IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

I really like it. It is the most ergonomical cable I have used so far… It’s very soft and flexible and not tangly at all… Also it looks super cool :slight_smile:

From a sound perspective the overall presentation is very clean without added warmth and there’s a shift towards the uper frequencies making them more enhanced but without sounding harsh.
It seems to remove some of the midbass bloat from Legend Evo or maybe better said it does not add anything to that range like a copper cable potentially would.

Only dislike I have is that the “lightweight” accessories are not that lightweight at all and you can feel the weight of them pulling down the cable making it just a little bit uncomfortable behind the ear. The part of the ear hook is braided aswell making it a bit edgy (see picture)
I think it would have been better to twist the cables for the earhook as you can see it with some bigger cores.
I therefore started using the cable with my Kinda Lava and in that combination it is not uncomfortable at all so it’s a win afterall :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Never really tried tbh but I know @GooberBM has modded his pair with success.

1 Like

What about them?
Looks like it already has a stainless steel filter on it.

I assume he means modding it, brother

3 Likes

A 300 grade damper should do away with that slight 2k peak sticking out without affecting the rest too much.

3 Likes

How much of that 8k Peak can be attributed to measurement artifact do you reckon?

Probably is somewhat accurate as the peak is pretty wide and not that narrow.

1 Like

I was going to mention it but didn’t… but as you’re specifically asking after this aspect of them, I do hear the 8k peak, and it’s one reason (the main one for me) for why I don’t like this set.

A lot of tuners add an 8k boost to either flat or L shaped tunings to balance things out. I can assume from people’s responses and how common of a choice this is, that for most ears that’s necessary and is a wise decision for a lot of anatomies/sensitivities.

For mine it doesn’t balance things out, it just suddenly overexaggerates 8k in the mix artificially and annoyingly. It’s been the Achilles heel of a lot of warm/bassy/immersive sets I would have otherwise loved.

Edit: RIP Rosefinch for the same reason

9 Likes

That’s a really great breakdown of the situation so thank you.

How effective is EQ in reducing? Too much resolution eliminated in the process?

Anyone hear Cadenza 4 yet? Does the beryllium slam as well as UP?

Sold my UP to my sis for 100 so I could buy the Mext and I miss the slam lol

Probably not.

1 Like

9 Likes

Sad times, rip me

1 Like

Fingers crossed I can afford it but I doubt lol

1 Like

For my ears the gain region is literally perfect, I would change it at all. It’s more so the 8k peak and where it lands for my HRTF. I can’t really get a deep fit with the pandas because of the bulbous shell and relatively short and thin nozzle causing the peak to shift closer to 6k (I think) which can sometimes screw up the timbre. I had to really tip roll with the pandas and finally landed on the largest Radius Deep mount clears I had to really balance the sound out. If my seating isn’t perfect though or I’m moving around… oof, I’m constantly shifting the IEMs in my ears and it causes discomfort after like, 45 minutes.

1 Like

Many of those pesky peaks are easily tamed with a simple reduction at the 8k slider…usually it’s less of an adjustment than one would think by looking at graphs.
By not going too far you won’t affect the adjacent frequencies enough to mess with overall tuning and resolution.

2 Likes

To add to this the extension past 8k keeps that energy up. I would prefer a little less after 7k with a more downward slope, especially for a planar. Honestly though it’s one of my favorite tunings and if they can bring down 7k+

2 Likes

First round, very brief, Aladdin tips:

Pula P01: these are tiny, and the rainbow barf is actually pretty in person vs photos. And they sound exactly like a modded Kiwiears Cadenza. They lean prison-mike, with a similar problem to stock Cadenzas: dry female vocals. Wide stage, not bad but should be a $25-$30 set.

Nuo: These are pretty good. Nothing jumped out.

EW200: The best so far. Feel like some charm of the E500 is absent. Reproduces very low tones but only just misses the rumble.

Swapped to spinfits (highlighter yellow core).

EW200: improved, listened for longer. Then decided to try the Nuo

Nuo: really super good all round, very impressed. Been listening to those since, haven’t retried P01.

Edit: Nuo feels a much nicer build than the Cinno. The material of the Cinno repulses me even when I remember it.

11 Likes

Earmuffs, @domq422!!!

3 Likes

I don’t know why I hated the build of it so much, must be some childhood trauma. The nuo’s nothing special in build, but it isn’t that.

3 Likes