IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Wouldn’t know, haven’t heard the Monarch. I legitimately LOVE the Clair, I just wish they had more of that sub-bass rumble. Everything from the midbass above is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l

Or maybe I should just buy another - cheaper - set of IEMs just for bass-indulgence
The Mangird Tea? What’s the consensus on sub-bass kings (that are ~300 or below)?

The Monarch is my favorite IEM out of my collection. It is also my bass king. At times with certain recordings I’ll even admit it’s a bit much at times but it becomes addictive. I miss it when I listen to anything else, so it’s ruining me for other more balanced IEMs. The Monarch has a clearer and much more detailed midrange than the Clair and a perfect treble FR with no harshness, all with an impressive soundstage. My only gripe is the shell size. I’m thinking about having my ears surgically altered to match the Monarch shell. :wink:

The Tea is IMO a mini-Monarch, but it doesn’t have as extreme of a sub bass shelf. It does the mid clarity with a sub bass focus with non-offensive treble like the Monarch but not as extreme. If you already have the Clair, I’d hold off for the Monarch and I’d skip the Oracle. My 2 cents.

The Monarch & Clair are not as similar as many might think. I feel they are quite different.

1 Like

Not selling my Clair. There’s not as much hi-fi buyers within the EU (thanks, brexit!) and the customs gamble is always gruesome. I can wait around another six months, there’s bound to be a new bass king in the coming months
There always is

1 Like

That sounds like a great idea. I know the urge to want to hear something different just for the sake of getting to hear it is huge, but if you enjoy the Clair as much as you do, you’d probably regret letting it go when you no longer had it in hand.

I learned that lesson years ago heavily regretting selling some guitars I owned.

3 Likes

Exactly! Appreciate what you have, people :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Somewhat put me in a hard spot here lol.

So personally I’m not immediately opposed to company reps being here if they are reasonable, so I’d like to give some MoT a chance when they join, but if it starts to become spam (somewhat like this situation now) then I think it’s justified to shut that down (hifigo was banned for this exact reason lol)

I will say I get a bit irked when I see company accounts reply to help threads or posts trying to “recommend” or promote a specific product to someone looking for advice, as imo that’s basically just trying to sell not help, and I don’t like the idea of exploiting people just looking for help. Examples of that here or here

Also not a fan of posts without context that just interrupt a discussion for no good reason either from a company account. Examples of that here or here (seriously what does this even add to the discussion besides something I have to scroll past?)

And I don’t like a company account promoting specific reviews either as that also feels more like a promotion tool than anything for their products. Examples of that here or here

I will mention I’m more supportive of company accounts for actual manufacturer or maker since they can provide more insight about their own products and offer deeper technical assistance if needed (it also inherently limits their ability to shill down to generally a few specific products if that ends up happening), where personally I see less value in a company account for a storefront or shop as imo the only real worthwhile thing they can offer is perhaps notifications on deals and discounts or new product arrival but that’s all general information you can easily find yourself and it doesn’t really need to be posted on a forum imo, as that honestly can become clutter.

The reason I say this is somewhat in a hard place for me is that I don’t like to be selective, I don’t know if it’s necessarily fair to allow some company accounts over others as that will bias the forum toward one way eventually (probably). But I kinda also think it’s very reasonable to disallow those who decide to use the platform for basically advertising and keep MoT who don’t do that.

I somewhat agree with what people have said so far, but I’m a bit more lenient than others, so I would suggest you try and limit what you post to meaningful and insightful content @shenzhenaudio. In the end while I or the other mods would end up pressing the actual button, it’s really the community here that will get you banned, so if you end up pissing them off again there’s a likely chance you won’t be allowed to participate here anymore

Perhaps if I had to lay down some unofficial guidelines

(For my personal beliefs on the purpose of a MoT at least)

Retailers/businesses/MOT should not post in help requests or promote their products to someone looking for advice.

Retailers/businesses/MOT can offer assistance when it comes to direct questions about their store/brand/service

Retailers/businesses/MOT should not send unsolicited direct/private messages to members

Retailers/businesses/MOT should not post or promote other reviews

Retailers/businesses/MOT should not create topics for products, and should not specifically bring up previously undiscussed products, but can respond to give meaningful information about new products if it has not been posted already

Retailers/businesses/MOT should limit their posts to meaningful content that’s goal is mainly to inform and explain, and not promote or attack, and spam will not be tolerated

Retailers/businesses/MOT should disclose who they are when discussing products they interact with or are associated with

Retailers/businesses/MOT should limit the number of links posted in general

Retailers/businesses/MOT can create a generalized thread about their store or brand for things like product announcements for non retailers, or sales/deals/information on the store for non producers, AS LONG AS that information stays inside that thread and is not copied or reposted to other threads

Retailers/businesses/MOT should not compare their product or service to another competing product or service

And many other things I haven’t really thought about since this was off the top of my head lol

17 Likes

I agree. And I have seen several companies being super helpfull and helping out in a way only they can; but also the opposite as you have shown in your post. And I hate to make rules that also strike “the good guys”, but you can’t choose where the line has to go, without being wrong (at least not 100% correct).

I just find it is crossing my line of what’s acceptable, when companies use a forum as a marketing channel to sell more and not as a support to customers. The wise companies know, that the latter will give them more income in the long run anyway.

Thanks for giving your thoughts and a solution, I find it usefull and fully acceptable.

Ohh… and sorry for putting you in a hard spot (almost) :wink:

3 Likes

Welp a new set of IEMs in now on my hit list, the SSRs can go away for a while because the BLON BL05S piqued my curiosity and interest on it, since I have heard that it is an improvement over the non-S BL05. I love the BL03, therefore I will give the BL05 with the S version a chance.

1 Like

Anybody else here is an alien with completely different ear canals?
Nearly every IEM i get i have to use with differently sized tips, large/medium on the left, small on the right.

3 Likes

I’m the same, small in my left and medium in my right. Thats generally how it goes.

2 Likes

I’m the opposite, medium left, and small right. Although I’ve been experimenting with smaller eartips to get a deeper seal.

2 Likes

Medium left, large right in my case. It can be an advantage sometimes. If you have tips in all sizes you’ll have two sets of tips you can use in stead of one. I have bought the final audio e1000, and now I have two sets of tips, one for the blon and one for my fh3 :+1:

3 Likes

That’s actually a good way to see it!

I was told when I went to the Audiologist for ear impressions that its pretty common to have different size ear canals. Personally iirc, my right canal is a bit weird and starts wider and goes more narrow, whilst also going up a bit. My left canal is a lot more straight like most people’s.

2 Likes

So… I got 3 IEMs that I just have to have besides me, so I’m looking for a case that will fit 3 iems (with their own cables, so 3x1.2m cables and ideally also will fit the earstudio es100.

I use now a case from tri:

But it only fits 2 IEMs. Can anyone recommend me something that will fit 3?

Thanks

Maybe :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’m not sure what it’s called, but the style/shape of case that comes with both the Reecho x Peacock Spring and Audio Lokahi might fit the bill. I’ll try to post it later if I can find it.

1 Like

This is a case for IEMs plus DAP, but it looks like it could comfortably carry 3 sets: SHANLING C3 Storage Box for Portable mp3 Players M0 M1 M3S M5S — HiFiGo

1 Like

Ok. Bought some cheap amazon basics https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QPV9JSG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_K0KKVCF04CAMS8FR94M2

Will see how it goes today

1 Like

Well, this would be more than perfect for you if it wasnt so expensive.

3 Likes