IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I was also thinking the volume issue that was mentioned on the 5K could be the gain is set to low.

I was pretty sure I remember reading it has a high and low setting that changes between 1 VRMS and 2 VMRS. On that low gain it could be much quieter than the BTR3K. I own the BTR5 and it has a high and low as well, and it was a big jump in output volume.

Possibly although the volume was only an issue on my phone. On my computer it got a lot louder. Maybe those settings change based on source?

1 Like

Are you maxing out your volume on your phone then using Qudelix-5k to control volume? Itā€™s generally advised to do this but I forgot the reasoning - something to do with minimising info loss

Yes it the best to max out phone volume

Yeah I was. I think something might have qlitched on the Q5K because both are the same and can get very loud.

That is how the BTR5 works too, and I had to check the settings for each source that I connected.

I know that most people will say turn the source up and adjust volume on the DAC. I see the logic in that, but I tend to do it the opposite way. Being able to have two sources at the same time was why I bought the BTR5 in the first place. I set the BTR5 around 50 ( 60 is the max ), and then turned both my laptop and phone to where they needed to be, that way I could adjust each independently. It also gave me control of my music volume on my desk/keyboard.

I did this journey all backwards. My first amplifier was bought so I could hook my phone and computer to the same headphones. I had a BTR5 and a pair of KZ ZS10 Pro for work, and realized my SHP9500 sounded better in the BTR5. Next thing I know, I am watching YT videos, then I end up here reading about better IEMs and learning about why I like or dislike different headphones and IEMs.

Yes that work but not dry portable.

1 Like

Agreed, if you want to use the buttons on the 5K then phone all the way up, and 5K down.

I tend to do the BTR5 in my pocket, so I can walk around, and I rarely use the buttons on it. So my use case is probably not typical.

Initially I wanted to describe why it is better to keep BT source volume at max, but then found this interesting piece on quora why it may not be the best idea at least in Android OS. Quite perspective changing, especially since even in the Q5k app it is written, that maxing the source volume is desirableā€¦

1 Like

Hmmm I personally wonā€™t believe it without some sources from Google. It doesnā€™t make much sense to me to have this weird switch

My current phone ( Samsung S20 ) even shows the volume in a different color when it thinks it might have to clip, it goes from black to a weird orange color.

Apple phone but former android LG always controlled volume with either the BT 5 or K5.

Iā€™ve always heard a difference in my cars Bluetooth audio when maxing out the source (my phone). When the volume is down on my phone, the low end becomes noticeably lighter. But with my 3K Iā€™ve never noticed a difference honestly.

1 Like

With the 5K, I donā€™t believe volume matters between source and device. I read somewhere in the companion app that the 5K uses volume matching or something like that, making the volume always high on the source not necessary.

5 Likes

It does that when it thinks the volume will be too high for your ears, not when the signal will distort.

It even days that specifically, with a sentence like " pushing the volume too high could result in eating loss" .

My pixel 4a and my galaxy tab 10 do that too

1 Like

Just came across this song and the first 40 seconds are great for testing timbre, sub bass and stage imo. So good!

1 Like

I thought to try some Final E tips on the Oriveti OH300s, to tame the occasional sibilance on vocal syllables. I already love the tuning on these, the sibilance on occasion was the only issue for me. Well 15 minutes later, still no sibilance. Iā€™d only really been trying wide bore tips.\

These are very high recs from me, even for hybrids. Easily in my top 10 for musical enjoyment, it might be tricky getting more specific after thatā€¦ could quite likely be in the top 6 somewhere though.

4 Likes

Great summary post on ways to (reversibly) mod your IEM:

@paulwasabii you probably know all the tricks of the trade but tagging you just in case :wink:
I might try the 80% coverage of metal nozzle mesh on my S12 instead of front vent tape to tame the treble peaks

2 Likes

has ANYONE actually gotten a moondrop chu that isnā€™t a reviewerā€¦ Iā€™ve been waiting a month for the shenzhen shipping

Pretty decent but they are missing the good stuff. Like using blutack, tuning foams and X meshes. :smirk:

2 Likes