IEM guys, what do you usually use as your source?

I have the bare minimum gear now; sold off a BUNCH of stuff 5+ years ago, pretty much left the hobby. I used to be all about 2-channel speaker rigs, then transitioned into desktop near field, then to headphones with all flavors of DACs and (mostly solid state) amps.

Now, I am all about portable, even for around the house. The only non-smart phone transducers I have owned for the past 5.5 years is my trusty, much loved Sony XBA-Z5. I recently sold (for super cheap) a Astell & Kern AK120ii and replaced it with a Sony ZX-507. I spent ~$1,600 (not even full retail at the time) on the AK120ii end of 2014. The ZX-507 I got from Japan for $770 including (stupid) state sales tax with free 2-day shipping. I am amazed at the comparative sound quality we can get now for soooo much cheaper than only 5-6 years ago.

I doubt I’ll dive back full-on into this hobby, but I am shopping around for a mid-price pair of IEMs, and it’s possible I’ll pony-up cash for a new “flagship” DAP over the next 12-18 months as well. I just love the convenience of portable, and the sound quality we can get with that is amazing.

2 Likes

Currently at home IEM use is primarily via RME-ADI 2fs. To me this a great DAC/amp for my IEM enjoyment.

Once in a while I want to warm up the SQ and just listen to more relaxed, laid back sound so I will run my Ifi micro BL to my Decware CSP2 then feed my Sugden headmaster and that is one hell of a winning synergistic combo right there. Clean but with a very warm and lively non-fatiguing sound, black background, no hiss and Perfectly rolled off edges that easily puts me in nap mode if I have blues, jazz, organ music or anything with highlighted vocals playing.

I also really like the RME and monoprice liquid spark combo for IEM use, not as precise sounding as the previous combo but a very relaxed warm sound signature From the liquid spark when used from the RME DAC. The liquid spark is a hidden gem in my humble opinion for IEM use. Cheap clean power with no added hiss or noise. Warm sound sig which compliments fine with most moderately priced DAC’s for mid-Fi IEM use.

I still really enjoy my XDUUO original with updated Burson OP amps for on the go IEM use. It does the job well and has very general SQ that fits most genres “good enough” across the spectrum so I don’t feel lacking one way or another when on the road and it has power to spare for any IEM in my small stable…

2 Likes

Been using a Volumio Primo and Schiit Heresy since the beginning of the year and I’m pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Primo DAC …very punchy and plenty of detail.

1 Like

Thinking of maybe adding a Hugo2 to my iFi Micro to my IEM sources…worth it it or not :man_shrugging:

1 Like