IEM/Starter IEM recs budget is around $400

Oh no wonder. I was already planning on stretching my budget but I didn’t think it got that crazy. I guess the separation isn’t as insane as with headphones.

The crappy part of the mid-tier has two different reasons.

1. You are buying the experimental and flavor of the month of chi-fi. Keep in mind that chi-fi does NOT have much in the R&D department. We as consumers are the R&D. We complain about something, they release a PRO version that fixes it, but we end up buying both products. They will throw in the hot thing such as beryllium drivers and tuning, but nobody really researched or tested it much.

or 2. You are also buying the bottom of the barrel and also experimental tuning of the better companies.

That’s why I mentioned either skip the mid and try something good or vice versa, experiment with the very cheap stuff until you find out what you like.

What do you guys think of the Moondrop Blessings? I found someone selling that for $250.

Tanchjim Oxygen > Moondrop Blessing 2

1 Like

Thanks! I’m guessing these are slightly similar but way better?

B2 sounds unnatural with a lot of BA timbre, while it is a tad better in technicalities.

The B2 is very big too so it isnt comfortable.

I take the Oxygen over the B2.

1 Like

Tin HiFi T2- $49.99
JVC HA-FDX1 - $200
Sony Mdr-ex800st - $242.60
Meze Rai Solo - $250
Tanchjim Oxygen - $269
Mangird Tea - $299
LZ A7 - $338
Oriolus Forsteni - $340
FiiO FH7 - $449
Final Audio B3 - $499
Noble Savant II - $499
Oriolus - $782
Campfire Andromeda - $1,099
Hyla Sarda - $1,250

So far everything that has been suggested. I’ll try and find more info as I go along.

Add the Tanchjim Oxygen to that list. :+1:

2 Likes

I recommend using hifishark.com to find used prices for those.

1 Like

Just got Sony IER-M7 from Amazon. I really like it so far. Sounds great, comfortable and has an understated look. It comes with several tips and two cables. I am using BTR5 as Dac/Amp with it.

1 Like

They look very nice. Are they clear and not overly bassy?

Just ordered one of these for myself and thought you might be interested.

These are BA drivers and the bass is usually less than dynamic driver from what I read.

I personally think the bass level is just right and really depends on the tips used. I am using the silicon ones. The mid is nice. I had Focal Elegia before, I think the Sony has more relax sound. I feel I can use this longer. Most of the reviewers categorize the Sony as a ‘boring’ IEM for good and bad.

Does this have a volume control? I had Dragonfly before. I feel dongle is a little messy. I like FIOO BTR5 because of its bluetooth capability. It may sacrifice the sound a bit but I can’t tell the difference. And no dongle.

Yeah I believe it has volume control if I’m not mistaken. I had the Dragonfly red before and I had to attach a dongle to another dongle to use it and it was cumbersome so I ended up selling it. I’m thinking I might try one of the 90 degree OTG cables if I end up liking the Lotoo enough. Then figure out a way to attach it to the back of my phone case.