IEMs that are considered upgrades to Fiio FH3

Sounds like the fd5 will suit you then.

Although, I guess you are aware that the mids on the fh3 are quite forward. So going to the fd5, it will feel like they are recessed but it’s just the difference between them that makes you feel like that.

1 Like

Yes i found this information in this topic but i think it shouldn’t be big problem if they are not too recessed. Fh3 has really good mids but with some energetic sources sometimes this part could seem too much in my face so if v shaped sound is tuned properly it shouldnt be bad on fd5. So thanks for noting. Possibly if they will be on my local dealer i will listen first, but actually i trust info what i get here. This way i bought fh3 when you mr. Rikudou_Goku recommended as really good iem for the price and till i got them i am more than happy. So really big thanks for noting good models.

2 Likes

The FD5 is a great compliment to the FH3. I have no issues with the FD5 treble.

Do you feel fd5 is good for metal or speedy music. Fh3 is my number one for metal. They are made for this. I like planar headphones for their speed and control in bass that is not bloated. This is base for me.

The FD5 has a faster and tighter bass, so thats not a problem.

1 Like

My Fiio collection if anyone cares. If anyone wants my take on any of these sets, I’d be happy to discuss them. Hope you enjoy the photos. The FH3 is difficult to “beat” out of all of these IEMs.

7 Likes

Resolution, this is nice. You are a truth collector. Is it fiio your prefered brand or you have such collection from other brands also? From these iems what you are listening the most at the moment? And what iems you feel is best value/sound ratio from their line.

2 Likes

Thank you Listenwise. I have lots of different IEMs from different brands. I don’t have a favorite brand, but concerning Fiio, I appreciate the quality and design of their products especially for their price. I feel you always get great value with Fiio.

I personally feel the FD5 and the FH3 are the best Fiio have to offer. I also see the FD5 and FH3 are great compliments to one another. It just comes down to preferences. My least favorite of the bunch would probably be the FH7. It has the most extended/sharp treble, even with the bass filter in the nozzle which is supposed to tame the treble the most. I prefer a more laid back signature.

My favorite IEMs currently are the Thieaudio Monarch and the FD5. I own the Theiaudio Clairvoyance as well, but prefer the Monarch in most situations. Both fantastic IEMs with their estat treble. It’s like having beautifully extended treble that is never harsh or sibilant.

1 Like

Resolution, thanks for sharing, so you feel Fh7 has more extended treble than fd5? I remember that when i heard them long time ago it seemed that fh7 borderline to what i tolerate but still it was tolerable only wanted their treble to be a little bit relaxed so fd5 then for me shouldnt be any problem. Agree fh3 is really amazing for the price, hope to get fd to compare my self. You guys are really with knowledge so always good to hear your opinion

1 Like

You spelled it out perfectly. The FH7 might be a perfect IEM for treble lovers. Personally, I couldn’t imagine listening to it with the green (treble focus) filter. It would kill my ears.

Differences I hear between the FD5 and the FH3…

For me, the FD5 treble is not fatiguing at all. It sounds great. I love the speed of the FD5. I see the FD5 as Fiio taking their learning from whatever they did with the FH3 DD and made a single DD IEM out of it. The FH3 bass is so fast and controlled, I love it. But the BA’s in the FH3 have an unnatural timbre (crunchy) characteristic to their sound, but they sound very detailed.

The FD5 has all the speed and control of the FH3, but has a more natural/unified sound across the frequency. The sound is being created by one source so this makes perfect sense. VS the FH3, the mids and treble may not sound as detailed but more natural.

I also feel the imaging is more separated in the FH3. I always find hybrids/multiple BA IEMs have wider soundstage and clearer imaging.

2 Likes

Oh wow what a great collection!

So after playing with the tips for a bit, I think the Final Type E sound the best, might have to go with mediums though because the large i have to readjust the right side every 5-10min, but they sound as good as fiio’s bass tips in the fh3 box. I wish I could find foam tips that sound just the same, but from what I understand they’re gonna suffer similarly to how the foam tips that came with the fh3’s did. Unless there’s are some foam-silicone hybrids out there. I think I might give the spindots a go but I already have more tips than I need lol.

1 Like

Spiraldot’s are a wide bore so will reduce the bass and accentuate the treble responses a tad…Foamies suck IMHO lol.

Sony EP-TC50 (aka, triple-comfort)
Symbio W

I recommend the Sony if you want a hybrid tip, but pure silicone is still superior though.

You should try the Radius Deep mount tips then, even more treble (cleaner and airier overall sound) and yet also less peaky than the wide-bore tips.

Maybe a silly question, but what’s wrong with foams? I mean I don’t like how they fit since they are always too big, but as there drawbacks soundwise?
For some reason, with the FH3 at least, I feel like foams give bigger soundstage. I tried the included silicones and the spinfit cp100, but neither of those sound better than the included foams to me.
Unfortunately a lot of the go-to eartips are not or barely available where I live (final E, spiral dot, Sony hybrids and symbio W) so I can’t experiment a whole lot unless I want to spend a fortune to import them from overseas.

You gotta import them, no way around it. None of my audio stuff is available in sweden either.

You might be getting a better seal with the foams than the silicone tips you got. The only advantage sound wise with foams, is that they give you an easier fit = better fit → better sound. (indirect way to affect the sound that is.)

But foams also changes the sound alot and usually not in a good way, treble gets changed a lot for example.

It’s a personal thing but I find foam tips some how manage to stifle and congest the sound signature a tad where as a well fitting silicon tip allows a faster and cleaner playback.

1 Like

You might be getting a better seal with the foams than the silicone tips you got. The only advantage sound wise with foams, is that they give you an easier fit = better fit → better sound. (indirect way to affect the sound that is.)

For me this is the only reason that I use foams almost exclusively. Most of the time silicones never fit. Smalls are too small and I don’t get a good seal. Mediums are too big and just push themselves out of my ears. The fact that foams can expand into your ear and match its shape just means that they’ll actually stay in my ear.

This is why having a large collection of silicone tips is very important. But I do understand why some people dont want to do that, especially if they only got a few pairs of iems.

Thats why I consider foams the dark side of tips, easy to get a good fit but the sound you get isnt really natural.

Ah so maybe I need large tips then, I always thought I was a medium kinda guy. I’ll try the included large tips for a while then. I never know how to find out when I have the right size :confused: .

The best way in the beginning is to get a pack where you get all sizes. So you can learn what size fits you the best.

Although there are some tips where they are 1 size bigger than normal, like the Azla tips.