šŸ”· iFi Zen Dac/Amp v2

Pretty much all the headphones I like are low impedance, so it should be fine right? Iā€™ve heard thereā€™s only a problem on high impedance headphones. My next headphone buy will probably be cascades, and I really want to try the 3D button as 75% of my songs have that weird panning issue and sometimes makes me feel like I have hearing loss on one ear.

Yes, the CAN amp should be fine for most lo-Z loads. Watch out for very insenstivite low-Z loads, tho, as those could still create a problem.

Also, Iā€™m curious what you listen to thatā€™s 75% hard-panned. Can you give some examples?

You guys think with the 5v plug this would be enough to power Argons?

Lots of 70s prog rock. Lots of the earlier King Crimson and yes albums from 69-74 didnā€™t really have the best recording equipment, so all the drums and percussion is panned on the right for some reason. One of my favourite songs of all time, larks tongues in aspic part 1 has a severe problem with this.

i ordered v2 today, will a/b this weekend. i love my zen dac, having 2 for 2 different spots not a bad thing to me.

edit: i think i am going to order ifi 5v and a generic 5v to use and a/b test as well. currently powering from usb. will see if it will make a difference having a dedicated power supply, and if ifiā€™s is any better if it does.

edit2: haha well i preordered today anyways. didnt even pay attention to the fact it was pre-order haha. they ship in may.

1 Like

v1 powers my t60 argons. it just doesnt power them the best. the bass gets sloppy at about 50-60%. the sound stage also suffers some. mainly in my experience, the bass gets slopy kinda quick. it also wont power them to concert levels. it can work for them though until you get a better amp, or if you are like me, and listen at moderate to low levels.

I enjoy listening to the argons on it, but i have other, more powerful amps, that they sound better on. I would not recommend the bass boost using them though unless you want your cups shaking on bass notes lol.

1 Like

Interestingā€¦ Mine is out for delivery today:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B091B2JCXQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Yea, I got mine yesterday:

hmm amazon has it? didnt check amazon. everywhere else says pre-order including ifiā€™s website

Iā€™ll wait to see how you fell it performed with 5v adapter for the Argon, I have a SP200 currently.

2 Likes

does yours say v2 on the back? the pictures on the listing on amazon are of the v1.

I bought mine from the link provided by ifi:

3 Likes

Nice! the rear seems a little different to the v1?

Yes, it says V2 on the back :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Was just making sure, wouldnā€™t be the first time someone on Amazon sold the wrong thing. Got to take care of the community. I look forward to getting mine next week!

Mine arrived today as well, sticker on packaging and the unitā€™s silkscreening both denote V2.

@sebastien_chiu_iFi : I gotta say itā€™s a solid little unit, first iFi product Iā€™ve purchased (Iā€™m relatively new though).

1 Like

All good, no worries! Weā€™re pretty on top of Amazon.

1 Like

Glad youā€™re liking it! It is indeed quite a tough cookie.