šŸ”· iFi Zen Dac/Amp v2

He did not mention anything about GTO in his review, I am pretty sure he uses stock.

We usually recommend to AB both, get some solid time in with them, and then decide.

Everyoneā€™s set-up and ears are different, and only time will tell you what you like best.

Recently bought the zen dac v2 because of Zeos and this forums. so thanks! super happy with it.
My question is about no off switch.
My computer stays on 24/7 as it mines Etherium at night, so Iā€™ve been unplugging the usb cord so the zen dac isnt sitting on all night.

Do you think it would be better to just leave the amp running all night with volume down? unplug and replug every day? or is there some sort of usb on/off switch?

I just dont want to shorten the life span of my amp so thought I should ask :slight_smile: thanks!

This is my first time here. I have the original Ifi Zen Dac and with it came a USB connector. At the moment it is connected to my old laptop which has a 2.0 port. I need to get a new laptop the model in mind has only USB 3.1 port. Will my USB still fit into the USB 3.1port or will I have to get a specific connector with USB3.1. According to Ifi Audio the input of the Zen Dac will take 2.0 and 3.0 USB; that the DAC synchronized clock will deal with it but they do not confirm whether the other side of the USB connector will work with 3.1 Gen type A port? Also is there a USB 3.1 Type B also in existence. Its all so confusing and will appreciate any help or advice any one can give.

The numbers on USB standards designate technical specifications (power delivery, max throughput, etc.). Every generation is backwards compatible with the previous generations, so youā€™ve got nothing to worry about there.

The connection type (A, B, C) tells you what port is used. Type A ports are the standard rectangular ports. Type B ports are the ā€œdeviceā€ type ports (the D shaped ports for USB 1.0 and 2.0, USB 3.0 type B is the port on the back of your Zen DAC), and type C is the thin, oval, reversible wonder that everyone loves.

TL;DR: You should be able to plug your existing Zen DAC into the USB 3.1 type A port without a problem.

Thank you Blackscreen for your comprehensive reply. You say type B is for device type ports. Does that mean devices such as camera, recording machines (taskbar) , DVD/CD hard disks ?

Basically yes. Though I didnā€™t say it is specifically for devices, it just normally shows up on peripherals and not on computers.

This is the type B port for USB 1 and 2:

And hereā€™s the 3.0+ version:

Question, I got my Zen Dac v2 from the 11.11 sale this year, is it mandatory or advised that I update the software and firmwares listed on the site? @sebastien_chiu_iFi

What changes/updates do they bring?

Think the main difference was that those versions had different filter options but thatā€™s not something I can reliably hear so I didnā€™t go deeper in that rabbit hole :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

^ This is a big thing to keep in mind when it comes to discussing firmware.

The rest of it is a personal choice, go with what works best for you and the features you need, donā€™t think about it too much once you are settled on your personal preference.

1 Like

Got a zen dac v2 a couple of days ago, upgrade from the btr3 for desktop.
Gotta say I didnā€™t realise the monitor audio bronze 2 could slam like this before, a bit of a shock honestly even without the bass boost turned on.

One unfortunate realisation I had is that using the 4.4mm output on the back is rather expensive to actually use. 4.4mm to dual xlr cables are not sold locally except for the 80$ ifi one, aliexpress options are like 20$ minimum, and if I want to diy the jack alone is 10$ locally, 10$ more for the xlrā€¦

Guess Iā€™m sticking to the RCA.

Even though youā€™re still using RCA, glad youā€™re loving the Zen DAC! I hope you get to try out balanced eventually. The difference is worth it!

1 Like

I used to have a pair of Edifier active speakers that sounded too laser focus, small soundtage pinpointed to a very small area and a bit flat. The GTO filter sounded better on that one.

I since upgraded to a better system and the ZEN was killing me. Went back to the .2 firmware and I much preferred it.

I donā€™t know if anyone mentioned it yet but the GTO filter is sort of an MQA curve and, not wanting to get into the MQA drama, I much prefer my music without that. Just try it, in my case it was very system dependent.

2 Likes

Thanks for dropping your insight! We always encourage folks to spend some time with all the firmware options, and just go with whatever they like best!

Glad you did the same, for yourself and your personal tastes!

1 Like

My experience with IFI Zen DAC V2 in under a month.

It has some heft to it. Feels like quality.

I love the sound of the IFI Zen Dac V2. My 1st unit sounded warm, and I loved it. It lost half a channel through all the outputs. :cry: Within 72 hrs I had a replacement. I hooked it up last night and listened to it through balanced side which sounded good. But as soon as I started trying to play it through my active speakers (RCA connected) it had static and popping. I so wanted to love this product. That was the main reason I just sent it back for a full refund along with the IFI IPower X 5V low noise power supply. I also felt the replacement was not new as it was missing the sticker and the bag that the headphone adapter was in ( 2 items that were in the 1st order from Amazon). In a investigation, details matter. :wink: Iā€™m not saying that it is bad. I am just saying it is not our time. Maybe down the road in the future. I hope others have better luck.

I got my Zen DAC V2 in today. My initial thought is ā€¦ hefty and feels good. Next, the USB cable and included RCA cables are WAY too damn short. The inclusion of a 6" USB 3.0-Type B cable is not a good choice. If someone doesnā€™t have one of those cables laying around that longer, there will be issues getting it connected, same with the RCA cables.

Next impression, the driver install. Iā€™m still trying to get them installed. I have opened a support ticket on the iFi website but any help would be appreciated. Since the drivers wonā€™t install properly, I canā€™t update the firmware nor get it to work with my audio deck to control volume, but it is working .

So far it does sound better than what I had and my IEMā€™s donā€™t hiss at me the moment I plug them in . :slight_smile:

Responded to you on another thread :slight_smile:

Did you register your original ZEN DAC or ZEN DAC V2 with us when you bought it and said that we could contacting you about exciting iFi stuff? If so, keep an eye on your email for an exclusive ZEN DAC V2 offer!!

Guys, this evening. I think my Zen DACā€™s 4.4mm balanced output is screwed up now, probably is because of the electric discharge I have in my body. Now, everytime I put my 4.4mm plug from IEMs, it makes a popping sound like a driver flex and I can only hear sounds from the left piece but not from the right piece, nothing but static.

Also what sucks is that the warranty I have for it is now expired one year ago, therefore I cannot return it to the seller where I bought it from back in June 08, 2021. I donā€™t know what to do at this point but at least the 3.5mm unbalanced output still works fine and my IEMs didnā€™t get any damage.

Can you try to push the 4.4mm plug a little deeper?
When i plug mine in also only one side is playing but when i push it a little deeper, with a little more force, it sits even tighter and then both sides are playing.
This is only the case with the balanced output

I would also suggest plugging it in ā€œharderā€. This is a common problem when the connection is unstable at the source. Let me know if this problem persists!