Is it worth it? (Help requested chasing "end-game")

No. My goal in the original post was to ask is there a $1,000 open back used headphone that would be worth selling all of the gear I currently have (listed in the original post). I’m pretty set on the DX3 Pro. I’ve had 4 DACS in the $100-$350 range and that was my favorite. I just don’t want to go through the trouble of selling off everything, if the gap between Argon & Phantom and a higher-end headphone isn’t that great. From the feedback I’ve been getting on this forum is that the Argons are great and the Phantom is mixed, but they don’t compare to higher-end headphones. I’m kind of looking to put an end to the madness and settle on something I really love.

That was the goal. I really appreciate your feedback. Going to read it all, do more research and try to make a better decision in the future.

Thanks!

I haven’t heard it, but that was one of the headphones I was researching. By the descriptions, it was sounding like something I’d like based on what I already own.

I’ll research these. Are these considered a slam-dunk upgrade over both the Phantom & the Modhouse Argon?

Thanks!

They are an upgrade to phantoms but I don’t know about Argon.

1 Like

I sold them in a day on ebay.

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about alot of zmf headphones, but have never bothered to go out and try any

1 Like

Next I’m selling my Autuer. I’m selling to get Verite.

1 Like

I’m drooling seeing Z’s table at RMAF. I keep thinking, I could put an end to this speculation if I was in that room for two hours. :slight_smile:

I hide my hobby from my wife and to go to RMAF or any show would be impossible. I wouldn’t know what to do with myself at one of these events.

1 Like

Yeah, hearing stuff in person is the best way to figure out what you want, but sometimes that isn’t an option unfortunately

I hear you on that! I should be smart enough to hide the hobby from my wife (but I’m not). :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Exactly. That is why I do very appreciate the feedback from more experienced audiophiles who have tried different headphones that I haven’t touched.

same boat she gave me 3rd degree when I shipped my Aeolus.

1 Like

The simple solution that doctors don’t want you to know to fix this issue is not to have an so lol

1 Like

This process has helped a little bit though. I’m learning a lot. When I got the Argons I never thought I’d need anything else. Loved the bass and assumed I must be a bass head.

When I got caught up in the Phantom hype, I noticed that I cared more about sound stage and the detail that the Phantom has (at least by the mods I’ve done) over the Argon. I love the full, rich sound the Argon produces, but I crave the detail and sound stage more.

So it was useful to get the Phantom, I just have to be more judicious in my purchases. Can’t afford to keep buying any $300-$500 headphone I fall in love with over a few videos.

Most people I know also tend to start off craving bass and a v shaped signature, and then grow to appreciate a more refined and nuanced sound, so your not alone. Its all about the experience and process. It’s no fun starting off from the high end

1 Like

My headphones have owned or used.
lcd2c
lcdx
hd650
hekv2
he400i
Aeolus
Eikon
Autuer
elex
t60rp
empyrean
rad-0
phantom
aeon flow closed

If y’all are interested just check my profile for what i’ve got and what I used to have

I’m not typically a jealous person, but I’m damn jealous of that list.

What did you think of them? I’ve never went out and heard a pair, but they have always looked pretty nice