Is there any options

Y’all got my head spinning. It sounds like y’all saying the ad700x isn’t actually that good but yet I was recommended it on here.

So you saying I should upgrade?

Haha. I think AD700x(or 500x) are the best you can get for that price, pretty much. :slight_smile: But, they may not have a sound signature that feels natural to you. If that is the case, you should try another headphone(or IEM) around that price range, based on what you think might sound more natural to you.

All you can really do to tweak the sound is software EQ, and pad swapping, but that won’t change positional accuracy(which is just OK for those). For example, increase 53Hz to hear crawling sounds in PUBG better, or use a volume limiter/compressor to hear footsteps better.

1 Like

What would be my upgrade options will give me better positional audio

If you can keep your AD700x, I would try an IEM out. If you want to try another headphone, hm…

IEM:

• Urbanfun YBF ($59-69 - absolutely love them)
  • QKZ VK4 ($12 - haven’t heard them yet)

Earbud:

• Yincrow RW-9 ($26-ish - not quite natural sounding, but sound pretty good in games to me)

Headphone:

• Hifiman Sundara ($350 - extremely accurate, but sound thin/light)
  • HD660 ($499 - look for used/sale. I like them a lot in general, but not as accurate(or thin) as Sundara)
  • DT880 or DT990 ($150-ish - a different sound than Audio-Technica; not my preference/taste)
  • HD58X / 6XX ($200-ish - I’ve heard good things, but would get HD660 over these)
1 Like

I’ll go check all them out

The HD660 you can find for 400$. ive seen them go on sale for that price

Honestly the dt880 and 990 are the only ones that is priced reasonably imo, does it matter which version I get

DT880 has the most balanced, “better” sound to me. DT990 is more V-shaped, and bright. DT’s can often be excessively bright, and you might not like it. Soundstage might be larger on the 990. Make sure you can return them if you don’t like the sound!

2 Likes

I’d try Fidelio X2HR, actually. Give that a shot :slight_smile: But I would still highly suggest the YBF, which you might still be able to hear sounds better with than X2HR/DT880/DT990-level headphones. If you get both, then you can try both out, and return the headphone if it doesn’t win. And there’s no small loss on the YBF, since it’s gonna sound great. It’s important to get that experience with both, so you know the answer for yourself(and attain more general audio experience & knowledge).

Those actually may go down in price a bit once the x3 and new shp come out… rumored to release next month but the bass is quite a bit on the heavier side for competitives. Still one of my favorite set of headphones in its price range.

This