Is zeos as bad as people say?

I’ve only been watching for about a year so… I’m assuming I just don’t see the changes you see :slight_smile:

I’ve been watching for a long time, so yeah. Like I said, I saw the change happen after he moved. I miss old Zeos. I still watch every review he makes. I just get upset when he states things even I know are completely wrong. I’m disappointed, I want to reach through the screen and strangle him and give him the correct info. But he doesn’t seem to care. Sigh.

I’ve spent lots of money because of Zeos’ recommendations and expertise. He’s the reason I own a ZMF Aeolus. I’ve put a lot of trust in him in the past and it just hurts to see him change his review style. I can’t take any recommendation he makes seriously with his current (hop in front of the camera and screw around) review style.

I have listened to his talking for like 6 years now. :slight_smile:
Still taking the reviews from “entertainment” perspective and not from a professional audio engineer levels. Think i like his voice the most. lol <3
Much less cooking videos now days and that is a real shame!
All the salt and butter everything. :heart_eyes: Entertainment people!

I agree, there’s definitely been a change since he moved…

1 Like

He cashed out

1 Like
2 Likes

He has introduced me to a lot of gear, some of which I have bought. None was junk, but some didn’t match my preferences and were sold on.

I look to him to show me new products and then I go in research mode; read every review I can find, watch every YouTube video and look for a thread on Head-Fi on the product. Maybe even check out HiFi Guides. :grin:

6 Likes

I’ve so far been happy with what I bought based on his recommendations both from videos in the old appartment and the new house.

Though I am the type to make an dicision based on multiple reviews, not one :stuck_out_tongue:

As for misinformation… The examples I saw brought up here are the Focal ‘MG’ thing which… if the meaning of the MG in the name of the product made you buy or not buy a product… Again, your choice. uut a little weird :stuck_out_tongue: Same for the drivers in an IEM… That’s not what you buy a product for right? Don’t you do it for how it sounds and feels?

Or am I doing the audiophiling wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

Zeos used to be the expert. He knew his shit cold. Now he doesn’t even know what kinds of drivers or how many of them are in the IEM he’s supposedly been listening to before his review.

This is one of the worst reviews I’ve seen…

Mis-information, no homework up front, and he’s doing his evaluation and impressions during the review?

If you’re not up-to-speed with the items he’s reviewing, his product mis-infomation is probably going right over your head, but for some of us, we are losing our minds as he’s stating things that are completely wrong about the product he’s reviewing. This is unacceptable no matter how you look at it.

If you’re enjoying Z’s reviews for the entertainment value, cool! But if you’re hoping to be technically informed about a product, I wouldn’t trust him currently, which is difficult for me to say. He used to be expert level about everything he reviewed and extremely knowledgeable.

Point is… I’m not making reviews, and I’ve known more about many of the products Zeos has reviewed, just from me personally doing my own homework. When I know more about a product than a reviewer does, that’s a red flag for me that I’ve possibly outgrown the reviewer unfortunately.

2 Likes

I find him to be a product placer and he is only doing it for the money. On the day one thing can be the bees knees and tomorrow he’s changed his mind. I found out the hard way. I like him but there is too much chat that is really needed. If your looking for a product I would look at more than his views. I was on his forum and I cancelled 2 months later as I did not get anything from it

1 Like

Like many people on here, I got my intro to hifi thanks to Z. He puts a lot of energy into his reviews and they are very entertaining (to me at least). For a long time I took his reviews as authoritative and followed his guidance. But over time (read lots of buy/sell) I learned that I don’t hear music the same way he does. And that I need a range of reviewers to follow, especially a reviewer who hears music similar to me.

He’s never been the detail guy. But for me he captures the emotion of different pieces of equipment. That’s very subjective, but I’ve found that while I don’t share his preferences for sound, I do react similarly to new equipment as him. There’s an enjoyment of music and gear that he has, which is infectious. It leads to impulse buying (bad) and it leads to trying new things I wouldn’t try otherwise (good).

So I follow him, enjoy his reviews, and check out other reviews before I buy. But that’s true of almost any YouTube channel - never buy based on one guys opinion.

[edit] I’ll add that Z was part of creating the HiFiGuides forum. And I think Z’s enthusiasm for audio, along with his ability to see the fun in the hobby over the technical seriousness of it, is reflected here. We get technical, but it’s not the end goal. Lot’s of technical errors go by here with no one saying a word. Because the goal is to have fun, enjoy the gear, and enjoy the music. Makes it a great place to hang out.

18 Likes

Audio is worse than golf in this respect. Spending $10K on an IEM + unicorn-tear-tempered cable confers “expertise” on an audiophile immediately.

I mean, I know guys who have bought themselves golf games through high $$ equipment & lessons, but at least they are putting in some work. In Audio, you just gotta say “I bought this!”, show some pics, use the same terminology about “spatial cues” and “micro-dynamic layering”, etc, and BOOM!! AUDIO EXPERT

3 Likes

I feel kinda bad for posting my thoughts earlier because it probably sounds like I don’t like Zeos. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Zeos has been my favorite reviewer on YouTube and he’s the biggest reason I’m into this hobby as much as I am.

I miss the old days when it appeared Zeos took his reviews and opinions more seriously than what I’ve witnessed as of late.

5 Likes

I’ve watched him since 2019, and my obsession over how people describe audiophilia, sound, and the technicalities have led me to go way back into his channel to dig out his earlier reviews (and I’m not only watching his channel for my personal purchases). If you’re talking about the quality drop after he moved, he basically only expanded and went deep into his reviews on IEMs after the move. But IEMs are an extremely tricky piece of technology:

• Tiny, hence quality control is harder than headphones
  • Chi-fi is greedy in jamming too much stuff into the driver spaces, but tubes, armatures have only so much space to perform
  • Manufacturer tend to over-elaborate the description of sound while doing a sloppy job putting the details of the build correctly (BLON is notorious for this as with the booming industry of Chi-fi IEMs)
  • Different tips change sound drastically
  • Fit is very subjective and messes with sound by a slight margin
  • Cable quality sways the opinion a lot
  • Hard to build a sound demo rig
  • Human ears are not used to sound being produced IN the ear canals, which results in some reviewers placing too much emphasis on the comfort of the tip (sense of touch) than the quality of the sound (sense of sound).

All these variations contribute to the easy hit-or-miss between different users. With the mass of Zeos’ review focusing on IEMs after his move, I could see why his experience doesn’t translate that well to the audience.

Oh and never forget he listens to headphones and IEMs on many high-end DAC/Amps as a norm, and that changes the sound signature. If I could say one thing that I wish Zeos would change, is that he could test the IEMs on his laptop’s or phone’s 3.5mm jack since the majority of people uses IEMs for portable use. I’m not trying to defend him; I’m just saying there are too many variables at play when doing sound testings.

8 Likes

One thing I’d add about his iem reviews is that I wish he would actually use more than just dekoni tips with everything

5 Likes

YouTubers change… That is so for everyone and a lot of the early fan-base often dies off during this ‘change’. I mean even beyond that. People change :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve lost interest in many of my favorite youtubers.(AnderZEL, Ethoslab, Austin Evans, DoItWithDan, YummiR6,…)

I don’t think it’d make for a better review if he didn’t get the seal right or had to take them out every 5 minutes because they don’t sit him well… I too just use the same two types of tips for all my IEM (blue T2 foams or Type E’s)

It would make it a more thorough review though since the tips are a huge part of what makes an iem sound like it does, for example with my graces, foam tips really suck out the bass and make it sound like a completely different iem. The best iem reviews that I’ve seen IMO are ones that go into depth about tip rolling, source pairing and cable rolling to give you the best idea of how an iem will sound on a wide variety of gear etc.

2 Likes

Hm. I find I experience very little difference with tips… Pretty sure it’s a personal thing.

Once again, the conclusion people seem to miss is don’t watch one single reviewer. I bought fiio FH3’s (my most expensive IEM, I know it’s still ‘cheap’) based on many many reviews!

Personal preference plays a big part, but just like with different pads on headphones, tips can alter the sound, sometimes quite a lot, sometimes it’s very subtle.

Yeah I tend to watch most of the bigger reviewers on YouTube although my preference is always the written reviews on headfonics or headfonia.

Too much shit to review, thus the shootouts and lack of detail. Lots of companies pushing many things and only one man doesn’t lead to great content. It’s entertaining for sure, but not informative anymore. Case in point last ‘review’ (DA-9) where he didn’t actually talk about sound, despite him saying ‘but zeos what about the sound’. If I recall correctly he then got sidetracked and rambled about something else lmao. I will say though, he is SUPER consistent on one thing to give him credit:
Plugging all his telegram and patreon bs lmao
/shrug