It all starts at the source, the music. Why your stuff sounds good or bad

Hmmm, maybe i should have been a bit easier on the title, but i can tell the difference between a poorly recorded tape cassette that was initially recorded off the radio, or a song that was recorded/mastered while sitting on a rock next to a lake with the wind blowing, or even better yet a song recorded with the volume almost maxed out across the whole frequency spectrum very often. Maybe, i am not being clear here, i’m not simply speaking about good music played off a computer i’m speaking about all source material. And yes, some of us still listen to old mix tapes recorded off the radio from thirty years ago, and even the radio itself many times :rofl:
I agree the room, treatments and speakers play A very large role, BUT i was being critical of folks who blame the equipment when the source material is of dubious nature. Like i just attempted to explain :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yup, I fully agree with that. Crappy source is…well it’s crap lol. I use Spotify for discovery and the quality grates on me. As soon as I find something I like I get the CD. Even if the CD was not well recorded, mastered, etc., it’s always better.

1 Like

Is there a standard of what is a master, raw unedited recordings or can a master be edited mixed engineered version the artist/producer approves for release ?

For older music recorded on master tape did the record company transfer the recording to digital like movie studio.

What version is being sold under super hi-rez.

2 Likes