Jazz recommendations anyone?

I’ve been listening to some of Herbie’s early to mid 70’s albums. Crossings is mind blowing

2 Likes

Great recommendation!

Did this one come up? Fantastic start to finish. The live concert tracks sound even better than the studio tracks I think.

1 Like

Some nice recs. Thanks.

New album from Tyshawn Sorey, with Aaron Diehl and Matt Brewer

2 Likes

I’d love to recommend some artists and albums if you’re able to specify an preferences- new or old, swign or latin or a different pocket/groove? Have you been blown away yet by any artists recommended already?

I’ll recommend 1 old and 1 new artist regardless- I find BADBADNOTGOOD is an awesome genre bending trio out of Canada making music with rappers and instrumental trio music. Then I’d always recommend Sarah Vaughn as a highly skilled, underappreciated vocalist as most think Ella Fitzgerald when thinking female Jazz vocals, when Sarah was a vital contributor to the genre as well!

1 Like

Fan of this drummer:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/242041937

Speaking of drummers…and 2 other really GOOD musicians!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuzaaoWOg9I
2 Likes

Modern fusion’ish act that I enjoy (two full albums released, I think…anyway, I have both):

1 Like

Just found this bassist tonight, courtesy of none other than @ZeosPantera: https://tidal.com/album/229660543

Senri Kawaguchi :drum:
:pinched_fingers:

1 Like

Really pleasant light album: Horizons | Jasmine Myra
Incredibly detailed jazz album: The Call Within | Tigran Hamasyan
Dope artist and album: Heat Wave - Ahmad Jamal (Full Album) - YouTube

1 Like

I didn’t want to post links as the post would have been HUGE! I wrote this in another forum, but I wanted to share it here for anyone that might be interested.

I would never try to write a list of best artists or best albums. I am too ignorant about jazz for that.
But, what I do want to do is list what artists and albums are my go-to right now. The list is, of course, Very fluid.

1. Art Blakey - Moanin’ (1958)
  2. Lee Morgan - The Cooker (1957)
  3. Keith Jarrett - The Concert at Koln (1975)
  4. Pepper Adams - 10 to 4 At The Five Spot (1958)
  5. Nubya Garcia - SOURCE (2020)
  6. Donald Byrd - Black Byrd (1973)
  7. Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay 40th Anniversary Edition (1970/2002)
  8. Makaya McCraven - Deciphering the Message (2021)
  9. BBNG - BBNG 2 (2012)
  10. Jimmy Smith - The Sermon! (1959)
  11. Shirley Scott - Shirley Scott & The Soul Saxes (1969)
  12. Clarence Clemons - Peacemaker (1995)
  13. Miles Davis - “Four” & More (1966)
    AND
    Merci Miles! Live at Vienne (2021, but the concert was in 1991)
3 Likes

I have to mention Roy Hargrove in this topic.
It’s the ONE in the jazz genre who make young people coming back to this kind of music.
Everybody knows “strasbourg st denis”, dedicated to one of the best jazz club in Paris (and the world?): The New Morning (located in the strasbourg st denis district).

And of course, one of the best Jazz album of the turn of the century: Hargroove, with his RH Factor group.

1 Like

Nice recs!
I’ve been enjoying these two albums today:

https://tidal.com/album/49898066

https://tidal.com/album/15524212

Begin with the classics: Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue”, John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme”, and any Louis Armstrong or Ella Fitzgerald. For modern jazz, try Kamasi Washington or Robert Glasper.

1 Like

I’ve been getting into Jazz lately and have listened to a few really good albums.

I’ve primarily used jazzwise.com as a resource. I usually like 2-3 albums from the monthly editor’s choice article. Their yearly best of lists are pretty good, too.

I like looking up the artists on bandcamp and listening before buying.

The last couple of albums I have really liked have been “Travel” by The Necks
Listen to the album on bandcamp here: Travel | The Necks

You don’t need an account to listen.

“Forest Floor” by Fergus McCreadie is another one that grabbed me. Just UNREAL playing. The first track really picks up. The energy is incredible.

bandcamp link: Forest Floor | Fergus McCreadie

I’ve also really liked the 2015 album collaboration between Joshua Redman and Bad Plus

I couldn’t find that album on bandcamp but Redman has another one called LongGone that is exceptional.

bandcamp link: LongGone | Joshua Redman Brad Mehldau Christian McBride Brian Blade

I’ll leave it there (for now) heh.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to a lot of cool Japanese jazz lately… Here’s a young band JABBERLOOP who have some serious chops…Kind of a cross between jazz fusion, jazz dance, jazz funk hip jive…
Similar to Snarky Puppy in the way they swing in an uptempo vibe…

Many more great tunes from this talented young band…,I’m going to buy some of their music…

4 Likes

Some of my favourite jazz songs that I’ve come across in 2024:

3 Likes

I’m not sure if any soul jazz has been recommended(it’s a long thread), but it’s my favorite type of jazz. It’s usually a trio including a Hammond B-3 organ, then a guitarists and drums. For some contemporary you can check out Medeski Martin & Wood. These guys have become my obsession.

Then for the old cats from the 60’s there’s Jimmy Smith, Big John Patton, Dr. Lonnie Smith and Shirley Scott.

And sometimes it’ll branch out to a quintet, with a saxophonist. Eddie Lockjaw Davis and Stanley Turrentine wail the blues on the tenor sax.

This is enough to get anyone started into the soul jazz. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like