Jbl 305p / adam t5v help an questions

The Yamahas are quite popular with many using them primarily for production due to their apparent relative neutrality but are known to be bright and fatiguing. I’ve little to no plans to do any mixing so admittedly I’ve never bothered to audition them and so can’t really say anymore. I guess the only way to know if the store tried to influence the sound of the HS5 and 305p is to go through their setup and interface if possible and to ensure that lows and even highs are set correctly on the speakers.

I meant to clarify this in my previous post, but I can only share my perspective and cannot confirm what will work for you in your setup. What I can say is that many consider 5" to be ideal for a bedroom setup, but since you’re using it for mixing, you would probably want to pair them with a sub, but again sub setup comes with notable challenges, particularly in rooms like bedrooms. If your bedroom is big enough for ideal placement of 7" speakers, then they are a perfectly reasonable consideration that don’t strictly require a sub and which can easily be turned down in the case of overkill.

I also listen to metal/hardcore so I perfectly understand your desire for enough lows. That’s precisely why I would pick the 7" T7Vs over the “better” 5" T5Vs if I could. In short, 6.5"/7" and above is ideal if you do heavy music, but if you’re restricted for space in a bedroom, 5" speakers can do a more than decent job. Coming from this reference point, I’d say that Yamahas are probably not the way to go. You can’t get much better than the Mackies for the low-end, while the Adams are slightly more balanced with a bit less lows for cleaner highs.

1 Like

I know that what you say here is coming from your perspective and knowledge what I meant is that a lot of people say that a 5” is enough for most bedrooms the experience I had in the store just made me feel like something will be off and wanted to reassure this, I do understand that this can be different depending on a lot of factors but in most cases it should do the trick.

I don’t mind putting the extra buck for a 7” mostly because I have a pretty good deal and it wont hurt me if I invest a bit more, even though I can make a decent setup for a 7” to work with my room it’s not ideal and doesn’t seem necessary that’s why I believe the 5” should do the trick but if needed I will go for a 7”, the jbl 305 didn’t had a problem with the low end only with the high which seemed a bit weird to me since the 306 didn’t and both have the same size tweeter.
Im going on sunday to hear the adam t5/7v and there is another store close to it that has the jbls so I’ll probably go and give them another listen.

1 Like

Don’t forget to push the little switches on the back for +2/-2db bass and/or treble. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does this remain the case when listening in mid field from 2-3m away or is it only the case for a desk setup? Can the depth still be perceived from distance?
Asking because I’m looking for speakers to put next to a TV, not my desk. I’ve read a review saying that the T5V is better in almost every case, only in midfield for music the T7V might be the superior choice

While I loved them in near field, I thought the T5V sounded a little thin 2-3m away. Even with a subwoofer, they didn’t fill a larger space very well.

I ended up upgrading to the A7X so I can’t comment on the T7V specifically but in general, I think a bigger speaker fills a bigger space better.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s also where I am at.
Probably now gonna order the S2000 III and the T7V to compare.

1 Like

It’s kind of a “rule of thumb” if anything.

One other brand that i like.
Have kind of series label with numbers, for home consumers.
The easy and recommendation way also correlates with a number that also is a good listening distance.
1 = 1m/3ft, 2= 2m/6.5ft and 5 = 5m/16ft and so on. So a G2 would be good for 2m/6.5ft and G3 for 3m/10ft in home environment. TV - basic home usage.
Would imagine the A7X work great in ~+3m away, much better then T5V.

They also have guide “Listening distance and Sound Pressure Level” for more pro models.
Room volumes and distances, SPL levels and so on. Giving more information how to select proper sized monitor.
Dont know does Adam Audio have similar reference guides.
They usually are now days “for what room purpose” Home studio, record studio and so on what they recommend for different type of room purpose.