🔷 Kennerton Gjallarhorn

Hey guys is Ebay the only/best place to purchase Kennerton in the U.S.?

Bought mine from their online store, shipping was 4 days.

You can select US Dollars in the top left, they’ll still charge you in Euros.
3 Likes

thanks, oh didn’t know they did black friday deals, perfect

Another option you can consider is the rebranded LSA HP-2 Ultra from Underwood HiFi. This is the Kennerton Gjallarhorn with some cosmetic changes. All of the important stuff is the same. Here is a link:

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/hp-2-ultra

They are running a Labor Day holiday “sale” and you can currently get a pair for $749 USD shipped to you anywhere in the world. I didn’t look to see if this is a competitive price for these cans or not, so you be the judge.

I have bought other equipment from this place, which is a one-man operation. You call and deal directly with the owner. The service I received in the past has been good.

3 Likes

right on thank you

Got mine directly from the Kennerton website. Absolutely love them.

13 Likes

Make sure you do the mod to these that make them sound even better.

So I tried the furniture dot part of it, and while it’s interesting it’s not really for me imo, sounds a bit unnatural and loses a bit of time domain accuracy, but I can see some preferring what it does perhaps. It pretty much tends to reduce decay to give a perceived quicker sound, although this sounds somewhat unnatural by changing the presentation and pushing things forward more overall, and also imo makes dynamics less accurate to me. Also it sacrifices a bit of spatial information as you lower decay unnaturally, somewhat reminded me of an overtreated room which for a studio environment is good for most neutral fr and isolating the monitors form the room, but doesn’t sound organic or lifelike if you want accurate playback for listening. It’s kinda like using a transient shaper almost, which does have a cool effect but for most things I listened to, I kinda preferred it stock. Neat mod though

Edit: if I had to do studio work with the kennetons (they wouldn’t be my first choice lol), perhaps the mod would be more favorable to me actually by eliminating some of the weirdness with the headphones, but I would just choose other headphones instead lol. It does somewhat affect frequency response a bit and tightens up the sound which may be more helpful for work, but for listening I think the downsides of the mod kinda made it not worthwhile for me

3 Likes

Had the Gjallarhorn since it came out bought them at the reduced price. One guy that I’m aware of on Headfi did some mods to them to improve them. The one thing I found with the clamp was it wasn’t tight enough so I bent the sides of the band with my fingers. This mod improved bass performance. If you check out the link https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kennerton-odin-magister-vali-magni-gjallarhorn-gh-50-thridi-wodan-thekk-and-thror-discussion.732814/page-214#post-15772010

2 Likes

Can someone confirm the LSA HP-2 is realy sound the same? Its almost 1/3rd less and had different back and pads. That usually changes sound quite a bit

I’m very interested in these. This seems to be a brand that fly somewhat under the radar for a lot of people.

Should I stick to the vanilla GH50 or is the JM edition the one?

I would honestly go vanilla given how the headphones sounded when applying the mod I think the JM edition is based off of imo, but either one won’t be a disappointment imo

1 Like

My local hifi shop (Hifonix UK) had the maple GH50 in stock, they’re arriving tomorrow.

4 Likes

Sweet, very curious to see what you think about them :+1: . There is a bit of a burn in on them (mentally and physically lol) so make sure to give them some time

They arrived today - I’ll use them for everything for the next few days before I decide what I think. I’m not as experienced or articulate with this stuff as a lot of you guys, but these are my impressions so far:

They’re probably the furthest from neutral of any headphone I have right now. The bass is pretty crazy - they remind me of the Aeolus, but wider and more resolving. They’re very wide for a closed-back. They actually make me think a little bit of the LCD-X as well, but without the midrange sounding like it’s under a duvet.

Very impactful and meaty-sounding, but also with a surprising bit of sparkle and delicacy up top. Not massively detailed, but moreso than the Aeolus as I say. I keep wanting to turn the volume up, but then I start to feel like a cornered fighter with my gloves up trying to protect my head from the bass impact. So dynamic. Loads of depth, and good separation/layering. I feel like sounds are coming at me from everywhere - more thirty blob effect than three blob effect. They definitely skew towards the dark side.

Have you ever had that chocolate that has popping candy in it? That’s what these are.

So yeah, lots of fun.

8 Likes

The Gjallarhorns are growing on me more and more. They really don’t sound like anything else I have. They’ve genuinely brought a new dimension to my headphone collection. The bass is so nice - percussion sounds fantastic. I initially thought that male vocals sounded really rich and textured but that female vocals sounded a little thinner due to their (generally) higher registers, but it doesn’t sound that way to me anymore. It’s such a well-worn sentiment, but I actually genuinely have heard some nuance to certain vocal passages that I hadn’t previously noticed. These are keepers for me.

7 Likes

So, would you describe the vocals as forward, recessed or somewhere in between?

How do these (and by extension the HP2) do with sound isolation? Do they bleed a lot of sound out? Considering for a potential office setup.

1 Like

Yes they leak, my wife tells me she can hear what I’m listening to probably 10ft away, but it’s not open back levels of leakage.

2 Likes

Purchased mine a while ago, I got the JM Edition. I have hesitated on saying anything because they did not sound “right”. The image felt off to the right side, the left side of my head felt like it was lacking volume, it was very annoying and in no way pleasing. I got a bug up my butt a few days ago to figure out what was wrong so I set them on my desk Saturday night and played them at “medium” volume non-stop for 34 hrs.

Just now, as I came into my room to fiddle-fuck with them IT HAPPENED! it was wild to experience the change from one second to the next and I’m happy my timing was spot on, it was really cool. It was like magic, the sound went from being “off”, the left side feeling weird and lacking in volume and the image off centered to the right to WHAM BLAM damn these things sound friggin good. The “off center” sound and the weird sensation on the left headphone disappeared and everything sounds sooo much better now.
Wow, these have a very open soundstage, allot of depth. Initial impressions are now favorable. Mine needed allot of hours to burn/break them in. I assume it was a fluke of sorts that they sounded as bad as they did, but if you purchase a pair of these and they sound really weird initially, burn them in a for a few days first until the drivers settle in. This has been my experience so far.

EDIT to add: I did the recommended bending of the headband to get the fit nice and tight. Yes, having the pads tight to your head and making a solid seal works well for these. I have the large lambskin ovals on mine and they are extremely comfortable and even fit my big ears well.

8 Likes