šŸ”· Lake People G111

Oooh, I see. Ouch. Letā€™s stick with G111 then.

It ends up having little to no volume range with iems (no gain switch and a ton of power right of the bat, with slight channel imbalance at very low volumes), more of a noise floor, and also ends up sounding slightly sloppy with most items I had tried

1 Like

Have you tried Oracle(106dB) on G111, if you have that IEM? Thatā€™s probably the only thing Iā€™ve got that seems to really need/want a lot of power on the IEM side. And then VO(97dB/300ohm) on the headphone side.

No I have not unfortunately

The vo is nice on a g111

Any recs for some winner XLR cables, $50-100(or more, if worth it)?

I like these

I wouldnā€™t spend too much on cables at this range tbh

1 Like

And, is there any benefit at all of a bal cable + SE adapter VS SE cable + SE connector? Will the bal cable take out ground noise? Or does that only apply with a full bal connection?

It would be functionally the same as long as the balanced to single ended adapter wasnā€™t bad

1 Like

g123

Iā€™ll see YOU on estimated Friday! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Just got mine in the mail today. First impression, this feels like a proper upgrade from the Asgard 3. More detail, wider sound stage, slightly more neutral. The power is fantastic - pairs very nicely with the Sundara (at some point Iā€™ll need to take off the Sundara and try another headphone, it just sounds really really good). Iā€™m sure the stepped volume controller is not to everyoneā€™s taste, but to me it feels very satisfying to turn.

Overall, after the first few hours of listening, Iā€™m not disappointed at all! Good buy!

[edit] just switched over to dt880 600ohm - OH MY! now this is a real upgrade over the A3. The low end on the dt880 is really clear and tight, with all the detail and space. This is a fun pairing!

7 Likes

Exactly my impressions coming from the Asgard 3 - to the extent that Iā€™m now putting my Asgard 3 on the market (hoping the fact that Schittā€™s got a 6-8 lead time on their units helps get it off my hands faster).

Only thing I think Asgard 3 is potentially better at is that warm euphony character - I think, not know but think, I might prefer the Asgard 3 with my 6xx. Everything else, the G111 is a clear upgrade.

3 Likes

Haha! I did the same! Ended up putting it on eBay (I hate eBay), but the sale closed at ~$225. Very active bidding, I think for the reasons you mentioned.

Ha, congrats! Iā€™m leery about eBay - just donā€™t want a weird scenario where someone tries to scam me - canā€™t they lie about having received the item or what condition the item was in? I tried on Hifiguides, will try on Headfi too, hopefully itā€™ll go there.

1 Like

I think they can contest it, yes. Ebay holds the money until the buyer confirms receipt. If they challenge it youā€™ll have to work with Ebay to get your money. My feeling is worst case you have to wait a week or two to get your money. Iā€™m sure there are horror stories, but so far itā€™s gone okay for me. The other place Iā€™ve had very good luck is local sales through OfferUp. Depends on your area, but you save on shipping and can close the deal in person.

Getting slightly back on topic - the dt880 600ohm on the G111 is very impressive! My dt880ā€™s are wired balanced, and I usually run them balanced on the Jot2. But thisā€¦ this is betterā€¦ more bass, more width, more detail, ā€¦ this is a nice pairing! Sound is very natural. This is a big difference over the A3 performance.

(I feel like Iā€™m just going to add a comment for every headphone I put on this thing.)

6 Likes

I probably got that black A3 for $225. ;p :heart: eBay - worldwide marketplace! My IEMs werenā€™t selling on reddit or head-fi.

Going from the A3 to the G111 has been a surprisingly large step up in overall listening experience: more neutral, more detailed, better tonality and tambour, wider sound stage, better depth to the sound stage, ā€¦ (Not minimizing the awesomeness of the A3, just really surprised / impressed with what the G111 brings to the table.)

It has me wondering now, what is the next step up from the G111? Staying in the same general sonic signature. Is it a Violectric V280?

At what level of headphones will I get the benefit from going to the next level of amplifier? Maybe an easier question to answer, what headphone would expose the limitation of the G111? and benefit from the next step up? (Just thinking / dreaming of my headphone / amplifier roadmap lol)

4 Likes

It would actually be the new series of violectric like the V340 or 550. The 280 and 281 are also great, but they share a different voicing/focus (that leans more warmer smoother relaxed and spacious) where the new violectric maintains a signature more in line with the lake people being studio neutral with a bit of extra smoothness and body

Iā€™d want to be at the level of things around the 1.5k mark, such as a clear, arya, ether 2, eikon/auteur, lcd2, hd800s, adx5k, th900 etc. And then up from there. I wouldnā€™t move up amps unless you are at that range for headphones

5 Likes

Thanks @M0N, this is really helpful! Helps me feel less anxious about an upgrade knowing how far away it is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With what you have right now I wouldnā€™t go higher than the g111 imo, the g111 is a good spot to be for now until you make the jump headphone wise

3 Likes