šŸ”· Lawton Mods for Fostex Biodynamic-Driver Headphones

Thanks, yea I may end up doing that. Are the ori pads thicker?

I think so, yes. Ori is a bit deeper and maybe has slightly less angle to it. The Lawton ear opening has more area though and will likely accommodate larger ears better from a fit standpoint. The Ori opening isnā€™t small, just not Lawton sized. Ori ear opening size falls between X00 stock pad and Lawton. Also, consider a ZMF pilot pad too. The Lawton cups add some weight. I found the Ori and Pilot Pad together go be super comfy.

1 Like

Awesome, Iā€™ve used zmf pads in the past, but not ori. Thanks for the tips!

I think @ValentineLuke uses one of the Verite pads on his Lawtonā€™d Fostex. Thatā€™s an option too.

2 Likes

Hello,
Thank you for your answer.:+1:
Well, so far I have never heard anyone who was dissatisfied with the mod afterwards.

I tried to listen to Zeoā€™s sound test with the Emu Purpelheart headphones on the Ipad, but it was impressive, I would have to listen to it again on the Dac with my current and my other headphones.
But itā€™s a bit hard to differentiate.
It becomes authentic only when you have completed the mod.

Iā€™m still thinking about the Lawton mod, it keeps going through my head.
I will hardly find a used Tr x, alternatively a D2000 that you will find again and again and hope that it is intact.
Then I would consider to invest 400$ in it.
Because even so I would have a direct comparison to the Emu/Lawton mod and the actual Lawton mod.
Definitely some nice rosewood cups would be the decision and the level 1 mod.

I also understand that it is difficult for you to make an A/B comparison with the Tr x00 PH and the Lawton mod.
I could definitely tell that the Lawton mod brings out the best in the whole thing and that the maximum is reached.
Surely there are some limitations with the Lawton mod that you have to make, thanks for that, :wink:.

Personally, the heights from the Emu Rosewood cups are enough for me, it should not be more.
If I now use the Emu Ebony it is also very good because they are a little set back but reasonable in comparison.
If I add the mahogany to the mix then it really starts to bleed in the ears.
There is something where I donā€™t want to have more, even with other headphones.

If I take Zeoā€™s sound demo with its tuning, I would say that the spatiality is brutally good and the depth is a dream.
The Quad Era 1 also sounds extremely good, and the He4xx sounded not bad, when I ordered the He4xx I was disappointed that the dull is I could not hear in the video for example.

is also a bit of a reason why itā€™s hard for me to click the buy button. and at lawton i canā€™t send you back at not fallen. since i live abroad. otherwise i would have gone to him personally and got advice. :slight_smile:

i used the tr x00 mahogany back then instead of the ph, which still annoys me today, so i would have had a better comparison and would have considered it.
Unfortunately, the Tr x00 is no longer available if only at exaggerated prices.
And the Th 610 is almost not worth buying a new one, because the Emu Teak is already the better one, but to put the Lawton mod on it would be almost criminal :slight_smile:.

I certainly understand the hesitancy about being international and rolling the dice on an expensive mod you may or may not like. I will say that Mark Lawton knows his product and what it does, thoroughly. If you know what youā€™re interested in and can articulate that to him, he will get you well matched to the right wood type. That actually reduces the risk of getting something you donā€™t like. I donā€™t recommend exploring with Lawton cups, especially if youā€™re international, as that can get very costly very quickly.

On the TH-610ā€™s, the tune up mod was a Huge value. Cleaned it up nicely.

I passed on the cups as a pair of his cheapest cups, $289.00, would have cost me almost the full price of the headphones. I bought them open box for about $550.00, landed.
The cups would be about $500.00. landed, in Canuck bucks.
I am curious, but not that curious. :grin:

Yes, this is exactly the other side of the coin.
Well, I have had no bad experience with the Fostex driver.
Rather positive and by experimenting a little bit I won something.
And the sound type is more like the V person, I admit that with the Star trek hand signal :grin:.

Whereby a W signature must not be bad, because he should also go in this direction with the Ebony and also recognized quite fast what he was missing, respectively me.
And was quickly fixed with a pad change.

Certainly more and more is possible, especially with the Fostex there is a lot of potential.
I think with Mark I will find a solution when the time comes.
Of course 300$ has been spent in the past for something stupid, but not so often because it hurts :slight_smile:.
Thanks a lot for your information. :v:

Maybe the Denon Ah D7200 will have to believe in it for this one, but I only use it for show purposes, and when I put it on the bass is not authentic enough and bleeds into it, which is not the case with the D2000 and Tr x00.

I am still looking for THE closed backs.
I like my Meze 99ā€™s and the 610ā€™s, after a tune-up, but they donā€™t come anywhere close to my open backs. I put those on when I need a closed back.
I have four open backs that I rotate for daily listening.

If youā€™re looking for something on the bossier side, the ZMF Atticus is really nice, possibly my favourite out of all my headphones (its a close fight with it and my hawks). Iā€™m gonna be selling my Elegias due to how much I like the Atticus over them.

I have no doubt but ZMF is out of my budget range for now.

Yeah, it was kinda out of mine too, convinced myself by saying Iā€™d sell something to make up for it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well Iā€™m a little sad. I was going to get Lawton chambers for myself for Xmas, but sadly there are no purple heart chambers available. Iā€™ve been talking with mark since yesterday afternoon and was considering either the museum grade quilted sepele or the museum grade rattlesnake bocote, but sadly neither are what Iā€™m looking for sound wise and none of the other chambers available are what I like looks wise. Unless mark gets back to me saying he can custom make me some purple heart chambers Iā€™m going to have to wait till the next batch comes in.

Mark is extremely helpful and VERY timely with his responses. The only reasons I can see to not get Lawton chambers are price and international shipping costs (if you live outside the US). Canā€™t wait to give him my money when he gets some purple heart chambers in.

I wonā€™t hit ā€œlikeā€ on your post because that doesnā€™t feel right. Hereā€™s a :-1: for the purpleheart being out of stock. Did Mark give you an estimate on when that will be back?

2 Likes

Since this current batch is so recent, he said ā€œnot soonā€. Iā€™m guessing a few months.:pensive:

Well shit. As I was typing I got this

"Iā€™m pretty sure there wonā€™t be another Purpleheart.

Itā€™s one of those woods that you have to do everything perfect to get the color to come out, and the wood is weird and unpredictable (i.e. a pain).

After some time, it will turn entirely brown on you, even with UV finish, thatā€™s just the nature of that wood.

That one and Bloodwood are not likely to come back for those reasons.

I wouldnā€™t wait. Your selection is about as good as it will get right now."

I guess I might be getting those rattlesnake bocote chambers then.

3 Likes

wow no more purple heart :frowning:

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t any type 4 do? Lots of options on his in stock/ready to ship page

It should. Mark told me purpleheart is a Type IV wood by their categorization.

Edit: although Iā€™m sure no two wood types do truly sound identical.

1 Like

Yea, i canā€™t imagine it be crazy different,but i have type 4 dark Chechen and its pretty bumpin

Iā€™m considering the museum grade indian rosewood but I really like how that bocote looks. The rosewood looks nice but a bit normal by comparison.

1 Like