Let's talk tubes in general

Well that’s not quite the same lol, those are for different use cases. A better tube for a tube amp is to improve the sound of the tube amp, which the amp’s goal is to make sound. A car is meant for driving, so you are just adding on something entirely different for the car

4 Likes

That is about what I am thinking. I figure I’ll limit my tube budget to about $200.00 on a $1K amp. I figure that might get me two pairs of medium priced tubes and hope for the best.

1 Like

You mean those rare Swedish Military 33S30A tubes won’t turn a Darkvoice 336SE into a $10,000 sounding amp? lol

2 Likes

Waiting on a Liquid Platinum.

1 Like

ahhh! nice. you got balanced cables for your headphones? SE is supposed to suck on Cavalli’s…

I have been into XLR’s since my little Loxjie. And that was quite a while ago.

1 Like

Not sure why that was. maybe cause their hybrids? but i got a dark voice on sale at drop for 185$ and the tube it came with, the 6N8P, was nothing lol. i tried my Auteur on it and it gave a pretty lifeless sound. i mean the dark/warm was there but nothing. Someone on Zoes chat old me to get a Russian NOS tube that was on sale on Ebay for 10$ the 6H8C. And it made all the difference in the world. Suddenly the amp and Auteur came alive. More soundstage, bass, the darkness lifted a little, even sounded like more detail. i was really impressed

1 Like

Just so you know, VT-231 and 6SN7 driver tubes tend to sound even better than the Russian 6H8C.

1 Like

ive been thinking of getting more tubes to try on it. I’ll check those out. Thanks

1 Like

Kinda funny but the VT-231 price fluctuates like crazy. from 20$-200$ why is that? And the 6SN7 fluctuates from 10$-100$ am i missing something here? Also is there any new tubs out there that sound good? I hear that old tubes are best but there has to be new ones that sound good too right?

https://watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=3188

Ah i see. So some are reproductions! So the old originals must be the expensive ones. im in the States BTW

Balanced pairs cost more if you need pairs that is.

You really should read at least the 1st page of the head fi 6SN7 tube rolling thread. It is extremely helpful in explaining the designations and models of tubes.

3 Likes

To be honest the little Loxjie did improve with the Russian tubes. But it just went from a 5 to 6.5.

30% upgrade isn’t chump change!

Still inferior though. Most of my purchases in the last five years I write off to live and learn. But two purchases really make me mad. The Loxjie and the HE4XX’s were absolute and total junk, IMO.

I write off the NightOwl Carbon’s and HD6XX’s to “we all hear differently”, but the first two purchases just piss me off. Luckily they were cheap.

you mean the $5000 stereo isn’t for better sound than what it came with stock?

Assuming you even have one or if it isn’t entirely broken when you buy a car for $600 lol

so if the stereo isn’t for better sound…what’s it for? bitches?