Liquid Platinum vs THX 789 for DT 880 balanced?

Monopirce currently has the Liquid Platinum listed at <$300. I’ve had the thx 789 for a while and enjoy it’s sound/power a lot. The two amps seem similar in power? What would be a better pairing for DT 880 modded balanced? I would also be using iems such as the FH3, Legacy 3, and Tin P1 (but I mainly use them on my btr5 or UTWS1).

For people who have tried both which do you prefer and why? Also I assume the tubes can be changed/upgraded at some point? I haven’t used tube amps before. Is it a worthy investment at this price. Would I be missing the cleanliness of the 789 or is the tube sound worth the trade-off?

WOW, $293.74 that’s a bargain X 3.

There’s a lot of content in the LP thread here, read through it. For the most part it’s a well loved amp with some issues. But it is a fundamentally good amp for music lovers.

Yeah OMG WOW! on that price. IMO the Plat is a great amp at its original price that stomps the THX in overall performance. At this price the LP is a no brainer.

1 Like

What’s your DAC? For IEMs, the noise floor may be lower on the 789. A DAC with volume control can help since the LP tends to get loud fast, especially with more efficient sets (which the 880 is not). Super price for the LP, and IMO should be a better overall amp than the 789.

Using the Topping D50s. Thanks for the info

Couldn’t stop me from buying a Liquid Platinum at that price.

Many have spent retail on that and been happy with their purchase. Great sound machine.

1 Like

MLP is a great amp, I really like mine. It has a ton of power, no need to worry about that. It has no gain switch, so for more sensitive headphones, you might benefit from having a dac with volume control. The MLP will likely be more organic, warm, wide, laid back and natural than the THX 789. I think it would balance the brightness of the dt880 well. Iems might not be ideal, especially without a dac with volume control or a preamp to give you more control on the volume knob of the MLP, but you could still to the 789 or get an iematch.

At this price, I cannot recommend the MLP enough

1 Like

I would say the LP is not only the superior amp to a THX, it’s a better match to your D50s. The treble on a D50s + THX hurts my ears just thinking about it :grimacing:. But also, I have a set of DT880 that I’ve balanced modded and they scale up to the LP really well. Those two are an excellent combo :+1:

If you haven’t figured it out yet, I really think you should buy the LP, and especially at this price :grinning:

I’m actually jealous of everyone who is or will take advantage of this deal. I wish I had the thrill of opening this amp after spending that little on it. I thought I did great when it was $485 back in August.

1 Like

Here I was thinking that I was coming in for a a landing and was going to have a decent layover period before adding anything new. Is this something I want consider, given that my current highest tier HP is an Elegia? I currently have two DACs with balanced output (modius and zendac). Would there be any benefit other than allowing me the opportunity to look at balanced HPs, which I have been avoiding as I have no amp for that?

Holy crap $300. Bought.

2 Likes

:thinking:

My Elegia sounds pretty good on my LP, but in fairness the improvement moving the Elegia to the LP from A3 isn’t as large as moving my other headpohones, and you’ll need a balanced headphone cable. The Elegia is less amp picky than others in its price range. My normal advice is buy headphones first and then get an amp to match. But, the LP is a very good to excellent pairing for just about any $500-2K-ish headphone I know of - or at least I can’t readily recall any headphone in that range where it’s known the LP is a bad match. So, if you have any intent to start climbing the ladder with headphones, this is a really hard deal to say ‘wait’ on. That advice is clear as mud :grimacing:

Really hard to tell someone ‘no’ on this deal though. The LP is a good deal at its MSRP. I thought it was a steal at $485. I’m truly flabbergasted at this price.

Mother fucker I just bought the liquid platinum from them like 3 days ago. Time to get in touch with customer service and see if they’ll be nice.

Honestly, I was expecting you to tell me to go here “Things you’ve learned on your audio journey” and re-read it, especially the posts that discuss be happy with what you have… LOL.

I also, know from other posts, that yourself and others have so many good things to say about the LP, and it’s synergy with certain gear and sound signatures, many of which I share. It is the amp I was considering for when I step up to a “balanced” scenario. I just wasn’t expecting it so soon but I feel I may kick myself later for not taking advantage of it. However, it is not a matter of life or liberty.

Thanks for confirming that if I do decide to take advantage of it that I could make use of it.