List the headphones that like to be on a tube amp

I got it to translate and all it said was this website is disabled :man_shrugging:

I run my Focals on SS and tube amps…both with stellar results…lots of personal preferences for sure…one of the best amps in the past few years with the Clears were recently with the TUBA amp with 6BQ5 EI NOS tubes…gosh its a 11/10 holographic good…the other 10/10 sound for me was with the $2K ECP T4…and those that have the 3F (designed just for the Clears and its hanging driver) state the 3F with the Clears is the best, period…) I never have heard the 3F but the ECP T4 is designed by the same guy.

That said I use the Clears on THX AAA 887, Jotenhiem, Magni 3, Burson Fun (V6 vivids), Noir and others as well…but the holographic magic for me is on the tube amps mentioned above.

Alex

My clears typically stay on my niimbus us4+, concert fidelity XHP-7, or rupert neve rnhp. Most tube amps I have heard the clears on has been meh for me where I would rather have a solid state instead in the price bracket. Don’t get me wrong, the focals still do sound good on a tube, but I just end up preferring them on solid state as it preserves what makes the focal sound special imo. Sometimes I use them on the Linear Tube Audio Microzotl MZ3 which is nice for a change (kinda a tube but different), but it’s not something I would prefer over the solid state options tbh. Eddie current studio t is an amazing pairing for a utopia

2 Likes

Interesting again…that MZ3 looks like a great amp…$3700!!

How long have you had this and what headphones do you like to use with it?

Isn’t the T4 a hybrid? It’s pretty sweet, but I’ve only heard it briefly but not with the clears

I think I’ve had it like almost a year now? Perhaps a bit longer. If you want to see what headphones I use just check my profile (It gets used alot lol)

1 Like

I had a demo T4 sent to me last month for a week…and its the best tube amp I have ever heard, but I dont have access to the many high end tube amps on your list…

I will post a review I did later on it…the magic is the output xfmrs have some of the lowest DC resistance specially made for ECP by Lundahl…its a magical amp.

ECP Audio T4 Review

1 Like

lost…don’t you mean you had ‘Stellia’ results running your Focal headphones on SS and Tube amps? :wink:

1 Like

I wish I had a pair of Stellias!!!

ME TOO!!! best headphones I’ve heard to date.

I do think the Clears run off of the Tuba just fine. Though I feel like I get better results off my Burson C3X, but to be fair it is the newer toy of the two amps.

I picked up a 6XX for tube listening, but I’m considering an ATH R70X to try out as well.

3 Likes

I would like a biodynamic headphone…probably something like the 5200’s from Klipsch.

The D5200 is Denon, you might be thinking of the Klipsch heritage headphones?

no…I was thinking the Denon, my bad.

what are your thoughts of the Denon biodynamic vs the Beyer?

who else makes biodynamic? any IEMS?

Ah, I think the heritage headphones are also biodynamic, also pretty good lol. Can be had used around 800 usd

cool. the HP-3’s are well over a grand…the 5200’s should be around $700 here I think.

Perhaps an option?

Don’t have time to see if this is fully legit but if so that’s a good price

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NEAR-MINT-Klipsch-Heritage-Hp-3-Over-Ear-Headphones/392705962742?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575084939&toolid=10001&campid=5338381866&customid=1a76141a-67a7-11ea-b8ca-356137353030&icep_item=392705962742&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&srcrot=711-53200-19255-0&rvr_id=2336283354893&rvr_ts=e446a7b21700ad394e635c35ffff9ec5&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=9b8c72df-6a58-4210-a2c7-bcc4c8d7236e

no position to buy…just saying it’s a style on my list.

M0N, do you find that the Microzotl is headphone picky like some other tube amps, or is it more versatile? For example, could it run low impedance Planars or similar?

IMO it is pretty dang versatile, it runs mostly anything reasonable I throw at it well enough with no issues

1 Like

but you don’t use it often and would prefer a SS amp instead?