Lively sound like a ksc75?

Hey man. Had any luck finding something as fun and lively as the 75s? I am looking as well.

Yes and no. The distinct lack of bass on the ksc75 seems to add to its pleasant treble forward sound. More expensive headphones tend to have better extension and more neutral tuning so it’s hard to move up. Grados sounded different to me.

The best ksc75 is yaxi pads and parts express headband IMO.

3 Likes

Yeah man. Spot on. Seems the rolled off bass does something amazing here. I normally love a deep bass extention and I love my Nighthawks and FH3 for it but somehow the 75s with the PE headband are on my head all day long… Everything sounds more fun and I listen to all kinds of music. Bass not missing at all somehow. Mind-blowing. And they were my least favorite for many years now. Can’t explain it. They add magic to everything. Old recordings, new ones. Even horrible old punk rock recordings sound amazing through them. And the slighly reduced resolution over most expensive cans seems to help rather than hurt the overall sound.
In crinacle’s site they seem to follow the neutral ief target from high mids to high treble closer than most other headphones. With a slight u shape for the mid range and a small hump at midbass. The closest I could find shuffling through the other cans was the AKG 612 PRO, AKG 702 and Senns HD650 but the extra bass on all these they probably makes them sound very different, right?

1 Like

Mmm the Ananda’s are the closest sounding headphone I own to the ksc75, but the fuller and deeper bass can take away from the mids a bit compared to the Ksc75. Pretty song dependant though IMO. Both headphones are kind of trebley with Ananda having more refined treble, but sometimes the ksc75 treble and mids balance just match up better with the right song lol.

I can properly report back on the hd650 comparison when my hd600’s arrive next month.

Oh, one more thing recabling these do seem to improve resolution a good amount. I used Mogami 2534 and rean connectors.

1 Like

Looking forward. And yeah, re-cabling will probably be the next step. Or even better an mmcx mod and a good cable. I wonder if there is someone who can do that for me though. There was an eBay listing but no more. I might have to invest in the tools and parts needed. Soldering and drilling etc.

Recabling? O_o Why would recabling improve these? They already have a crosstalk-minimizing 4-wire cable, and it can’t be that high in resistance or it wouldn’t allow the kind of sound stage we’re hearing out of these.

If you’re an objectivist cut open your set and look at how thin the gauge is with questionable copper purity. These headphones are known not to last long and failure mode is usually with the crappy cable. My last set lasted less than 24 hours.

If your a subjectivist, it just does :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Good answer. Placebo it is, then. :slight_smile:
(I don’t need to see the gauge to know the wire resistance is not a problem, I can already hear the soundstage is huge. That’s an open and shut case right there.)

Never broke a KSC wire, BTW, and I’ve used 2 pairs of originals and 1 Massdrop. Only switched originals because I liked the sound of the newer one, possibly due to dust buildup inside the older one.

You are aware Beyerdynamic makes their voice coils from copper coated aluminium, yes?

I have no problem with CCA as long as the headphone is tuned for that sound.

I’ve experimented with replacing the wire connected between a nad hp50 driver and the 3.5mm jack connected to it.

Changes were not subtle and got to the point where I bought a second hp50 as a control and had friends and family A/B them.

IMO the material of the cable is less important than the synergy of the system. For example, I’d never ever use a silver cable on a hd800 for more treble, but I’d probably happily use an aluminum or solid core one for less treble.

Your free to believe whatever you want. I certainly have no stake in what you believe.

The build of the ksc75 and it’s cheap siblings is a well known and documented issue however. If you’re an objectivist your sample size of 2 is statistically irrelevant.

To walk this back a bit, since the structure is 4-wire there is no portion of common GND wire, so the wire resistance wouldn’t cause crosstalk anyway. So what I should hear if this wire had >1 ohm resistance is… thermal noise, meaning a higher noise floor? I could test that by playing a silence track through them when I get a quiet moment.

1 Like

The proximity of conductors is what causes crosstalk.

Nothing. The sum of all currents in a circuit is ALWAYS 0

Seebeck Effect (aka Thermal EMF) is a different beast entirely, and one you do not have to care about for audio.

The common GND wire is what causes more crosstalk, if you have a Y-shaped return in your headphone cable and the headphone driver is low-impedance. But it’s not the case here, the cable is 4-wire from end to end. Proximity is not a concern at these lengths or every headphone cable in existence would destroy soundstages through EM crosstalk. :slight_smile:

No, I meant thermal noise inside a pure resistor as the current passes through it and heats it up to some extent.
https://www.audio-perfection.com/audio/thermal-noise-of-resistor-calculator.html
With these values it would seem that not even a 100 ohm resistor would cause audible noise, and those wires sure as hell don’t have 100 ohms lol.

Absolutely gonna say Edition XS here. Technically fantastic from top to bottom, with a crisp, clear, lively tuning(assuming you have a very strong amp).They’re honestly too bright for me, though.

I’m listening to my KSC75 and 30i right now on a new amp, definitely liking the 75 more(as I did before). Wondering how the 75X, 35 and Porta Pro sound lol. Gonna pick up a 35!