Looking for a Audio Technica headphone

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900X are going for about 150$. theres the Sennheiser 58x. The 1More triple driver. they all go for 150$ and are probably much better sounding than the m50x. Or am i misunderstanding your comment?

Eh I would say that if they were below or around a $100 but even then I would hesitate to recc them

The One More triple driver is the one I’d go for provided it fits you. That’s a big if as it is one of those headphones that isn’t quite over ear for some people. The ATH AD900X has sweet tuning and the HD58X is a solid buy. However there are good deals on the M50X and it is a rugged, hard wearing design.

Eh the DT 770, Shure srh 840, m40x takstar pro 82,Sony MDR 7506, akg k371

All hard wearing headphones but that takes nothing away from the M50X (although the Sony 7506 may not be for everyone). I also think the M50X a better headphone than the M40X.

the m50x’s aren’t for everyone either. its just not a great headphone for the price due to the over agressive nature of them due to the lack of soundstage and the tuning leaves a lot to be desired especially for first headphone.

No headphone is for everyone.

then I fail to see why

this was brought up as a point

Indeed, but personally I think the M50X is probably a pretty safe proposition for most. I know plenty of people who have used them for years with no interest in replacing them as they’re entirely happy with them. And I’ve seen quite a few used in professional applications where they take a lot of abuse which they soak up better than many.

as a person that has tried lots around the price range I find that you dont know what your missing until you hear it. for most people $150 is a expensive endeavor for headphones. and due to all the reviews from the likes of MKBHD those people doubt that there is something better and think they got the best for their money. sure they havea purpose and a good use case and there are definitely those out there that do think its a good headphone regardless of what is out there. I also know lots of people that use them and have used them for years and dont feel the need to replace them. but they have a ton of haters for a reason. I love my 990’s and think its really fgood for the price but I would never reccomend it for people starting with it for basically the same reason I would never reccomend the m50x

As I say, if people can afford the One More Triple and it fits them that’s probably the more affordable model I’d recommend (or the ATH MSR7 if you get a good deal) but I’ll say that I know several sound engineers who have access to some pretty impressive alternatives and who tend to use the M50X most of the time. For some reason one of my former employers bought a couple of K812s which ended up gathering dust as people used the alternative K701s we had.

They are just very amp picky and also strangely tuned

just cause a headphone is more expensive doesnt mean it;s more enjoyable the 812’s aren’t exactly what I would call an enjoyable set of headphones. and Im not faulting anyone for using the m50x over others if that is what you are used to go for it. its liek the old trusty wrench in a tool kit you know exactly how it works. but as I am saying its not a headphone I would ever reccomend to anyone especially to a beginner cause ofwhat is out there especially at the price point which is massdrop, beyerdynamic and chi fi central

it just lacks the bang for your buck and a sound signature that is great for most genres of music.

I find in most cases it is more important not to be bad than great. The K7xx family may not be the best headphone in the world but they provide a very vice free sound few will really object to whereas the K812 has something odd about the highs. Similarly I prefer the HD600/650 to the much more expensive 800/800S as although the older models aren’t perfect they’re not objectionable either.

the 812 from what I see from measurements are peaky. I liek the akg k7 family particualrly the 712 the 7xx itself isn’t very good the 702 and 701 are pretty good. and Ive goen on record to say not a big 600 650 fan without tubes. and the 800/800s Im not a fan of but I havent tried them with tubes.

you tried the elex and Focal’s yet?

The Focal Clear is one of the high end headphones that I consider fully justifies its high price. Wonder design and build, luxury presentation and a sound quality that really is outstanding. I keep thinking about buying a pair but I already have too many headphones which are perfectly good. We don’t get the Elex in Europe but the Elear is a nice pair of headphones.

It’s been stated a few times but the elex is a better can than the elear

How far does the sub-bass extend on these cans? I have a pair of A900X’s and I’m looking to get something with more thump.