Looking for an open headphones with smooth sound (500 USD)

they dont seem to scale with amps at least in my experience, so you may just find that these play just as good on low cost gear. im not too sure if the EMU fits jazz that well, a 58x would present instruments much much more naturally but its such a boring headphone otherwise, others may dispute that but i think people would tend to agree. the EMU is just a much more fun headphone, again, not really good at reproducing instruments in a realistic way.

if instrument and vocal reproduction as well as smoothness is your highest priority then the 58x is fantastic for that! and so the 6xx should be even better, again i havent heard the 6xx, anyhow. for anything else, EMU. good bass, good clarity, average detail. what really makes the EMU so engaging and ā€™funā€™ is its ability to hit you with its bass authority while at the same time not bleeding into the mids.

even though the EMU isnt a particularly natural sounding headphone it is not particularly unnatural sounding either, its just that the 58x does that so much better

note: if you do decide on the EMU, make sure to go for the ebony version, much much better bass than the teak cups, the general conciencus is that the ebony cups plays the best with the EMUā€™s strengths

I not define the 600 as warm or veiled, the 650 is veiled, and compared to the 600 sounds a little slower with a little more sub bass and with less treble, overall i thing that the 650 is a better allrounder and sound more ā€œcompleteā€ on solid state. Since you listen to very differents gendre of music i strongly advice the 650 for you because with electronic music the 600 really doesnā€™t work the 650 is not perfect but does the job.

Definitely consider the Nuemann ndh 20ā€™s they have excellent bass, clarity ect and if you get a tube amp in the future your ears will thank you hehe

So, if I wanna a fun headphone with euphoric sound, EMU is my better option, and if I wanna a smooth and neutral sound, between sennheiser 58X and 6XX are my best options. Well, maybe I gonna pickup the EMU, and later the 6XX for have 2 options depending of my taste and the situation

Where I can find the Ebony version of the Emu?

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard the 650 is more bassy and little more fun than the 600, but the 600 works more smooth and warm with a tube amp

Are on my option, is good if I gonna use for travel

I agree with the 650 is more fun, on otl I think both works well but the 650 can be too much warm when compared to the 600 on otl but thatā€™s depend also by the tube youā€™re using, so itā€™s kind you have to tune the tube amp based on your preferences and headphones

+1 for the LCD2 rec.

Sounds like itā€™s the right one IMO. I picked up a set of used LCD2PF for $450ā€“not sure where youā€™re located, but Iā€™d suggested looking used. I like mine better with the Hip DAC than the Zen DAC.

you got it right. And i also think you plan is good. you buy direct from EMU. they sell the headphones but they may only supply the different cups to other companies

so make sure to contact them and ask if you can put in a payment for ebony cups because they dont officially sell them
http://www.emu.com/contact-us.html

quick note: before you jump on the EMU check out the sundara, lots of people say thats an extremely good headphone under 1000usd. either way you wont be dissapointed with either i feel like, i say that because i havent heard the sundara myself. both headphones have remarkable amount of coverage online so there is no shortage of info. EMU is a bit of a unicorn headphone in the sense that its not really being sent out to reviewers while the sundara is. i would look for people directly comparing the two in detail if i were you. that became a not so quick note XD

I live in Guateamala, and I donā€™t see an LCD2 in that price, only in 700USD and new in 900USD, sadly I donā€™t have much shops with less price

Thank you, I will contact them later for ask that, but I have an doubt and is the ebony have more bass but with loss in the soundstage, Iā€™ve heard the Mahoganny is better, because is a between an ebony and purple heart, Iā€™ve heard the purple heart is more like a V so, If is correct Iā€™ve read, the teaks cups sound more natural with better soundstage and the ebony is more bassy with more fun sound
Is this correct?

In the past, Sundara are my best option but in my country cost too much, like 100USD more and maybe 120USD and I donā€™t know if are more options for the cost of 450-500USD are more better than the Sundara, I considered buy Ananda with a more budget but in my country cost 850-900USD so I think a LCD2 works better

sorry for late reply!

i had both teak cups as well as ebony cups, none sound more or less natural in the sense of changing the tamber characteristics, think of the difference with the different cups more like volume changes rather than more or less ā€™ā€™naturalisticā€™ā€™ frequency elevations if you will, because thats what the Ebony cups will give you, elevations, elevevation in the bass, which i personally thought was hilariously fun. thats what i noticed beetween the teak cups and the ebony cups, you may notice more changes. i dont have a reviewer ear as im not experienced enough so your experience may very well differ from mine but most definitely you will notice elevated bass with the ebony cups, that i know for sure, and its absolutely fantastic!

those are some fine alternatives, dont know much about those but definitely community favs, ask around more and see what you find, sometimes just a little more reading will have you make up your mind, sometimes it takes a lot but atleast you get there eventually, i hope you find what you are looking for

did you ever try the EMUā€™s? Hope all is alright with you! @M0N
i have never heard a single audeze so for all i know they may be even better bass cans than the EMU. but from what i have heard audeze arent particularly good in the tamber which is what i think this guy wants. seems like a case of starting out and figuring out what to like. not implying that the EMU is natural