Looking for an upgrade to my HE-4XX

Like a TOPPING D10 DAC isn’t better than the K3? Is the K3 actually considered a good DAC?

The d10 would be an upgrade, but not a massive one over the k3, you would be getting an upgrade but it wouldn’t be the largest change

The D10 is on sale right now on Drop:

Would the D10 and Spark be the absolute best DAC and AMP I can get for $100 each (Specifically for the Sundara or Edition XX)? Also if you are asking why not just raise your budget for the DAC and AMP, it’s because I believe in a high dip off in price to performance the higher and more expensive you go. I can afford a $2000 headphone setup easily, I just know that the price to performance wouldn’t be there.

Because honestly I just threw the D10 out there randomly, there might be a better DAC for $100.

Depends on the headphones tbh, I agree the budget realm is best bang for buck though

Welp the new topping e30 is about 130$ it seems to be the best for around 100$ but the topping d10 is 77$ right now.

The topping e30 is mighty impressive for the features and sound it has for the price

I mean the topping e30 is not too far off a $100. and if you wanted the absolut best in general interms of measurable performance at a $100 the schiit heresy wins but in terms of pairing something warmer like the magni 3 + or the liquid spark is definitely the direction we want to go. pairings are based on the headphone your getting more than anything else

The Sundara is a nice point. I would say its beginning hifi tier. Its just about perfect in many ways. But theres still a nice portion of improvement into the 600$ range. theres where the Aiva clones and Elex reside. From their its more diminishing returns i think. Although the Sivga p2(aiva clone) is 400$

OK, So I am now going to get the Sundara’s (most likely) the Spark and the Topping E30. This was an expensive post to make. :stuck_out_tongue: Also sorry for all the back and forth’s, I am just trying to get the best of the best for the money.

sounds like a solid combo. and dont forget to try the he 4xx off that combo as well you may very well be pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

Yes with more power the 4xx also improves

If anybody else has DAC or AMP recommendations for about $100 and Headphone recommendations for around $400 I am still open to hearing out any recommendations. But at this point without even looking at reviews and just going by how passionatley you guys are talking about the TOPPING E30 I feel like the only thing better than it would be way higher in price, Same with the Spark, but I might be wrong and probably am as I rely on other peoples recommendations. Thanks to all of you that have responded so far, I think all of you responded to my original post a year ago :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel like for what you are after you should be set on the dac and amp front, and headphones it feels like a solid pick. One last question though, didn’t you have the sundara at some point already?

yes, but Hifiman emailed me later that mine were a defective pair.

Ah ok gotcha

So just to be sure though. Spark + E30 + Sundara’s (If I can’t get cheap Edition XX) is the best I can do for the price and for this specific combo? Also how much better would you say the Edition XX are over the Sundara’s because I plan to keep this settup for 5+ years.

They are different than the sundara but I do think they would be a good upgrade, more bass impact, better layering, very large presentation, pretty solid and comfy too imo. I think if you can go for it, it would be worthwhile imo

And what about the first part of that question?