Looking for audio upgrade for gaming (Audio noob)

There is also a wireless version for more money.

1 Like

You could also sell your astro setup and get something like a burson play to interface an analog mic like the regular modmic as well

personally i use a blue snowball on an arm its bigger adds more clutrter than a modmic but sounds a lot better

Personally I’ve never been a fan of desk sitting microphones because of distance between my mouth vs other noises (I use keyboards with cherry mx blue, green, and clear switches).

I used to have an arm mounted to me desk, but I also disliked the amount of extra noise transmission that came with it.

Although the modmic isn’t the best microphone, it is an easy solution close to your mouth that does the job of voice comms and in game voice.

If you want the best solution, then use an XLR microphone on a floor stand with the pop filter and shock mount positioned a few inches in front of your mouth. Affordable options to get into better microphones could be as easy as the Rode NT1 kit with a cheap floor standing Pyle stand, but that is like five times the cost of the modmic 5 or Blue Snowball, and I wouldn’t recommend it for a budget setup if you are not streaming or producing content that you need to speak.

Yeah, I use a separate mic and it’s my preference, but the modmic is a very convenient solution

thats why I have it on an arm

I also hate having desk mics

Then why do you have one

Edit: I’m stupid

You’d probably be satisfied with the Topping mx3 if its just for a gaming setup. I use this personally with the DT 990 Pro 250ohm and its quite adequate. Personally, aside from powering headphones i would instead look at whether you have powered speakers or passive speakers in considering your choice between these topping amp/dac combos. If im not mistaken, the outs on the Dx3 also serves as pre-amp so would be suited if youre using powered speakers, while on the Mx3 is suited for the passive speakers.

Of course this point would be totally irrelevant if youre not using nor planning to use speakers on your desk setup ever. :smiley:

Maybe I’ll just go without a mic for a little bit. I think I’m going to get the dt1990, and either the dx3 or the mass drop dac amp. How’s that sound haha no pun intended

2 Likes

Depending on how good your mother board is you could spend a $100 on a jds labs atom run that off on board for a bit and save up for a topping d10. That would sound better than the other 2 options and about $25 more expensive then the massdrop DAC amp.

2 Likes

That’s also an option, that would even allow you to upgrade components along the road, and really tweak the setup to your liking in the future

Asus ROG Strix Z370- E Gaming

yeah it’s new enought that the on board on it should be fine.just get an atom or a liqquid spark and get a 3.5 mm to RAC plug it into the amp and set the volume on your pc very low as to not break the amp with too much power and turn up the volume on your pc. then save up for a dac. or you can just hol doff a bit and save up for a topping d10 and liquid spark or jds labs atom combo.

Wouldn’t you just want to connect to a line out port (if you have one) or set the pc (digital) volume at 100? That would yield the best quality and prevent degradation of the signal because of windows volume.

I think that has the potential to fuck the amp up as PC audio can be quite powerful these days

I’m pretty sure you can configure that green port on the back of the motherboard (audio out) as a line signal. They have this for outputting surround sound to an external amp, and so I think that it can be both amplified for headphones, or switched to line out for a surround set up

if so then that would be perfect.

I probably wont have speakers in the future.

You would just use the speaker output to plug into the amp.