Looking for closed-back bass kings at around 500

Well there you go, sounds like you know which fostex variant you want

Yeah, I think the Ebony’s are the best compromise of what I want and what I need.

So do you think glasses are kind of a no go with the 177x or is it just in this context of wanting bass cans?

Depends on how bassy you want them. The stock pads (both of them) are useless to me because they’re not plush enough to seal. I’m using brainwavz xl pleather and it helps a lot. Bass is nice and strong, but when I take my glasses off it gets stronger. The difference is much less than what I experienced with Neumann NDH20.

you know, I’ve never noticed my glasses interfering with my headphones before. how odd that so many seem to.

It would really mess with the seal I would assume, and what a fair amount of people report

indeed…but I’ve never found that. just tested with my HP50’s…no change.

Not every headphone does it, just ones with firmer pads or ones sensitive to positioning. Also the frames of the glasses would also determine how much it would interfere

Some headphones aren’t affected as much. Like I said, NDH20 drove me nuts, and 177x is just slight enough to notice. It’s not enough to make me feel like I’m not getting the full functionality of them.

1 Like

I’ve found it’s more down to thickness of the arm of the glasses and where about the arm contacts with the pad…ie Oakley Wire’s arms don’t have the same effect on the seal as say a pair of RayBan Wayfarer’s…the other thing is the pad itself…firmer the less compliant it is so i’ve found seals less well?.

1 Like

Okay seems like it’s probably fine then, I’ll probably end up grabbing a pair.

1 Like

That and the distance between the arms and your head. I have thin and flat arms, but there’s about 5 mm gap that sound gets through.

1 Like

You’ll want a cable from hartaudiocables.com too. The cable 177x comes with is legendarily bad. You’ll be set for balanced that way, too.

Yeah I was looking at his cables earlier from the 177x thread and I think I might pick up a couple of cables from him.

Bought the Ebonys with the $100 off discount from Metal’s link (found here, in case you’re interested: https://twitter.com/metal571/status/1176927744887787521 )

Will likely update when I get them as an edit to the original post for anyone else researching this type of headphone.