Looking for good closed-back headphones

I think Kennerton is a serious manufacturer worth looking into.

Also, ZMF are one of the most well respected ones in the industry - so also worth looking into.

I find it quite odd that no Fostex models were mentioned :thinking:

2 Likes

The TH900 Mk2s (the original is out of the question, I need a removable cable) is well outside my price range. The TH-X00 I can’t really find anywhere. As far as T50rp-s and the like, I used to own a pair and they seemed reasonably good, however I’ve since heard much better stuff. And Argons are probably not obtainable in a reasonable timeframe.

I’ll keep Kennerton in mind. ZMF I’m well aware of but as I said, most of their stuff really stretches my butget at best and is well outside of it at worst.

1 Like

Then look further into Kennerton and keep Focal and Dan Clark in mind - I think both are great manufacturers, though I believe Focal has more budget due to their long history with loudspeakers - this doesn’t mean it’s better.

I think that you could ask if the distributor is willing to give you a discount for the ZMF, it doesn’t hurt to ask :wink: I think some distributors are open to give a discount, especially because they make a sale, and perhaps they don’t get too many sales from that particular product or product line (headphones) - it’s seriously worth a try.

Does EMU.com ship to your location?

2 Likes

Not sure. Can’t find an easy way to check on their website.

However, if they are US-based, they’re pretty much out of the question for me.

1 Like

I’ll keep that advice in mind. You’re right, it doesn’t hurt to try. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are based in Singapore, I believe. Comfort isn’t the highest priority for me though, so not sure that they are the best of the lower cost options.

I am hearing very good things about the Beyer T5p.3’s. It sounds like they fixed all the flaws, according toast least one source on Head-Fi. Less treble and more bass. Pretty pricey though at $1,300/$1,400.00 in Canuck bucks.

I am going to keep an eye on these and if I see them used, I will likely grab a pair. I loved the T5p.2’s with lots of EQ. But then the Elex, without EQ’ing, took that spot with the same sound, to me.

If they have “fixed” my old headphone, it should be VERY close to a closed back Elex. That would a keeper for me and maybe the closed back that I keep searching for.

I’d throw the Pioneer SE-Monitor 5’s in the ring IF you can find a pair.
originally sold at £1000 but can now be had for around the £550-600 mark.
Superb build and very neutral.
Downside is they’re a bit heavy (but comfy) and need a good 200hrs on them before they really start to sing.

1 Like

The top of the line (flagships) from Pioneer are so overlooked - nobody talks or mentions them, yet they seem very promising. I wanted to recommend them, but since I know so little about them, it was hard to even bring them up. Pioneers serious cans look very good, but the lack of marketing and reviews generally brings them down… and they aren’t the easiest to acquire.

I’m gonna +1 this one. If you can land an EMU Teak (or a Fostex TH-610, some Denon models, or a used Massdrop-Fostex TH-X00 or TR-X00) you have an excellent ~$500 headphone and have the option to do a full Lawton mod to it; a significant performance upgrade, IMO. Then you have ~$900-1100 headphone you pay for in 2 stages. Lawton does international shipping. The drawback here is the Fostex-based wood-cup closed-backs are more semi-open. They do leak sound.

1 Like

Anyone have experience with the Beyer T70? Crin put it high up on his headphone list… and while he isn’t known for headphone reviews, I totally agree with him on the Teak, Ananda and Elegia - so I’m curious to know if they are that good.

Unfortunately, I have only just discovered your post and have a completely different, somewhat unconventional suggestion for you.

In fact, I’m not a huge fan of closed headphones, but I needed one to avoid having major discussions with my madame.

So I went looking and listened to some relevant closed headphones as a sample.

Like you, I also come from the DT770pro 80 Ohm, and have not set myself any upper limit.

In the end, there were also 3 cans on the shortlist:

ZMF Verite` Closed
Focal Stellia
Denon AH-D9200

The T5 was no longer there because it had neither the dynamic nor the sound image to compete with the others.

The ZMF had a delivery time of almost 3 months, the Stellia has a better detail resolution,
but the bone-dry bass, the noticeably larger stage representation and of course the lower price, ultimately led me to choose the denon.

1 Like

Take a look at the Audio Technica ath-wp900, just ordered mine they are getting really nice reviews all over $650 on Amazon

1 Like

If you have a preference for “fuddy duddy” music, and want an extremely musical headphone not necessarily something that analyzes every detail OR as i’ve said in the past, “lets you hear angels fart”. The Audio Technica AWAS seems to me a stupidly good contender.

Gently rolled off top-end without the slightest hint of sibilance or harshness whatsoever, a midrange that will lull your senses into a state of gentle relaxed bliss, no muddyness or bleed over into the upper bass regions. And lastly the bass itself, well detailed defined, and deep. Not bloated or overbearing and capable of hitting with authority as far as headphones go. The soundstage is neither exaggerated nor Thrown behind your eyes. There is a natural sense of space with beautiful imaging that makes me throw an eyeball up and back once in a while checking behind my shoulder to make sure the sound came from the music and not anyone sneaking up behind me. In its price range a solid performer that also throws in good looks and comfort, worth ever dollar to me IMO. The cables are a bit “meh”, microphonic and long but well made and flexible.

Further under consideration at a more modest price point you should consider the Kennerton Magni closed back. Take a look at it and find Muurdoch’s reviews. I had some issues with mine and had to send it in for driver replacement, despite this unfortunate set-back i found it to be a top notch performer, beautiful construction and o very comfortable. I won’t speak to the sound characteristics simply Because i never had a chance to properly experience it at 100% performance and yet even with blown drivers it was impressive.
Good luck and happy listening.

1 Like

Look forward to your feedback. And also what kind of music you listen to. These have been dropping in price on Amazon.ca for the last few weeks and I am curious.

I got T5p.2 two weeks ago. It was instantly one of my favourite headphones I’ve heard and easily my favourite closed back so far.

Sadly, I ended up returning it. It was unfortunately incredibly leaky and therefore useless to me for the office.

I’ll look into the other options that have been recommended since - thanks everyone!

1 Like

Would you still consider the ZMF range? If so, I have a couple of suggestions on retailers within the EU that have been helpful for my needs.

1 Like

Hey. I haven’t ruled it out yet (though ZMF is right on the edge price-wise for me) so I’d be happy to hear anything you’re willing to share.

Aamer @ https://www.acornaudio.co.uk or Stefan @ https://www.headphoneauditions.nl

Both would appear to have a set of Eikon in stock ( so you can skip the waiting lists… )

I would probably start with Stefan to see what he’d offer deal wise - it doesn’t hurt to ask! :slight_smile:

The ZMF come with a lifetime driver warranty (not transferable so don’t buy used unless you’re willing to pay any service costs in many years from now). That said, I think servicing would need to be taken care of by ZMF. You should find the leakage minimal although all ZMF closed backs are ported (to my knowledge) so you’ll get a little background noise in and a tiny amount of sound out, nothing that should be bothersome at all. There’s lots of replaceable parts on a ZMF so they should last a lifetime with maintenance.