Looking for headphone amp

Well my MAD amp is better than the SP200 and I 'm sure the LP will also be better.
It will be interesting to compare the sound difference with the LP.

1 Like

You have a nice versatile group of amps there. Very nice.

I am a ā€œlittleā€ obsessed with variety. :grin:

3 Likes

I would be curious to see how you have them all wired up (we actually have a thread for that now kinda lol)

3 Likes

With my Burson and LCX packed up for sale, it is pretty straight forward now.

Split RCA from SU-8 goes to MAD Ear+ HD II and Schiit Loki to Koss system.

Split XLR goes to SP200 and LP when it arrives.

No more changing cables around constantly.

1 Like

Well you have to have tried different amps to value the one that fits you, otherwise you have no reference points. For me the THX is dead center re amps ( I have not heard that many, but stillā€¦), it is neutral and borderline bland, but it is a great reference and so many has a version, so it makes it easy to understand and compare to other amps.

So having one just to be able to follow what you more experienced guys talk about, is almost making it relevant alone. Even though mine is the Monoprice with the buildt-in dac.

Guys?

Honestly, WTF?

This is the ā€œWhat did you buy today thread?ā€, not the Is THX bad or any of the threads about the RNHP or THX amps.
So the question is: WHY derail this thread?

By all means, start a crusade against THX. But leave the calm and happy threads alone!

6 Likes

I didnā€™t do it lol

1 Like

Thoughts? $250 for Burson Class A HP ampā€¦

1 Like

The soloist is a solid amp, I personally prefer the mk2 a bit more but itā€™s still really solid

How about we make an amp thread so we donā€™t clog up this one? I can then move the posts out of here to the new thread

Moved to new thread

2 Likes

Bursonā€™s have a fantastic following. I canā€™t argue against them at all. Just do your homework on sound signatures. Maybe M0N can answer but I think you can roll Bursonā€™s op amps a bit.

Pretty sure the soloists donā€™t have op amps so you canā€™t change them, but that being said if you want a bit warmer smoother tilted sound the soloists are pretty nice

What is a discrete TI Op amp?

Personally I would define a ā€œdiscrete op ampā€ as 1 chip = 1 op amp. An ā€œintegrated op ampā€ would be something I would define as 2+ op amps. From a screen shot in another thread, it looks like the THX amp has 1 chip with at least 4 op amps on it.

Q: Why does having more more op amps on a chip matter?
A: 1) Cost at scale 2) ease of manufacturing 3) Silicon production has tighter tolerances 4) Thermal coupling is more direct meaning gain stage imbalance across the chip are done better than with discrete op amps. 5) Chip manufactures have reference designs and recommendations when doing cascaded or cascaded designs off of a single chip.

Short answer: TL;DR: EE mumbo jumbo but works out cheaper and better for amplifiers.

Well thats interesting.

Most folks see an op amp as a monolithic semiconductor device that has power reqā€™s and usually a reference circuit that shows an optimal design.

Discrete op amps is usually thought of as an op amp built from discrete parts.

A TI OPA1622 is an audio op amp.
A Sparkos SS3601 is a discrete op amp.
All the Bursons op amps are discrete op amps, with many discrete partsā€¦

Alex

Much Apreciated

Fair, however trying to argue what is an op amp gets strange. I worked on hard drive read channels that got embedded with SoCā€™s. Arguing what is discrete and integrated is a matter of the audience what one must explain. But yes, op amps in chip form are integrated by the proper use of the term.

TI is an abbreviation for Texas Instruments, a semi-conductor manufacturer.

A discrete circuit is made of many components each of which does one job.
Example: Discrete Op-Amp

An integrated circuit is a circuit where all components are in one package (= chip).
Example: Integrated Op-Amp

Edit: You will usually see Op-Amps packaged in one small 8-pin chip. Simple reason is space and the consistency at which semi-conductors can be manufactured.

An ā€œOp-Ampā€ (short for Operational Amplifier is a DC-coupled (meaning direct current will pass through it) circuit with very high gain. This is acomplished by having multiple transistors in series.

1 Like

But as you can see (I think you posted some nice close ups in a previous thread once) some of the power op amps have multiple op amps in 1 package (OPA564 picture in thread).