Looking for headphone amp

In the title of the listing he says that it has the USB dac option, so that’s why we mentioned it, since you already have a b2 don’t worry about it imo that’s a better dac than what comes inside

Ah good point… “Has optional USB digital input” but my mind didn’t read it as DAC. thx

So the ones without the USB is amp only?
I just looked at it at thomann.de (big german site with a lot of audiophile stuff) and that one is without.

That is correct. Also look to see which volume control they have (relay or remote or base)

1 Like

Why is this better over a Phonitor?
This is the first time I hear about a better option in that price range.

So personally I think it’s more timbrally accurate, can recreate space better than the phonitors, and also is just a bit more natural of a sound, it’s more preference but personally I think it’s the higher quality amp, but the phonitor 2 or xe have way more features but most people won’t use that

2 Likes

There is also the V280 which is a smaller version of V281. It doesn’t have the line outs, a L/R balance control, and slightly less power.

2 Likes

I stumbled upon that too, but I have never heard of them before, so I need to check them out.

Probably a dumb question but what exactly is the purpose of a L/R balance control ? I’ve never used this on headphones before so not sure if this is for mixing/professional use or just trying to isolate specific instruments in a live recording?

This is in the case of if you have channel imbalance, you can correct it easily, but don’t worry about it if you don’t have issues

2 Likes

Yeah its really slight adjustments to a channel.

Regarding the V281 vs Phonitor discussion I got the following feedback from a headfi member:

I’ve compared the V281 and the Phonitor. To sum it up: The Violectric sounds (in relation to the SPL) more warm and has a bit more emphasis on the low end. The biggest advantage for the SPL is the dynamic area and the neutral sound (you can easily pick up the signature sound of the DAC you are using)

I did get bunch of really great feedback on the V281 thread:

I have a V281 w/full remote & 128-step pot (no experience w/the other amps you mention). I had a pre-fazor LCD-3 (since sold). Still have an LCD-2.1/pre-fazor; ZMF Ori, Eikon, Aeolus; heavily modded HD650, the Jupiter Audio JAR650; and a Hifiman Edition X v2.

All these headphones sound at least very good on the V281. Some sound spectacular. I’ve had & sold other headphones, also had a number on loan–none sounded even just “average” on the V281.

BTW, I use the V281 as my daily system preamp, as well as #1 HP amp…a task it is extremely well suited for due to extremely flexible I/O layout & separate gain settings for HP vs preamp path.

I’ve been through several amps - including a GS-X mk2, Moon 430HA and a few others. Listening to a v281 with the 128 step and remote now and I consider it to be one of the best ss amps I’ve heard. There’s isnt a headphone i’ve owned that doesn’t sound good with the v281. Its got a touch of warmth and an awesome bottom end. I’ve heard good things about the Phonitor 2/xe/x as well. Haven’t listened to one but have read its extremely neutral with a very low noise floor. I dont think you can go wrong with either of these german amps.

I have 7 amps currently (V281 being one of them): 6 are SS (1 has a tube buffer on the output); and 1 is an OTL tube amp. I owned 4-5 other amps over the years, including a powerful Burson amp/preamp & a big, excellent tube amp, the Woo WA22.

I like all the amps I have. There’s no question certain amps can do certain things a little better, or at least a little differently, than the V281. But the V281 has been top of the heap since the day I installed it IMS. It does everything at least very well, and a couple things (bass & dynamics) spectacularly well.

People often call SS amps that aren’t etched, bright, or harmonically parched “tube-like.” I don’t hear it that way. I just hear a SS amp being musical–in other words, faithful to the ebb & flow of music, with a natural weight in the lower registers, full rendition of the timbre of instruments, and space around the notes.

1 Like

very cool stuff!

I also used to own a gsx mk2 and a moon 430ha lol, I do agree that for most listening I would prefer the v281 to the gsx, but I think the moon is a bit of a different animal

fresh off the press… in case anyone has ~$4k burning a hole in their pocket.

1 Like

Hmmmm, that’s niimbus us4+ money right there, but no dac in the niimbus. I don’t really think that looks like that good of a deal imo if the amp isn’t improved from the v281

Ended up passing on the v281 my email communications with the seller didn’t go well and it just didn’t feel right.

Thoughts on the following options:

1. Headamp Gilmore Lite MK1 - $200 listed can probably get it for ~$150
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headamp-gilmore-lite-mk1.929536/

2. Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2 - $350 listed can probably get it for $300 or maybe better
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gilmore-lite-mkii.929511/

3. Rupert Neve RNHP - $350
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Rupert-Neve-Designs/RNHP-Precision-Headphone-Amplifier-116206742.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9tHslMGd6QIVJj2tBh0xlAIbEAQYAiABEgIH2fD_BwE

4. Klipsch Heritage Amp/Dac - $350 Listed could probably get it $300 or less
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/klipsch-heritage-headphone-amplifier-349.931398/

5. Auralic Taurus MKII - ~$800
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-auralic-taurus-mkii-headphone-amplifier.931168/#post-15591978

6. Audio-gd R-28 - $650
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-audio-gd-r-28-2019-standard-version-r2r-all-in-one.930653/#post-15584615

7. RebelAmp $500 - when comes back in stock

8. Topping A90 $400-$500 - to be released in May

I’ll have to get a new DAC eventually… My HPs are LCDX/LCD3/HP3 and have a Lyr/Bifrost rig setup ATM. Looking for something on the SS side to give a balance to the listening experience. The Klipsch amp seems to be appealing as it would match my HP3s is priced well and seems to have decent reviews.

That R-28 is an amazing deal, but consider that it’s R2R and audio-gd amplifiers are kind of weird on the way they amplify.

1 Like

Seems like a pretty good list of options with what appear to be some great deals. I’ve not heard most of the list, but the likes of the RNHP and Gilmore are well regarded, and the Rebel is quickly gaining a following as well. From what I’ve read here, I think the RNHP and LCD-X pair very well, but @DagoRed can probably add more detail, and I think has also tried the HP3. And of course, @M0N has probably heard all of these and could tell you the best pairings for your headphones.

A couple additional options to consider might be the Liquid Platinum ($549) as a clean hybrid with lots of power (unless you’re strictly looking for full SS) and the Questyle CMA400i (can be found around $500), which might offer an alternative to the Heritage with a little more functionality.

1 Like