Looking for new headphone recommendations 200-500

Yeah just recently I did. I have to say they are pretty great for sure👍. I typically don’t do impressions, but I can do some comparisons if you like (as I think I am more effective at those)

Hmmmm well the only the I actually know well enough to compare with are my Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s…

I’m sure all of the headphones we’ve talked about are world’s apart from those.

I think the most important comparison would be to things less expensive to show why they would be worth an extra 100-200 dollars.

Ok, so how about something like the dt880 pro 250 or 600 ohm? The LCD 1 has a more Harman tuning so it’s a bit warmer compared to the more studio flat but bright tuned 880. The 880 has a fair bit larger soundstage, while the LCD 1 is more intimate. The LCD-1 is more smooth but at the same time revealing and detailed throughout the frequency range, where the 880 isn’t as detailed and may come across as harsh in the treble. For build and comfort, I think the 880 is more comfortable and feels less likely to break then the lcd1, but that being said, the build on the lcd1 isn’t bad, although could become an issue if you have a fair bit larger ears then most people

I actually think the 880 600 ohm is harder to drive then the lcd1, and the lcd1 works well with a fair number of amps.

If I had to choose between them, for music listening, studio work, and casual gaming, I would pick the lcd1 for sure. IMO you get what you pay for. The 880 beats it for competitive gaming or if you like a brighter wider sound, but the LCD 1 is just more impressive to me.

Comparing something like the hd58x which is a more exciting and better extended 6xx with a bit less detail and not as good mid-range timbre, the LCD 1 and 58x I would say are pretty close on soundstage imo. The signatures are both warm and slightly relaxed, and the LCD 1 just really edges out the 58x in sound imo. It’s just really refined. The 58x does have better imaging though.

Again I think the 58x is more comfortable and built better, and the 58x is easier to drive. I would personally take the lcd1 over the 58x (and the 6xx as well which I can compare to if need be)

Damn, loving the comparisons.
So just to make sure, as I don’t really know all of these terms completely well, imaging has to do with location/separation of sounds, while soundstage is the width/depth of the sound?
Personally I don’t have any experience with great soundstage, so not like I’d care if I don’t get something with great soundstage. But since I do game quite a bit, imaging may be something I’d have to factor in.
Does the LCD 1 have serviceable imaging? Like average at its price point?
Also I don’t have large ears, so I’m not worried about whether the LCD 1 would fit. But they do stick out a bit more than normal, so my ears may touch the speakers if the pads aren’t tall lmao. Would this be a problem? :sweat_smile:

So imaging is essentially how the headphone handles the actual placement of sounds, so a headphone with good imaging would be able to easier place the sound of an instrument or a gunshot in games. Soundstage to me is how far out sounds can appear to be from a headphone (for simplicity’s sake)

For the price, I think the lcd 1’s don’t disappoint with imaging or really soundstage. Unless you are a super competitive gamer, I think the lcd’s will be more then fine for gaming

Your ear may rest against the driver, but I personally didn’t find it uncomfortable

Here’s another vote for LCD-1’s. They walk all over the Sennheisers anywhere near this price range IMHO.

I would agree for the most part, but if you really love natural midrange detail and timbre, the 6xx might be more appealing for you

I find that the LCD-1 give me all the vocal intimacy that the 58x did, and in fact more vocal detail and texture, it’s just that everything else is there too.

You don’t get that “the singer is standing right in front of me singing only to me” feeling necessarily. For me the LCD-1 wins, but I could see someone preferring the intimate Sennheiser signature.

I say that in comparison to the 58x as well, I’ve never tried the 6xx.

The 6xx is a fair bit better then the 58x in detail, organic timbre, and a natural tone then the 58x. If it’s the 58x you are talking about then yes I would agree for sure, but I still think the 650 has some aspects over the LCD 1

1 Like

Where doooo you get that at this price range preferably with Sendy level of detail? Can you even get that kind of detail with such a soundstage?

I haven’t heard the Sendy’s so I couldn’t comment on that. I can say the Sennheiser signature is the strongest I’ve heard in this area, but they certainly aren’t detail monsters IMO. Oluv said the LCD-1 “ruined all other headphones for him” and “makes them sound muddy in comparison”. He was comparing to the 6xx, Ether CX, Koss 95X, etc at the time he said this.

To be clear as well what I’m referring to with the Sennheisers is vocal intimacy, not really sound stage.

1 Like

So to make sure I get you, you’re saying the Sennheisers have this kind of soundstage where the singer is in front of you around the 300 price range?

Yes, IMO vocal intimacy is what the Sennheisers do best. The 58x do it and I’d guess the 6xx may be even better at it.

Don’t confuse that with soundstage width though. They aren’t wide.

Yes, senns have a very close presentation of vocals with great timbre and detail that many enjoy, along with a similar presentation of other instruments. I think the 650 does a better job of this then the 58x imo. They are not wide as gregrob noted, so don’t expect a wide sound lol. Also the 6xx is somewhat amp dependent

Pair the 6xx with a tube amp and be fucking amazed at what you hear from that pair. Out of all my collection, the 6xx paired with my darkvoice is still the most enjoyable and chill listen.

1 Like

Guys i figured out a set up that I think can last me a very long time as long as I stay away from YouTube reviews. I won’t even need an amp which is awesome.

Fiio M6 DAP $150
Blon 03 plus tips and cable $80
Sennheiser 58x Jubilee sale $135
Audeze LCD1 $400

A set up for everything I think I could want besides maybe a crazy soundstage for less than $800 including taxes. Could be my endgame at least until something breaks.

4 Likes

Sounds like a great setup :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Mom, ((((edit, lol MoN))))

And thank you. You were a really big influence on me. The LCD1 actually seems amazing from any sound demos and it’s low power demand is amazing.

I saw the 58x jubilee on sale yesterday and realizing how different it is from the LCD1 I just went ahead and bought it, especially with it being so similar to the 660s but a tad bit more veiled which is actually just fine having the LCD1 to go with it. I might have even gone with the most veiled one, but…$135!? Come on, the minor differences become very insignificant.

3 Likes

seems like a very good setup, you should be able to run all of those adequately enough with the M6. and it leaves you open to grab a more powerful home amp/dac solution like a Fiio K5pro later on if you want. not a bad way to start into this hobby if you ask me.

1 Like

Yes, the fiio k5 pro or a liquid spark/jds labs atom and a topping d10 are excellent amps and dacs for a great price

1 Like