Looking for the best AMP + DAC for Focal Elex within $500

I’ve been wearing the clears daily, in fact I have them on now

Pretty dang nice headphones imo, I am curious to see what you think of them on the rnhp, I think that’s one of the best bang for buck pairings for the clear :+1:

1 Like

Yeah if he likes the RNHP on it then I may go for pairing it with the D90 and Clear like I said. And yes I am considering pretty much anything in the Clear’s price bracket and below, but it sounds like the Clears are the way to go according to most.

D90 seems to have gotten a big thumbs up from Z and audiosciencereview, and the specs (balance/dual AKM4499) is hella impressive.

So, D90 >> RNHP >> Clear is what I’m thinking of, unless someone steps-in thinking there’s something better in that price range (roughly $2000 all-together).

I imagine it’d be a rather insane combo. Costly, but… well, I’m tired of thinking of the topic and am looking for my endgame rather than meddling with them for the next few years.

Ah, actually the hifiman arya might be more up your alley imo vs the lcd x if you wanted to go the planar route

Only if it’s better for me than the Clear, which I figure would be hard to say without me trying them. The last time I was suggested towards planars was 2016 and they had the Oppo PM-3 and HE500 in mind IIRC.

Even if planars give some more punch, I don’t want any of the aforementioned “weirdness” if it can be avoided really.

But heck, for $2000 I could even consider some electrostatics ya know.

If you don’t want weirdness and value bass quantity, estat is not for you lol. The estats that wouldn’t be as weird are in a higher price bracket unfortunately

That’s pretty subjective, and imo personally I would just go for the clear for now, the arya will come down in price soon and if you really wanted one, I think your clear would hold more value in the long run compared to the arya. I still own my clear and sold my arya if that says anything lol

Seeing some reviews, think I’ll stick to the Clear plan.

1 Like

But actually, comparing z’s review of Clear to Elex, he seems to like Elex quite a bit more, not to mention cheaper. “Going up from Elex, you’re looking at ZMF”.

Clear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qefw2dlX3H4
Elex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4qzjU9f0YI

So… I’ve never heard of ZMF, maybe I should take a look?

I would take Z’s reviews of more expensive gear with a grain of salt.
He has some impressions I certainly wouldn’t agree with, his love of the THX stuff for one.

1 Like

So here is the thing, most of the clear owners I have talked to agree that he really didn’t review the clear correctly. He used his QES reference amp with them which has a pretty high output impedance, which will really affect the sound, it’s just a huge amp mismatch. And if you compare them on a thx there really isn’t that big of a difference. The clear is just picky with amps in order to actually realize the benefits of it. I will say again that the elex is a better value being that it is more competitively priced and less amp picky, but the clear is in a higher performance bracket than the elex. I also think the clear is more technically proficient than the zmf stuff like the aeolus or auteur, along with the zmf going for a pretty different sound than what the clear is going for. The zmf headphones are going for still good but warmer and more fun sound, less neutral than the clear

Alright, fair enough.

But uh…

I just found a listing for ZMF Aeolus at $800 with only 28 minutes remaining on the bid. Worth it?

Ah screw it, I guess I’ll pass for clear. One of you guys can grab 'em if you want them.

Ok, just note that the aeolus is a warm and relaxed headphone, not really focusing on detail or accuracy, so if you are going to go for that just know what you are getting. From what I have heard it’s a very just sit back and relax and enjoy the music headphone. Think of it more as an upgrade to your 6xx/7xx in a sense, where the clear would me more different in that regard

I think I’ll pass for Clear. I think it’ll take better advantage of the RNHP and ultra-reference DAC combo I’m thinking of.

Oh I love the 6XX. I just think it lacks some bass and soundstage that the K7XX has, and sparkle/detail and clearness in the mids the SRH940 has. I’d basically want an enhanced K7XX than an enhanced HD6XX I think.

Great, hopefully you will enjoy the aeolus if you are able to nab that one

By pass for clear I mean “passing the Aeolus for the Clear”, lmao.

Ahhhhh sorry typically I associate the phrase with passing on something as no longer considering lol

No problem. Felt like it was worth posting here in case someone wants to jump on that regardless, seems like quite a bargain.

Yeah I find Clears for around $950 in the lightly used / open box department.

(Unless you want sexy red edition)

That’s pretty solid for open box condition

Also found this one too

Ah cool – yeah I only really know Amazon, Ebay, and searching Google’s “shopping” tab. So if there’s online markets I should know of, shoot them my way I figure.