Looking to buy a DAC for my headphone setup. Around 150€. Advice needed

correct

When it comes to music, I am listening mostly to Spotify, but I am also watching YT on a daily basis on the same setup.

I’d buy the E30. Has a remote and output level control. That MT-602 has a ton of gain, I could see headphones where it could be useful to have the ability to decrease the input signal. I think of the bunch only that DAC has that function?

The iFi Zen DAC gives a warmer sound by comparison (already getting that via amp) and provides its own solid state output option, though slight via SE output. I’m unsure that the DAC output level is controllable via the knob on this device, assuming not. Some people really champion the bass control here.

Not sure I need output level control on the DAC itself as I already have one on the AMP. What about the D10s?

What’s your opinion on this?

Suggesting that with some headphones, the gain of the xDuoo MT-602 is strong enough to barely get you off the bottom of the volume pot, and that reduced input signal would aid. You probably do not notice this on your BD 250ohm models. You do mention reducing your windows output level in original post — my method would be a better solution to your problem.

For the price difference, I’d sooner have the E30’s greater flexibility of remote and SPDIF/Coax inputs, and AKM chip.

Someone else already addressed your “please convince me to spend euros on a DAC” request for affirmation. It’s been asked many times on here before. I’d guess if you’ve come to HFG and read the forum and are in deep enough to buy hybrid headphone tube amplifiers — you’re going to buy a DAC.

Ensure you’re listening to good source material.
I do believe you’ll notice a good bit of difference here.

I read that the E30 does have harsh sound signature though. Can you confirm that?

Well, if you’re admitting that, then I suppose you’re confirming “DACs matter”.
Lots of history of folks using this unit, not something I hear a lot. Keep in mind, you’re running it through a hybrid tube amp.

Check out the comprehensive thread on HFG, maybe in-particular WaveTheory’s review: 🔷 Topping E30 - #215 by WaveTheory

1 Like

Geshelli makes great DAC’s if you can stretch your budget a little. I’m not sure how accessible they’re in Europe. E30 has some very bad subjective reviews. Example, cheapaudioman & @WaveTheory

I don’t recall saying or thinking E30 was a bad product. It’s actually one of Topping’s better products, IMO, and an excellent DAC for the money. You might be conflating this with my view of Topping amps, which is less-than-favorable.

1 Like

That’s the one I was mentioning. He says it sounds harsh and that he can’t listen to it. Do you think that the D10s is better in that regard?

I can’t find in anywhere being sold. I’m certainly not goin to order from the US, too much hassle.

Checked out your review on the topic. Nice read. You compared the E30 with some other DACs, notably the Zen. However, how would you compare it to the D10s? I feel like I won’t be going with the Zen, if only for the fact that it’s 30 euros more expensive. It seems that I will be choosing between the E30 and D10s, if I don’t get any other suggestions.

EDIT: Should note that most probably, I will be using the DAC in USB mode only, since I don’t have other options playing from my laptop.

I have the D10s and it is a decent DAC for its price. I actually have two but that’s because I wanted the optical/coax outputs.

1 Like

I have not heard D10s but have used the D10. The D10 was reference-caliber for its price when it was first released. Sonically there won’t be a ton of difference between D10s and E30, which is not to say no difference, just not a very big difference. If the E30 sounds too dry, or not bassy enough, or some other aspect you don’t like, it has those digital filters to change the sound a bit. If the D10s isn’t to your liking, you’re stuck with what it does. Ergonomically, the E30 includes a remote. So if USB input is all you need, those are the only other factors to consider, that I can think of.

1 Like

I will probably go with the D10s then. I don’t really need the remote as the only usecase for it would be playing the speakers, but I do already have a remote for the speakers themselves. And I will save 30 euros.

Sorry, my mistake.

1 Like

The truth is, there is an incredibly low chance you’d be able to tell the difference between those DACs. I’d be extremely sceptical of any subjective reviews of electronics without either blind testing or measurements to back up the claims.

Every one of those DACs is transparent beyond human hearing, and you’re running it through a tube amp which reduces the fidelity of the system anyways, albeit in a nice way.

I’d go JDS Labs for the customer service, or maybe one of the Topping, whichever has the best features for you

1 Like

I think so, but then comes the question if I even need a DAC… Nevertheless, to complete my setup, I will probably go with the Topping D10s since it’s the cheapest and IMO has the best looks + I don’t need any of the extra features of the E30.

To be fair SMSL recently had an issue where several of their dacs were putting out odd harmonics at audible and measurable levels, but it was never caught with standard test suites.

Subjective audiophiles bad mouth these dacs, but the objective fans claimed no problems to later be proven wrong.

Trust your ears IMO.

I’d somewhat agree, although it’s moreso that most of the cheap dacs sound pretty similar, so just go with the ones that have the features you need and are more accessible in your location. There are differences between the 100 buck dacs, but I think most of those differences are not really all that influential or make or break at this price point. To start getting into larger and more substantial or influential differences you need to move up the price bracket imo. So I wouldn’t worry about it too much here, I’d just grab what’s most easily convenient to you

1 Like

There’s a switch on the back of the ZEN DACs that allows you to choose either fixed or variable output, allowing you to use the volume knob or not (you do need to be on variable for bass boost to affect the output).

And yes, I’ll jump on the bass button bandwagon. I’ve got a ZEN DAC V2 feeding an Asgard 3 in my office at work. It’s a great little setup.

1 Like

No worries! Thanks for being out there and following my work :beers:

1 Like