Looking to get my first audio setup

M0N doing God’s work once again. Totally agree with M0N. The 58x are really great considering price to performance.

3 Likes

You are only talking about frequency response differences though, there will also be more detail, better imaging as well, and it should overall have better spatial recreation ability. The treble will most likely also be a bit more prominent once you get used to the signature because of the presentation

Well ye I am talking about the stuff I know about since I don’t have the headphones :man_shrugging:

How is drop’s return policy for open items? Are they flexible enough that I would be able to return them if need be?

If there was a defect yeah for sure. If you didn’t like them, I have seen people contact drop and if the item is still in proper condition they accept the return. But I can’t guarantee anything

Spech says bass is heavy on the Logitechs…should I start with another bass heavy set of headphones or is it better to start branching out early?

I think you will find the 58x’s bass to be a fair bit more satisfying and refined, I really think the 58x is a great option. I feel like if you went for a bassier headphone like the x2hr or something like that, you really wouldn’t be upgrading imo

2 Likes

Here is the graph for the Logitech’s:

And here’s the graph for the 58X:

The measured Logitech’s have some pretty severe driver mismatch, not cool Logitech, not good QC!

I mean, I just think the 58x is a pretty sizable step up from the logitech anyway lol

1 Like

Sweet. M0N thank you. You have been so incredibly helpful and everyone else who commented thanks to you too. Now I just have to take the dive and spend the cash…I’m bad at that…it took me over a year to finally get around to buying the parts and building my computer… Btw how do I read and interpret these graphs?

Reading the graphs is somewhat easy yet difficult at times lol. My advice (something spech won’t like lol) is to just kinda not worry too much about the graphs and just experience stuff for yourself. It makes things better if you don’t worry about technicalities imo lol

On the bottom are the hz or frequency. There are blocks on that graph indicating the ranges of bass, mids, etc. The dashed line is the target response, or what rtings.com believes to be neutral to the ear

If you want I can write out what peaks at the different ranges would do to the sounds (but that takes work and I’m lazy lol)

So would an analytical sounding headphone be closer to that “neutral” line?

And a v shape have loud highs and loud lows but quietish mids?

It would be closer to having a bit reduced bass and more treble. To meet the middle you would design a headphone with the frequency response of their supposed neutral target. There are many neutral target responses, but one isn’t considered universally correct. The graphs are also compensated in a way that can alter the way they look. A raw graph will look pretty different.

Yes, a v shaped headphone typically has boosted bass and boosted treble with a recessed midrange (because the graph would look like a v)

I’m piecing together information and learning as I go. Now why does every graph I see have a bunch of peaks and valleys in the high frequency range?

That’s common, treble responses won’t be as linear as bass and midrange.

Is that a technological limit, a tuning limit, or a measuring limit?

A combination of the three lol. A flat treble response would not sound good and would also be hard to achieve. Also these measurements are not as precise as you think. A lot of measuring rights aren’t that accurate. The hard part of using graphs is actually translating them into what a headphone would sound like (you really cant do that imo, a graph does not provide enough info)

Yeah they don’t have the most important part of listening. Ears and neurological pathways.

They do however provide some insight into the headphones, and if you know what what you have or what you like sounds like it could be a useful starting point

It can, but graphs can also be misleading, as you may think you might not like something based off of the graph, but in reality it sounds different than what you would expect the headphone to sound like based off of the graph (or vice versa)

Just trying to warn against relying on graphs too much lol

Sounds like sage advice. Slightly off topic question…tell me what you think about your dianas.