Looking to upgrade @ ~$700

This is a good take. Thank you.

Liquid Platinum is definitely on my list later on. Loving the reviews I’ve seen for it and looks like a nice logical toy to get on the desk.

2 Likes

Just kind of want some tried and trues.

I’d have no problem with new stuff if I could try them out prior to purchase, but I’ve always had luck with some tried and true cans.

1 Like

A lot of people really like the Focal Elex on here. I had some and really liked the sound signature too, until one of the drivers stopped working. Reading through the reviews on Drop, it is not an uncommon problem. I would say QC is the biggest knock against them. Trying to replace them was a huge pain (and would have been a long wait), so I moved to the 1990’s. I use them with the Balanced pads and don’t find them fatiguing. I also find the 1990’s more comfortable.

1 Like

Purchase made.

Dove in feet first on some Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2s. Should be here in a couple of days.

Thanks, @M0N for first bringing them to my attention and thanks to everyone for helping out with the discourse.

Ultimately, I was sold on the relaxed nature of the Beyerdynamic signature I was looking for from the DT1990Pros as well as hearing a lot of positive things about how they play with tubes - just making them a little more versatile. Also, almost universally praised for how they wear for long listening sessions. Feel like these are going to be what I was looking for.

Had some random gift cards and paypal credits that ultimately made this cheaper than a regular DT1990Pro purchase. Now might use some of the saved capital and blow it on something else.

3 Likes

Very curious to hear what you think of them. They might be a tad more aggressive due to the amps you have on hand imo lol, but it shouldn’t be too big of an issue

I’m looking to get a nice tube or hybrid, too. Still window shopping.

I had the DarkVoice a while back and it just wasn’t for me at the time. Rarely used it, so I sold it off. Also (have)had(?) a Vali that I lent/gave to a buddy of mine that was getting into audio as - again - I rarely used it, and tbh, I didn’t like it all that much anyway.

Going to be moving into a different direction with that purchase. Bigger money purchases over recent years have gone to the home audio and vinyl direction while kind of the personal audio…kind of creeping back into investing in the desk set up.

I think if you wanted a hybrid the liquid platinum is pretty dang awesome pairing wise as long as you can run it balanced

Thats definitely the direction I was leaning.

Going to let that one stew for a bit while I enjoy the T1s and revisit some of my favorites with a new pair. Looking forward to playing with this set.

1 Like

Received. Gave it a few days of burn in before I had to give it a go.

The Beyerdynamic T1 was definitely what I was looking for.

These are full album samplings of what I gave it a run with last night while pretty high…and overall, great experience.

Ran it off the SMSL SU8 and SMSL THX888

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
I’ve heard this album every which way. Vinyl, CD, numerous bitrate samples, whatever.
Ran it off a HiRes 96/24 stream. The T1s gave this album the best spacing I’ve heard on headphones. The scant vocals (LOVE SUPREME…A LOVE SUPREME) were just right in front of me floating between 10 and 11 and 1 and 2. Instrumentals started to almost dual for my attention in and out of each track.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Another album I’ve heard every which way. Once the rain hit on the opening track, I knew this was it. The depth of the rain across the sound stage was pretty great and best I’ve heard on headphones. Clarity of instrumentals was pretty incredible.

Best way to describe the soundstage was…a wide narrow orbit. The depth front to back is narrow-ish but the detail on the horizontal is pretty impressive.

Comfort is out of control. I could listen to these things all day.

I have a feeling the pairing with the Liquid Platinum is happening sooner rather than later.

Any other alternative amp pairings you’d recommend me look into with the T1?

1 Like

That’s basically every Beyer ive ever tried but what they do the do great imaging wise

The t1 also performs very well with a tube amp lol, so lots of options. I think if you wanted to go for most fun, a bottlehead crack + speedball kit would be really enjoyable, but you do have to assemble it yourself. If you wanted to go for a more neutral tube amp that’s very clean and refined, but still encompasses the aspects of a tube, the hagerman tuba is a great pick imo. The liquid platinum is also real solid as well (but do make sure you have balanced cables for it), and would have the most slam to the sound, but also very nice sounding as well

1 Like

@M0N or anyone…

Good recommended cable provider right now…custom or otherwise. Thought I had a balanced cable laying around and, it seems I do not.

1 Like

If you are going balanced, a cheap but beefy cable can come from periapt cable

We also have some custom cable makers on here like @brux from Hart audio and @CapistranoCables from Capistrano Cables lol, both seem to do great work for fair prices

2 Likes