Looking to upgrade. What should I upgrade first?

@M0N @Ohmboy @WaveTheory should be able to remove that limitation for you, pretty stupid if you ask me.

These are the speakers I have experience with;

SVS Ultra Bookshelf
KEF Q100
Fluance SX6W
Edifier S2000pro
Micca RB42
Sony SSCS5

The only one that fits your range are the KEF but they are discontinued so you would have to go Q150 or buy used. Also the s2000pro but it’s active and i think there is better stuff out there for your money.

there’s a bunch in that $500 price range that is good though. I’m sure somebody can make some recommendations that have more hands on experience.

1 Like

Yep, @WhoFedGengar you should be good to keep posting now. If not PM me.

2 Likes

Oh nice thanks I wasn’t at my desk but I’m back now

It’s a bit pointless in my mind.
MiniDSP HD takes digital signal, fiddles with it returns it as analog signal.
Kinda pointless running dac → minidsp.
I mean you can use digital signal out from dac to minidsp but signal should remains the same/unchanged, no point in that, unless the dac has some other meaning.

Some like to dac a dac and dac a dac, cause they can, but original signal might degrade at some point so less sound quality, usually dacker’s don’t use highend dac’s anyways.

Thats kinda what I thought too seems pointless even if you did find a way to integrate it in the chain

Yes. No extra DAC’s.
This is the most common and recommended way to use.

If you just run speakers amp and headphone amp, hook both to minidsp.
Fiddle with signal if needed or wanted, think the same signal can be used with different output setting, so plenty to tweak and change.

1 Like

I use the other output for a sub

I have been looking at martin logans and found a pair of motion 15s for $520 refurb

Minidsp sounds great for a 2.1 listen/livingroom setup.went back and forth on just getting yet another cheap AVR but building a component setup has its benefits. Guess not so much when you are going for audiophile.

Gonna be honest I went ahead and bought the Martins. Now I am deciding on the amp so need to edit amp thread.

1 Like