Lotoo PAW S1 Portable

What are you using to drive them now? I notice the R3 Pro in your profile. I haven’t heard it but I would guess the S1 probably outperforms the R3 pro on sound. I wouldn’t say that balanced signal makes a difference in itself, but the general rule of thumb is if the device was designed with balanced output, then they probably put more focus on the balanced output implementation and it will usually be the higher performing output.

The Hiby has a balanced 2.5 but I was looking for something a little less cumbersome for my ipad and laptop

I wanted to share a couple updated photos of how I’m using the S1 on a daily basis. Really enjoying this setup all around. I highly recommend this if you are looking for an alternative to the DAP route.

Once I pick up a 4.4 cable for the JVCs I’ll probably be done fine tuning my EDC setup for a while. So much great sound for the money here.

4 Likes

A short write-up about the Lotoo Paw S1, Questyle M12 and L&P W2.

I just got the three DACs several days ago, so this wouldn’t be an in depth review or anything serious.

I think despite their price differences, the three DACs is somewhat at the same playing field, with one better at one aspect than the others and so on.

Starting with usability, I would rate them from simplest to trickiest as M12 > S1 > W2. The M12 being the simplest because there’s literally nothing that you can do with it. The M12 got an auto gain feature. It’s a plug and play device, but personally I kinda don’t like the fact that I can’t adjust the gain and volume myself. So, for the right people this will be a plus, but not for me. The W2 being the trickiest because the menu system is kinda deep. The S1 only has sound effect and gain in the menu, while the W2 got a handful of option that you can change.

For sound quality, I would rate them as W2>M12>S1. I think it’s closer to W2=M12>S1. It depends to be honest for W2 and M12. For the S1, it’s almost always that the other two DACs trump over the S1. Someone on Head-Fi said that the S1 can be better than the W2 depending on the synergy, and I still kinda believe that. I simply haven’t found that system synergy. So for now, the S1 is the worst.

I think one last thing that I want to comment is about the EQ for the S1. It’s kinda bad. It’s always too much for me. When you compare it with the EQ in the W2, you can clearly hear that the W2 is way more refined. For example the bass EQ in S1 is kinda horrendous IMO. It elevated the lower end a little bit too much and to make it worse, it bleeds to the mid quite a lot. The W2 on the other hand doesn’t elevate the bass too much and doesn’t bleed to the mid. Personally, I prefer the W2 EQ more than the S1.

So, if you have a limited budget, which one should you choose? I think if you don’t need a lot of power, I would choose the M12. The M12 got a more engaging and exciting sound signature. The lower end presentation is more pronounced and it’s a little bit more airy than the S1. If you need more power, go with the S1. If your budget is not limited, I would suggest you to buy the W2 and the M12. They kinda complete each other. If I can only choose one tho, I would choose the W2. It’s the best in technicality and deliver the most power, while at the same time sounds natural and can be tuned to your likings.

Size comparison between BTR5, S1, W2 and M12

4 Likes