The Shit List - hp/iem/sp/dacs/amps/sources/etc, never ending WIP (not a tier list)

Or do it legit Dave Gilmour’s barge studio on the Thames (tax deductible :wink:) …

:sunglasses:

12 Likes

Now that’s fancy as hell lol

2 Likes

Aye reckon you could put whatever you wanted in there to power and listen to…I think it’s moored on the river below his house :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Are you planning on doing a DAC/Amp combo section as well?

1 Like

Oh shit, I actually totally forgot about that. Yeah sure I could do that, but it’s going to be shorter

I haven’t had much time to really get to finishing things in general, will get to it when I have time

1 Like

@ShungiteTrillionaire added AIO section (although small), will get back to working on the rest of it when I can, and moved a few things around

2 Likes

So spent some proper time with the Bathys, and I don’t really know how to feel about it

On one hand, it’s the best bluetooth anc headphone I’ve heard (but I notably haven’t heard many others around this range), but I think my experience with this really shows me it’s somewhat a waste to spend this much on a bluetooth headphone in the first place.

It does have some of the positive focal traits like a focal esk stage for a closed back (although more width than depth focused leading it to lack the signature depth and precision within said stage), nice tonality (a sweeter neutral, I almost want to say a bit like a more bass focused stellia but it’s really been awhile since I’ve heard one to say that, also a bit more v shaped honestly), and dynamics are generally good. Also nice punch, but it’s not as controlled as I’d want it to be

It does improve a fair bit when using wired USB to a phone, really that’s the main way I’d want to listen to these, which imo really defeats the point. I also don’t like that you can’t use them as passive headphones either which means you can’t use them if the battery is dead. ANC is good but on the more mild amount and not as effective as lets say my qc 35s, would have to test on a plane to really figure it out. Comfort and build are great, battery life is also decent, and only briefly messed around with the app but nothing all that special there, eq was whatever.

Other than that, I think these are just going back. It’s not worth it for me, if you want high quality on the go, you kinda have to go wired to get anything decent value. To me the fact that it’s wireless really doesn’t justify the lackluster overall experience for this price point, knowing what better I could have for the same amount imo

It’s a great bluetooth headphone, but it sounds best wired over usb which defeats the point, and it’s not a good value sound wise, but I guess if you want something a shelf above the rest when it comes to bluetooth headphones it’s worth a look. Just know that you are paying for that convenience in sound (but you likely already knew that anyways if you’re on a forum like this lol)

8 Likes

@SandboxGeneral while I still don’t think I’m confident enough to add them to a list, I was for some reason thinking about bookshelf speakers that I had heard and enjoyed, and ended up coming up with somewhat of a list of things I actually liked enough to want to own at their respective price points, but it’s not sorted or ordered, and without descriptions, but it’s something lol

Check main list now

To be honest, never really looked too much into floorstanders too seriously since I was never really interested in them until very very recent, still think bookshelfs offer generally better value and offer more flexibility in placement. Only ones I’d say I’ve spent extensive time with would be the Borenson, Raidho, Joseph, Harbeth, Dynaudio, ATC, Voxativ, BMR, SVS, and Klipsch. Extended demos would be the Marten, TAD, Fritz, and Goldenear. More brief either show or friend demos would be the rest.

3 Likes

Very nice. I admit I’ve never heard of most of those you listed.

If you’ve heard all of those for any reasonable length of time, you have a good start already.

1 Like

I’ve heard most of them long enough to come to a conclusion greater than they’re good or they’re bad lol, generally wouldn’t put something in here that I think I didn’t have proper time with (which did cause me to omit some options that were fantastic but too brief with them to really say anything)

1 Like

Were these all speakers which have passed through your home before?

1 Like

Only ones I owned and had in house were these:

The rest of them were either listening at friends setups, at a dealer, or at longer demos within a show but really more the friends and dealers. Typically at least more than one time over time as well. The only one off demo I heard in the list was the vimberg which was only for an hour and so, but it was genuinely so impressive I had to include it

1 Like

Excellent.

I don’t have opportunities to go to shows, and dealers are few and far between from where I live. However, later this week I will be attending a small demo of McIntosh and Sonus Faber at a dealer not too far from me. I found this place randomly yesterday and it’s an easy drive for me.

3 Likes

Oh sweet, will be curious on what you think of the demo :+1:

1 Like

I’ll be sure to report back afterward.

I was clicking on McIntosh’s website and the find dealers section. That’s how I found this place I’ll be going to. It looks like a very high-end shop with a lot of brands I’ve not heard of.

I’m sure it’ll be a good time.

3 Likes

I’ve only heard a couple on your list but man the dyns and B1s are fantastic. Dyn because the drivers are amazingly smooth and the B1s hit way above their price point.

1 Like

Yes the B1 are real solid for the money. The Dynaudio is an interesting one to me, I was never really impressed with most offerings I heard from them, but the special 40s had this awesome energy and directness that I think a lot of their even higher end models lack, and it’s a surprisingly good value too. It’s picky on placement and sources, but man when it’s right it’s right lol.

Completely agree, I used to use those drivers in active setups in a couple of vehicles. Placement was key for that tweeter as it wants to be on axis as much as possible, but when you get that placement right holy hell it was amazing.

1 Like

You deserve a heart from everyone that passes this post @M0N. I’m blown away by the time it has taken you to not only write that up, but also spend time with all that gear!

I’m curious on one device though I didn’t see on your lists: The RME ADI2DAC FS? I’ve been enjoying this thing to death but my experience with source devices is about 1/25th of yours ha!

3 Likes

I will be honest, I don’t really like that dac. I think it’s mediocre for the money unless you really need dsp options, otherwise I don’t think it’s on the same technical level as other options in the price point. I don’t think there’s anything really bad about it, but I also don’t think there’s anything that great about it either. But the build is solid, the DSP is good if you use it, and lots of features. But hard sell for me personally

2 Likes