The Shit List - hp/iem/sp/dacs/amps/sources/etc, never ending WIP (not a tier list)

Will do.

Added the emu teak/fostex x00 ebony because I forgot about that one

1 Like

Wondering if I should try some higher end bluetooth stuff, Iā€™ve never really cared for bt stuff since honestly to me a wire is more convenient regardless of quality, but thereā€™s been a lot more interesting wireless options lately. Whenever someone asks me about wireless stuff all I can typically give them is a blank stare since Iā€™ve got mostly no experience with whatā€™s out there now, and feel bad that I canā€™t really help lol.

Donā€™t really know where to start, what are some of the options people like now? (besides like bose or sony stuff, Iā€™ve heard those)

1 Like

TWS iems or BT Hps?

1 Like

Ah thatā€™s true I could also look into tws, I was initially thinking more headphones but wireless items are pretty prominent these days too, I guess either or would be pretty interesting

1 Like

I be listing some then.

TWS iems:
Apple Airpods pro 2
Samsung Galaxy buds pro 2
Sennheiser Momentum TWS 3
Sony WF-1000XM3/4 (XM5 is most likely coming next year)
Huawei Freebuds Pro 2
Edifier Neobuds Pro

BT Hps:
Apple Airpods Max
Sennheiser Momentum 4
Sony WH-1000XM5

Listed the mainstream flagship models I know of.

2 Likes

Hhhmm I think people would appreciate your opinion on things like the deva and Amanda BT, focal bathys, martin Logan 5990(whatever the number is), and the B&W stuff. You know the more audiophile geared wireless headphones.
Then there is the slew of BT amps that could be covered.
I still think if someone wants to replace a desktop setup with one device that has all the connection options and can go portable the Ifi Gryphon is the best option.

2 Likes

M0N be likeā€¦

:grin:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to check those out

The huawei looks interesting for having a supposed planar driver for something more consumer oriented

Didnā€™t realize there was a new momentum, that seems interesting

Iā€™m a bit hesitant to pick up some of the apple stuff because I donā€™t have any apple devices in my house except a 5c and a first gen ipod touch (does that even have bt?)

the deva pro was surprisingly good, although I think carried by itā€™s bt module more than the headphone itself, the og deva wasnā€™t as good

That one does interest me

Canā€™t seem to find that one

Iā€™ve heard older b&w wireless and they did not impress me lol, will have to check if theyā€™ve done anything newer

I honestly tend to stay away from those, simply because I think if youā€™re going to have a wire, you might as well just connect the amp or portable to a phone as well and alleviate the bt bottleneck for not much extra inconvenience

2 Likes

Some impressions on it on hf.

1 Like

I think to start off, Iā€™ll pick up the Freebuds, Momentums, and potentially Bathys to start off with just to see. Will update when I get them in and have some time with them

Also change already, removed er4xr to replace with EVO, wanted to put evo in but chose er4xr instead, now changed and bumped up a bit more ranks. Seemed redundant also with having the er2xr in there as well

1 Like

I donā€™t recognize half the gear on this listā€¦ I must study this Holy Shit!! teir

3 Likes

Iā€™d advise against it unless you have too much disposable income :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

When I put something in that category, I think itā€™s the top of the top, and you pay for that performance lol. Used market makes it more reasonable by typically at least halving prices if they show up (couldnā€™t afford trying any of this stuff otherwise), but really though thereā€™s plenty of amazing stuff below that level that makes a lot more sense for a lot more people. You really want to be incredibly dedicated and experienced to consider any of the higher end options. I have no other hobbies and try and live cheaply as possible to put everything toward audio to afford some of the higher end stuff, but I also wouldnā€™t advise doing that since youā€™re likely better off putting that money elsewhere most of the time lol

4 Likes

In retirement, @M0N is going to be homeless, but heā€™ll have a reaaaally nice portable set up.

3 Likes

Retirement? Whatā€™s that?

3 Likes

Edit: Mark Levinson not Martin Loganā€¦ been looking at speakers way to much lately lol

2 Likes

Man, 1k for bt headphones, idk about that one. I feel like thatā€™s paying too much for something wireless anc. The focal are really pushing it, but 1k is really kinda the bar to where I wouldnā€™t bother with wireless personally. Although I am curious about them, but Iā€™ll try and find a way to hear one without dropping a grand on a wireless pair lol

4 Likes

Yeah please donā€™t drop a grand on them and I saw the price this morning and almost spit out my Cheerios. I honestly wouldnā€™t have bought the bathys if I didnā€™t find a deal.

1 Like

I just think if Iā€™m going to spend that kind of money, itā€™s going to be on something full sound focused rather than allocating some of that to convenience

2 Likes

Agreed! I had the impression you had friends of friends that might be in the business so you might have a better chance to hear them.
Shoot if Iā€™m spending 1k Iā€™m spending it on an iem since they usually have amazing passive noises attenuation.

1 Like