Mapletree Audio Design (MAD)

Digital out is only for digital in as in a DAC. If you had a 3.5mm audio out in your laptop, you could get a 3.5mm to 2 X RCA cable. I bought one of those before I had a DAC.

You can get a DAC such as a Topping D10. I bought a D30 for the wide selection of inputs. Not much more than $100.00.

1 Like

Thanks @PABastien! Shane: the MacBook has the usual headphone jack. But two problems: Iā€™d think using the headphone jack would result in bi-amping. Plus, the jack is becoming alarmingly flaky so Iā€™m reluctantly looking to bypass it.

True enough on the double amping. I just used it as I was anxious to hear the amp while I was deciding about a DAC. :grin:

A DAC will improve your sound and doesnā€™t have to break the bank. Or you can could get a nice DAC/amp, depending on your budget and what you need to drive.

Was jarred to see this listed on CAM, lol:

Totally happy with the sound straight out of my Mac. But $600.

That is the predecessor of my amp. I am sure it sounds beautiful. Add an extra few bucks for a DAC and you have a nice system.

And those HD600ā€™s will sing like an angel! :grin: :+1:

1 Like

Did you check the other one that was just posted?

Iā€™ve been using a custom model EAR+ Super for about a decade now and I donā€™t notice these too often on CAM. That black one is a great deal. I donā€™t need it but am tempted.

Edit - hereā€™s mine:

A little worse for wear but still sounding very good!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a beaut youā€™ve got there! Presumably youā€™re happy with its sound?

Yep. I did notice the black one being posted and was again tempted by the even lower price. There are several factors why Iā€™m reluctant to make a move at this time. But if/when I do decide to start adding external electronics to my KISS laptop+headphone system, on the one hand buying at such an attractive price makes the gamble a little less risky. But OTOH I would feel better about supporting a local small business by buying a new unit.

Maybe someone who owns a MAD amp should write a post on the CAM forum pointing out what a rare bargain these two units represent (as I understand it). A young person on a tight budget, who has got to the point of understanding what a tube amp could do to his system, should be snapping one of these things up.

what are the differences between the Ear+ HD and newer HD II?

I couldnā€™t speak to it, but you could write and ask Lloyd Peppard at MAD. He would get back to you today or tomorrow.
[email protected]

you donā€™t know the answer? you are dead to me Shaneā€¦dead to me! :wink:

2 Likes

Well I just finished most of a week with the Koss Electrostatics. Great headphones, but I bore easily. :grin:

I have been anxious to get back to my Grado/tube amp combo. I love these together as the sound is light, clean almost airy.
However it reminds me constantly that these headphones and this amp are my most bass light pieces. During the initial trial period I wanted to keep everything pure and judge from there.

I do like it butā€¦I decided first thing this morning to make a little change before I hit the lazy boy.
I inserted the Schiit Loki in between the DAC and amp. Wow! :laughing: :laughing:

Sounds SO good! I am set for another week. :+1:

3 Likes

when I saw the acronym MADā€¦I thought, Mutually Assured Distortion.

3 Likes

Itā€™s definitely not a well know acronym, but I am sick of writing out Mapletree Audio Design Ear+ HD II. That is an insanely long name.
So much easier to just say Tuba. :laughing:

2 Likes

Though calling it the ā€˜MAD Ear +ā€™ is pretty rad

2 Likes