Meze Empyrean one of the best sounding headphones

I believe there are 4 base models with options.
Basic OTL
Super OTL
EL34 SET
300B SET amp

Prices start at about $750 last I checked and I think the 300B is closer to $3K, it might be significantly more than that.
There are a ton of options on all the amps, whatā€™s usually called a Glenn OTL is either the Basic OTL or the Super OTL.

6 Likes

Ive been hearing a lot about this Tuba amp on this forum. Iā€™m starting to really want one. Didnt they go on sale once?

Itā€™s still on sale, or at least as on sale as itā€™s ever been https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/tuba-vacuum-tube-headphone-amplifier

Feels like the next sp200 or RNHP as in teh next big amp everyones into

I think it would be a step up for some headphones and a sidestep for others, but I do think it would be worth it

Itā€™s really quite not known and not big, made by one (very nice) guy. The only reason itā€™s popular here is because of a few select people lol

First known reference to the hagerman tuba on the forums lol:
See below post

Or this one a week prior. :man_shrugging:t4:

Ah I didnā€™t even see that lol, there you go

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
(20ā€¦)

So I got Empyreans yesterday and here are my first impressions after ~8h of listening:

The quality and comfort are amazing. The 3k kind of amazing. This is the main reason I picked these over something else. :slight_smile:

After watching and reading a good amount reviews I fully expected to like the leather pads more and in the first day of listening I didnā€™t even consider changing the pads. With leather pads they sounded good but not the 3k kind of good. Lower bass was a little bit too much and covered the upper bass making it less impactful and really dark. There was also this weird muddiness in lower mids that was most likely caused by a dip in a some very specific frequency. Certain higher sounds were also very tiring like they were left bouncing inside the pads.

In the second day I tried a different amp but the experience was much the same. After some time listening I finally decided to try the other pads and oh my godā€¦The lower bass was now tuned down making the bass range very tight and impactful, muddiness in lower mids was gone and the tiring higher sound where gone. I was left with something that is justā€¦ perfect. Just perfect. The 3k and beyond kind of perfect.

With the alcantara pads these are almost like made for me. The sound signature is exactly to my preference and the comfort is amazing. So thank you Meze for making the perfect headphones for me! :slight_smile:

(Note that Iā€™m mainly focusing on negatives in this and not the many positives that I experienced with both pads)

8 Likes

Did the alcantara pads come with the Empyrean?

1 Like

I go back and forth with the pads. For the first few months, I only used the leather, and then I switched and it was like a new headphone. I used Alcantarra for months and switched back to leather and fell in love with it again. Now I will swap depending on my mood. There were rumors that Meze was working on another pad to target a more neutral tuning, but I havenā€™t heard anything about it or followed up in some time. Glad youā€™re enjoying them. Itā€™s not always the first headphone I reach for, but nothing I own is as comfortable

1 Like

they come with both

2 Likes

Recieved my Empyreans on Friday and they have been breaking in since then. I cant speak to everyones wants but I am tired of the in your face ā€œHiFiā€ sound. I want something not too laid back but not as intense as the stereotypical hifi sound. Enter the Empyreans. They strike an amazing balance between laid back and detailed. With these cans I regularily experience that spooky thing where the headphones disapear. What surprised me about these headphones was that I could easily make out the strengths of each amp I plugged them into. When used with the smsl sp200 they were detailed but lacked a chunky sound. With the RebelAmp they are chunkier sounding. I will be trying these out on various other amps in the next few months as well. Well done Meze.

12 Likes

For me it was the leather because of the midbass bump. I liked the the highs where further away sounding very good detail.

1 Like

Does this come with both single ended and balanced or just single ended?

This headphone is so enjoyable and fun imo. And just about every Yosi Horikawa track is a trip :grin:

11 Likes

Used the alcantara pads today while working. They warm it up a bit and present such a relaxing presentation. Used them at a lower volume and it was really enjoyable.

5 Likes

Personally I donā€™t like to be tethered to my desk to enjoy the highest quality sound. I take music to the hammock on the balcony at 2am, or to an empty poolside after dinner. My workdesk is in a separate room and sometimes I want the best music while Iā€™m already relaxing on my bed. So for my specific use case, as someone who enjoys and feels the music more than I analyze the music, I auditioned a whole bunch of headphones over the course of 2 weekends with my iFi iDSD Signature and these came out on top, no contest at all. I compared the 800s, Clear, Utopia, Arya, a slew of LCDs, Beyer T1.3 (unfortunately they didnā€™t have Hifiman HE1000SE or V2 but they would lose on build quality alone anyway). Canā€™t beat excellent sound, perfect comfort, and being able to just take them anywhere with a good portable dac/amp.

I got them for a pretty good deal for approx USD 2K, barely used, with upgraded copper cable and a Meze headphone couch, all fresh with Novā€™20 receipt. While 2k can either be expensive or a bargain depending on how you look at it, and even at retail price I think these are still worth the price because I donā€™t have to spend another 2-3k on upgrading the amp/DACs that I already have now. I mean sure HD800s is excellent at half the price but then I know would feel compelled to get a better pairing amp and/or some tubes too for a good amount of money because I know what sound improvements Iā€™d be missing otherwise.

I donā€™t have a big collection of HPs and amps and dacs but I feel Iā€™m able to reach my end-game sound through a short cut. My short journey has been: Shure Aonic 50 -> Sundara -> Ananda & GL2000 -> Empyrean. All the while with a humble smsl su-9 sh-9 stack and iFi Nano BL / Hip-dac / Signature that can drive all of them to their potential just as well.

2 Likes

Hello,
According to the test, it should harmonize very well with the Feliks Euforia.
Charming he is yes,But the price of 3500$ you have not just shaken out of the arm for the Meze.
Also your 800 should go very well with the Euforia.
I have him there the Euforia and still at the burn in.But the headphones not to confirm that.
But what I can say that he shows the Fostex Tr x00 Purpleheart in the first hours of burning in already where it goes in a very positive sense.

There were rumors of new pads about a year or so ago that would offer a more reference tuning with less of a laid back presentation, but I havenā€™t heard anything since. If they ever did release them, I would likely pick them up, but I donā€™t see myself using them over the leather or alcantarra. I understand the reasons people donā€™t love these the way I do, so those pads would be for that crowd, but I am firmly in the pro-Empyrean camp.