Mid-Fi or Hi-Fi?

Ive been having the itch for new headphones and seeing this thread pop up was interesting. Looking through the many post in this thread, the only thing i still want to try under 1k is the lcd 2 pf.

The hunt for better dac amp combos has taken me and ive found that getting different sound presentations from the same headphones has become very fun but looks so expensive moving up and up. So ive told myself, time to transition from headphone hunts to dac/amps.

For me, Ive thought of the low-mid-hi-fi as just marketing. Segments the thought process of what should I get? How much do you have and what do you like? It can funnel you into the right direction or compartmentalize the way we think of audio tier level. At the end of the day, girls just want to have fun, and boy do I want to hear an expensive Amp paired with my dac to experience it.

1 Like

Interesting topic. Having just run a DAC test between the SU-8, which to me is more of a good entry-level DAC to the Schiit Bifrost 2, which to me is more of a mid-fi DAC, you can definitely hear the difference between the two. When you consider I started with a Topping MX-3 (definitely an entry-level piece) ,and gave the M200 DAC a good run as well, I now feel like I have some kind of handle on what differentiates each. While The Bifrost 2 is the clear winner in overall performance, I honestly feel that the MX-3 delivered the most value for money spent. Either way, the pecking order is clear; Bifrost 2, M200 / SU-8, MX-3. And so far, the price differential has scaled accordingly. After the BiFrost 2, though, here is where things are going to get a little less clear. Iā€™m sticking to DACs here because this is where I have the most experience thus far.

With this in mind, here is the questionā€¦ What would be considered the next level up from the Bifrost 2? The Ares II? The RME ADI 2? The Chord Cutest? And are these worth the price jump to that 1000 and up mark?

And up from that, well, screw that. I canā€™t / wonā€™t do that. It would be easy for me to just scoff at the high/overpriced crap and just call them toys for richie -rich. But that would not be fair. I have never and may never have the opportunity to listen to any of this multi-thousand dollar equipment, so I have no idea if itā€™s worth it. Iā€™m guessing no, but until I get to hear some of it, Iā€™ll just never know. And thatā€™s fine.

I am good with mid-fi.