šŸ”¶ Moondrop SSR

I bought the Moondrop SSR from Apos and they arrived in a surprising four days from China. I decided on the green color because it stood out the most. The unpacking was pretty basic but not bad by any means.

To my surprise, I donā€™t hate the cable. Usually a lot of these Chi-Fi IEMs tend to have bad cables, but the SSR is definitely passable. They are surprisingly small (check my Imgur album for size comparisons). Comes with a few different tips. None of them were foam so I threw on a pair of the T2 blue foam tips. Comfort is good; they sit pretty deep and feel very similar to the T2-T4.

Sound:
Not too warm and not extremely bright. They sound very mid-focused and not too sharp. The low end isnā€™t mind blowing but it is there and has a decent enough punch. Imaging is great and soundstage is surprisingly wide. They sound the most like the Tin P1 and a little like the KZ ZS10 Pro.

Quality:
So there is definitely a ā€œrattleā€ in the left driver when bass nots hit. Iā€™m sure I have a defective unit and will get them replaced but this isnā€™t a great look for a product that was just released. I will give a full review when I receive a fully working unit!

I canā€™t recommend them based on the quality issues but the sound is quite good. If youā€™re willing to deal with the Chi-FI QC lottery, then go for it. If they were in 100% condition, I would probably recommend them over the ZS10s and the T3.

If you want a comparison between the SSR and any of the other IEMs I own, just throw a comment and Iā€™ll answer if I can!
All listening was done on a Hiby R6 Pro, listening to FLAC and MQA Tidal streaming, using the stock unbalanced cable.

Imgur Link

EDIT- The second set I received has the same rattle in the left driver.

2 Likes

I donnā€™t know why but the SSR is like a drug. I can hear the lack of fine detail but the timbre makes me keep coming back.

Those are affordable to get and it seems not so bad to have, but as much as I want to get those I have the Starfields arriving soon and after buying the Starfields I would have to avoid buying IEMs for a while in general, for my headphones collection need to start sooner or later.

Got a pair of the white ones and I dare say these are one of the standout budget IEMs of 2020! Really quite impressed.

2 Likes

How close are they to the ER4XR/Ety sound signature?

1 Like

I havent heard the er4xr but its quite similar to er2se with the main differences being that SSR has puncher bass and slightly more full bodied vocals and significantly worse upper treble.

One thing off note is that I feel that SSR needs to be deep inserted to get the most out of it.

2 Likes