šŸ”¶ MoonDrop Variations

Hi! Is Variations a good match for prog rock, prog metal, djent, jazz?
Thanks!

No. Far too much sub bass tuning for the genre. Probably not the speed youā€™ll want either.

2 Likes

Thanks!
Any reccomendation for these genre, in a similar price bracket?
Currently own isn h40 and 7hz timeless but iā€™d like to sell both and upgrade somehow

The MEST MKII is the best set Iā€™ve heard for the metal genre. Sorry itā€™s outside of your price bracket but it really does it considerably better than everything Iā€™ve heard.

All the other sets Iā€™ll list will be compromising something but these are some of my favorites for metalā€¦

MEST MKII - above all
Fiio FH3
Fiio FH7
UM 3DT
KZ DQ6
DUNU Zen

My setsā€¦

@Rikudou_Goku I believe is giving a big rec to the Falcon Pro for metal but I have not heard it yet. Might want to wait for his review and itā€™s release. Might be perfect for you.

5 Likes

Intrigued by the KZ Dq6 and the 3DT for their unusual driver config.

Falcon Pro by noble audio?

Iā€™d rec just ordering the KZ right now. Just do it. For 30 bucks itā€™s stupid not toā€¦

@Rikudou_Goku kept pushing me to give it a try since I enjoy the 3DT so much for metal but I have not enjoyed any KZ Iā€™ve purchased so I dismissed it. I shouldnā€™t have because I finally broke down and said for 30 bucks, what do I have to lose? Iā€™ve been shocked at how good it is. A bunch of us now have orders in for it and some early reactions have been shockingly good.

Youā€™ll want a replacement cable for it. The 3DD driver config works very well for metal weā€™re finding.

2 Likes

Well ill try then, at least as a backup iem for daily raw use.
Hopefully would be good for Progressive music too, not raw Metal (e.g. death, trash, metalcore)

Itā€™s 30 bucks so donā€™t expect MEST MKII level performance, but you should be surprised at how good it is at its price point especially for metal. @Rikudou_Goku can add more since he has more experience with it and even has a mod for it he suggests that knocks the treble down a tad, but Iā€™m fine with it just the way it is.

Mele was my beater set rec for a little while but DQ6 beats it for me personally and is 20 bucks cheaper.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had my variations for about two weeks now. Female vocals on these things are amazing, but they are definitely too bass heavy for me. Iā€™m kinda disappointedā€¦
Would anybody suggest a fairly flat, bass-light set with a focus on female vocals under 1k?
Im ok with used gear

EJ07m, EJ07, Teas, Tanchjim Oxygen, Softears RSV

What is your impression after 3 weeks? Iā€™m especially interested if you think they are worth getting over the Blessing 2 Dusk (as many people say there is not a big difference).

1 Like

Absolutely love the Variations. My library is very diverse (from classic/instrumental over rock/metal to funk and electro) and I found it to play almost anything I threw at it to sound incredible. The only genre itā€˜s not made for is metal, but even that it plays well in my opinion.

The Variations pretty much addresses any complaints I had with the Blessing 2: better bass (both in quantity and quality), better separation, much better coherency, tuning is refined (compared to the Dusk), no sibilance to my ears, the treble is much better executed. Iā€˜m probably forgetting some things, but it is a substantial up over the Blessing 2 to me, be it the OG or Dusk, and one of the best sub 1k$ IEMs you can get period. But as always, your mileage may vary.

@Resolution I was interested in getting the UM 3DT. Driver Configuration looks interesting, but what intrigued me was that bass should be excellent and that they are great for Metal. You agree with that?

6 Likes

Ahahah u tripped me there with the tag :rofl:

1 Like

Yee sorry I messed up, too early in the morning xD

OG Androā€™s is what I use :+1:

1 Like

OG Andros have a good reputation!

For female vocals, with my library:

• Shuoer EJ07/EJ07m.
  • Mangird Tea.
  • Tanchjim Oxygen.

Thanks for your impression. Obviously itā€™s a subjective hobby, but itā€™s interesting to see that ā€œVariations is almost the same as Dusk and not worth the upgradeā€ doesnā€™t hold necessarily true for everyone. And since I donā€™t have a hard budget, it seems more sensible to me to spend a few bucks more for the better alternativeā€¦ still making up my mind about what to get.

What worries me more is the fit though, but I guess everything about that has been said already and itā€™s super personal. I think I will just 3d print a fake nozzle and see how well it fitsā€¦

2 Likes

Ohmboy, man i been searching for a pair since you suggested them on my ā€œupgrade from P1ā€ thread

1 Like

According to my nozzle imitation, the Variation nozzle shouldnā€™t be a problem.

Can someone confirm that the Blessing 2 and Variations have the same nozzle size (6.45mm)?