šŸ”¶ MoonDrop Variations

Thanks! Iā€™ll be rotating sizes between (M) and (S) of the CP145 to see which fits me better.

Will definitely give an impression of it!

1 Like

I use Azla light short on mine and itā€™s perfect.

I realized this myself just a few days ago. Now I have to buy a bunch of large tipsā€¦

How does the dip or flat section on the FR from 200Hz to 500Hz affect male vocals on the Variations?

So Iā€™ve been listening to the Variations with the CP145 (M) tips for about 10 hours now. I wonā€™t share my impressions yet cause Iā€™ve been busy with work but I think iā€™ve found my personal endgame IEM.

Listening to all of LOONAā€™s discography, including LOONAā€™s ā€˜Hi Highā€™ and ā€˜Butterflyā€™ with those wonderful vocals, sub-bass, lows, and no vocal sibilances literally made me:

chuu-loona-2

I donā€™t have to think of treble spikes, recessed vocals and vocal sibilances anymore.

7 Likes

Congrats!

10char

1 Like

So uhā€¦ The Variations is now mine :sweat_smile:

Had a meet up with my friend earlier today and exchanged notes with each of our IEMs. I told him that the Variations was literally made for my korean music library but doesnā€™t sound as wonderful when listening to some rock songs while the FD5 felt more comfortable on him. He only complained a bit of the treble spikes but other than that, it seem to be perfect for him. His prefer tuning seems to lean more towards the FD5 but wished the treble could be toned down a bit. He did told me that heā€™s looking into the Thieaudio Oracle or the Mangird Tea since our local audiophile community are interested in them as well so I told him both are hella great. His music library seems to aligned with some of you guys here (nymz, resolution, etcā€¦) so it was easy for me to recommend him these 2 IEMs.

So the reason why I bought his Variations was just because he hated the fitting. He couldnā€™t last 2 hours with it and thought it would be okay for his ears but it felt fine for me for long hours instead. He gladly sold his variations to me for practically the price of a B2 and he rather sell to me than to someone else or gave back to the audio shop. The variations was barely a month old used when he bought it. I told him I couldā€™ve paid in full for it but to him, itā€™s just a kind gesture and as a friend of having the same hobby and also seeing how much I loved the sound when it plays my music library.

So yeah! Iā€™m now an owner of Used Variations and itā€™s now my current personal endgame IEM!

18 Likes

Congrats! What a steal!

1 Like

Thanks! It sure does!

Congratulations. Variations are superb IEMs. For many people they may be the Hgh-end. The reason I didnā€™t buy them is my library and really FD5 will sound better with a rock music. Enjoy !!

1 Like

Yea, the Variations is practically made for tracks with deep sub bass and vocal tracks. The slower bass and a few other things in the overall tuning may not work as well for some genres, but where it works well it shines.

Hope you enjoy it.

3 Likes

Yup! I can attest to that. I find the drumming and guitar wasnā€™t that well pronounced in The Variations in some of my music library while the FD5 felt more natural and pronounced. Since my korean music library consists more on female vocals with those sub-bass focus, itā€™s quite a win-win for me! At this moment, while I feel the Variations can be my overall IEM, I personally feel my FD5 works best with rock and video game soundtracks. Soundstage felt the same while the variations having better imaging. Will take the time to listen more now that itā€™s mine hahaha!

Thanks! Iā€™ll definitely will! Just having no treble spikes and no vocal sibilance sealed the deal for me!

1 Like

OMG so happy for you!

So it happens that it is a good fit for you? I was afraid the size would be too big for you.

1 Like

Congratz!! Hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats Kalnet! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you! Yes! Iā€™m surprised myself that Iā€™m able to listen with the variations for about 3 - 4 hours hours straight, especially during work time! Itā€™s surprisingly a great fit for me! I donā€™t have to force it in and didnā€™t feel any pressure within my ears despite it being a big IEM. Iā€™m able to hear the sub-bass just as good without sound leakage while being comfortable with it.

I was quite worried the first time on how to fit them in my ears and all I did was to play around it till I found the right fitting. The CP145 (M) is just nice for my ears! Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m getting the CP155 in the future, but as of right now, the current tips fits just right!

I gotta say the cable isnā€™t exactly being my favourite right now despite having interchangeable connectors. It gets tangled up too easily and it has a more fragile feeling than the FD5 cable. I may get a replacement cable soon but Iā€™ll live with this right now.

Thank you so much! Iā€™ll definitely will! It plays heavenly with all my favourite tracks! :grin:

5 Likes

Hi! Is Variations a good match for prog rock, prog metal, djent, jazz?
Thanks!

No. Far too much sub bass tuning for the genre. Probably not the speed youā€™ll want either.

2 Likes

Thanks!
Any reccomendation for these genre, in a similar price bracket?
Currently own isn h40 and 7hz timeless but iā€™d like to sell both and upgrade somehow

The MEST MKII is the best set Iā€™ve heard for the metal genre. Sorry itā€™s outside of your price bracket but it really does it considerably better than everything Iā€™ve heard.

All the other sets Iā€™ll list will be compromising something but these are some of my favorites for metalā€¦

MEST MKII - above all
Fiio FH3
Fiio FH7
UM 3DT
KZ DQ6
DUNU Zen

My setsā€¦

@Rikudou_Goku I believe is giving a big rec to the Falcon Pro for metal but I have not heard it yet. Might want to wait for his review and itā€™s release. Might be perfect for you.

5 Likes