Multi Purpose Audio Setup: Gaming, Youtube/Videos

probably the 880 since 900 is incapable of installing new pads at this moment. 58x and 900 are very neutral so without EQ they aren’t all that bassy though you can always get the zen dac or use PEACE APO on the pc for quick bass eq and they respond fine. Since your concerned about isolation though and still want a very well rounded headphone id say 880 since its the semi open and if comforts a concern it can be pad swapped to some very comfortable pads

within budget for what your tastes in sound are… yes for the most part. If you were wanting to spend more I would recommend alternatives… however zen dac cannot drive the 600 ohm dt 880. You would want something more powerful & more expensive for that

Sorry about the somewhat late reply I have been bit busy, but

Is this really the only difference between the two? Other than slight changes it seems the new ones are just more money for somewhat the same thing here just a little improved and more open which like you said semi-open would problem fit me better here?

Is the 880 also neutral or where does it fall exactly?
Would the quick bass eq on Zen Dac work for them if I want a little more bass temporally?

Sounds good. But from all the pad choices what pads do you think would best suit me here if I went for the 880 while still being comfortable because I know pads can affect the sound and I don’t wanna mess it up either.

So do you recommend I get the 880 250 ohms, what exactly is the difference here because on the 990 they are 48 ohm which seems to be worse even though they are more expensive?

All in all, would you recommend I get the Beyerdynamic Tygr 300r (Recently heard they were good), DT880, Or the 990 Pro X. It is a confusing choice but I believe after you answer my questions I could probably eliminate the 990 Pro X and then get your advice between Tygr 300r and DT880 and what you best recommend for me :slight_smile:

no, they are entirely different yet similar. Similar in signature but 880 is the brighter of the two… both are neutral bright headphones but 880 is more aggressed while 900 is more rounded and relaxed, semi open vs fully open, different levels of clarity, speed, and detail that sort of thing. 880 is great if you can get the gear to support it

neutral bright like the 900 and 1990 though all 3 are different by quite a large degree in their own rights. I really don’t have the time right now to write up a large degree on the differences with that.

I mean, yeah its just a button you press to add bass is all… and it adds quite a lot more bass not just a little

stock sound keep it velour, okay with some alterations but want more isolation you could change to a perforated, want to add more bass without reliance on a bass button suedes but this will deplete the treble. keep in mind the velours will perform the best in any form of fps due to the nature of the signature.

900 are essentially just a different headphone for different reasons. They have their place. I don’t particularly recommend 250 ohm 880… it will work but its brighter and not as good sound quality wise in comparison to the 600 ohm. since a used amp and dac around $140 can drive the 600 ohms I see little reason to normally recommend the 250 usually.

Tygr is a slight V shape signature, fully open, and leaks more sound than the 880, yet will still fit into what your looking for yes. Any of the three will be fine. I can’t necessarily pick a headphone for you thatts of course your decision in the end.

900 pro x… not 990. DT 990 is entirely different

Tygr would most likely be the purchase it and be done with it headphone as I believe I have said before dont remember… its signature fits what your preference is it just has more recessive mid tones and isn’t the greatest on isolation… it also kinda sucks for pad swaps.

DT 900 pro x is very neutral all around… bright yet not too bright and can be driven off damn near anything these days… comes with thick pads but cant be currently pad swapped… its good for those who thought the 880 was just too bright for them essentially… and at the same time didn’t want to go out and buy some expensive equipment at the same time some may find the beyers too aggressive and in their face of which this one stands back and has a more relaxed presentation to it

DT 880 bright, extremely detailed, aggressive, pad swaps galore, demands stronger equipment, will grow with someones setup if they upgrade the amp and dac later from a cheaper unit. Can be bassy as hell or even somewhat dark, semi open and offers better isolation than the others, just as good performance just not as 3d in sound presentation. for gaming.

Any of the 3 will work fine… but depending on the choice wil depend on what amp and dac you should go with… if you go with the 880, its not out of budget… that ones quite old and you can typically find them at like $100-$125 mint off the used markets making it rather easy to have the budget for a good amp and dac for it…

do keep in mind your amp and dac will also govern how good your sound is as well… that is more of an investment so its a good idea to make sure you have a fairly good unit for the headphones… the amp and dac will most likely outlast your headphones and then some

Yes sorry about the confusion earlier and me asking so many questions haha but I am thinking about going with the 900 Pro X paired with the IFI Zen Dac V2.

I chose this because you mention it has more balanced high while still being neutral all around and can be ran off anything which is another plus.

While I understand they can’t currently be pad swapped I am ok with that I believe. And I think this is another good choice is because I don’t want to go out and spend a lot of money on equipment like you stated.

As I said above it is more neutral and I like how it is relaxed and not as aggressive in some areas which is a plus not to mention as you said before it will bass boost well with the IFI Zen Dac V2 Bass Boost button if need but I will mostly be gaming.

Just to clarify I believe the IFI Zen Dac V2 is a great choice to pair with the 900 Pro X, do you still think it is a good choice?

Well what do you think of my choice and combo I decided to chose for now, is there a better way or do you think I should continue with my choice and it is a good way to go? :slight_smile:

well, it is an expensive headphone plus your mentioning buying a zen which is a little over a $100… so regardless thats over $400+. DT 880 will run you about… $240 if you shop around smart

will work out fine in that case.

I mean how much quality/feature would I lose if I went with the DT 880, and would I still pair it with the IFI Zen Dac V2 if I did?

It is kinda a hard choice here but do you think the 900 Pro X is worth the money here or just get the DT 880, because I saw it would cost more than 400 but would it be worth in the long run to just get it or be better for me to just go DT 880?

quality? none… they are just different headphones with different signatures and presentations

already answered this earlier bout the 880 but no, you would not at 600 ohms since it will not drive them.

keep in mind I can’t make the end choice for you only help provide insight or advice towards it

I do, but it depends on a persons use case and scenario realy. It’s a damn good headphone but the price is a bit steep.

880 is definitely a better -bang for the buck thing- since it can be bought used(mint condition) around $125… then if you just shop around you can just go grab a damn Asgard 3 + Modius for like… $300 coming out to roughly the same cost you wouldve spent on a setup of the 900 x but a3+modius is an extremely damn fine setup. Or cut the amp costs down to the soundblaster g6 which is around $120 regardless your still paying either the same or less for the 880 for similar results. The difference between the two is that 900 has more stage and 3d sound to it, less brightness so if your treble intolerant its damn good, and it really doesn’t need to be too concerned with amps unlike the 880 which will grow with someones setup if they go down the path and get better equipment.

Overall your help was amazing, thank you for pointing me in the right direction and yes I am aware that at the end of the day it is my choice and you can’t choose it for me, after thinking a lot my two choices still are between the 880 and 900x Pro, if you have any suggestions or questions please let me know before I think about buying either. However right now I think I am leaning more on the 900x Pro :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help

I would suggest at that point, just give them a try man. Could always like amazon one with a return policy on it… find a beyer store as they are more than happy to let people try their equipment… something along those lines. They both are fantastic headphones for sure. I definitely lean more towards 880 for quite a few reasons, though if the pad swapping wasnt an issue and price was a bit less id go with 900

Asgard 3 amp would be an excellent choice for a all in one solution also… it can come with a built in dac or phono card depending on what it was ordered like and would power the 880 600ohm beautifully! You can check the used market for one also they pop up every now and then.