Mush's Odyssey: A Record of a Dude Finding His Perfect "Affordable" Mid-HiFi Audio Toybox

TARGET CONFIRMED:: WALLET LOCKED:: FIRE Y/N:: Y

I imagine this is what it feels like to have a crippling gambling addiction. Ive just run to endgame kinda and its scary how easily I pushed complete purchase. After having success with the HIfiman open box sale, I noticed that Drop has some B stock of certain headphones. So naturally I added the Koss ESP/95X for $350 USD and a set of FOCAL Elex for $550 USD… Well what does Senzhenaudio have for DACs? Oh a nice combo “deal” on the ole SMSL SU-9, DA-9, XML cable dealio for only $720 USD. Fuck my life fuck my wife boys! this might be more expensive than getting into crack. Hoping this will cover my bases for good. If I like the Elex then the Clear MG will probably come later.
is-it-over-is-it-done

He… He… HE THINKS HE’S DONE, EVERYONE!!!

9 Likes

The apocalypse is nigh! Mine ears deceive me and all is lost. I dont like the Focal Elex and I feel like all my expectations have betrayed me. I should probably start at the beginning.

I have made some recent additions to my collection. A pair of Koss ESP/95x, and a pair of Focal Elex.

First and second Impressions:

Koss ESP/95x - These are amazing and I love them. Ive been using 2049 from the Blade Runner 2049 OST as my bass test track. There is practically no sub bass here, no big boomin smacks, and that’s okay. Its a spooky effect because the detail is so good that the bass notes aren’t gone, just lacking weight. Like feather light bass notes that are still distinctly bass notes. Its as if someone took the note itself had just the boomy slider turned down. Moving past the almost moot point of bass, these things sound so natural and detailed. Listening to Albums by Nobuo Uematsu and The Fantasy Film World Of Bernard Herrmann, put goosebumps on my arms. My god all my music sounds better with these on. GUNSHIP, Miles Davis, Death Grips, Isaiah Rashad, Camp Lo… all of it!. I couldn’t find a song that left me thinking “this sounds bad”. These take the cake for comfort too. Light weight, a bit creaky but not enough to be distracting. I would add Sub bass and impact to the list of things I would like, but its not necessary to enjoy these god tier 600v anxiety inducing god tier cans :smiley:

Focal Elex: and this is where the hero begins to question all his teachings. I was so hyped up to finally hear that highly touted Focal sound. I dont want to poo poo these things… but I will. First the weight of them is at uncomfortable levels. Like wearing a cat on your head. Its not immediately uncomfortable like the Neumann NDH20, but its certainly not an extended session HP. All can be forgiven though if the sound is good right? well they dont sound bad. Unfortunately thats the main problem I had with them, they sound similar to what my Ananda puts out. The issue is in their performance. The aforementioned 2049 bass test is what cemented it. While my Ananda performed excellent and could handle the insane bass here; the Elex would start to clip/ pop at nowhere near the same level, like early in the bass rise. At the end of the day the Ananda are just better in every way. For similar prices I couldn’t see myself recommending the Elex to anyone when the Ananda exists in the same price range with Hifiman’s open box sales. If they didnt “clip” they would be worth it, but with the issues at hand I would say these aren’t worth getting at any price.

TLDR: Koss is Boss. Focal? more like poop poop poopy-cal. I had some issues with the Elex to the point I kinda hate them. I just shit all over focal and it hurts my soul a bit.

Please tell me im insane and that my ears are what is poopy.

Maybe its time to come and play with us big boys? Dual or more subs and noise! :slight_smile:
True, the elex dont give the lowest of low bass but i have not clipped mine with the same tracks? How loud you listen with them… my ears are terrified.

1 Like

I think so too lol. Ive been eyeing getting a sub for my stereo. I’ll get a db reading and some time signatures for comparison. They are a set of Drop refurb Elex. Who knows?

Edit: Times and levels - Track is 2049 off the Bladerunner 2049 soundtrack. Time stamp is 1min58sec. Db reading was 78dbmax off an iphone se using the NIOSH app.

So coming to accept these Elex with their flaws. They arent as bad as I originally thought. Just really let down with the lack of wow factor. Took a listen to more things and gave them another go around the ole library. For $550 USD I still feel they are a bit over priced. At $450 USD I could live with them. $550 has me looking at paying the $50 to ship it back. Am I missing something though? Like something that these things do better than other headphones?