My Experience with Kanto Speakers: Broken

@raepirate what kind of outcome are you hoping for?

My kanto’s Yu5 stopped working recently also and I contacted customers service, recieved a ticket but never received a call or response from them. The unit powers on and everything but produces no sound via Aux or BT. I ordered and replaced the B647A / D667A capacitors and TDA8920CTH chip but nothing changed.

I wish Kanto would give schematics of the boards inside the system since they are unable to assist consumers with some of the issues.

If anyone has ideas, please help.

Just out of curiosity.

• How old are the speakers
  • how long has it been since you got the ticket?

If the supply chain has some issues and stock is empty.
“If equipment fails because of such defects and Kanto is notified within 24 months from the date of shipment with proof of original invoice from an authorized reseller, Kanto will, at its option, provide replacement parts or replace the equipment, provided that the equipment has not been subjected to mechanical, electrical, or other abuse or modifications”

From an outside perspective. It does not look that good for those who have issues in this time period.

Unfortunately they are over 2yrs old but I hardly used them which surprised me that they would give put.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in technicalities. We’re still honoring our warranty but can’t do novel stuff like offer friends and family priced replacements, send new speakers before defective ones arrive, switch colours or finishes etc. Essentially we’ve gone from “outstanding support” to just “support” which is unfortunate because we typically do some out-of-the-box things to make our customers happy.

Would like to know more about @Paul_Davis experience and find out how long they’ve been waiting for a reply.

3 Likes

I received an email with a ticket number 02/17/2021 but never heard back.

I PM’d you

What’s funny is I’ve been having issues with mine for awhile and I reached out via email and phone months ago and nothing. I’m just stuck having to mess with the volume knob because the powered one is the one that cuts in and out. It doesn’t matter what I do it still cuts in and out. I don’t think kanto really honestly cares to fix issues with their products. I’ve reached out to several repair shops here and none will touch it and one told me they tried fixing a few of their speakers from customers and kanto doesn’t offer parts and are super difficult to work with so they just don’t work on kanto speakers anymore. Very disappointing all the way around. Hope you can get yours fixed!

2 Likes

It’s sadly true, we don’t offer parts. We don’t have an internal repair program for our speakers so we don’t keep parts in stock or get parts delivered with our speaker shipments. Any recertified / refurb speakers we put into the market are essentially customer returns that don’t have anything wrong with them and still look good aesthetically.

We’re currently in the midst of developing a fleshed-out repair program for our speakers which will not only allow us to expand our refurb program but also give customers access to the same parts we would have access to. It will be applicable to future products (anything built 2022 and onward) and hopefully, we can roll it out for existing products like YU2, YU4, YU6, TUK, etc. It’s brand new territory for us we’re unsure what we’ll be able to do with our existing audio factories / partners.

We are aware that our current system is not helpful for customers who are out of warranty and we’re not happy just letting it continue. No companies like seeing threads like this - we definitely care to fix issues with our products and make ourselves more competitive.

We’re still relatively new to audio and we’re still a pretty small company. We’re just getting to the point where economies of scale will allow us to have a technician on hand to work on returned speakers full-time and to create a new inventory system for parts. It takes a significant investment to support products past their warranty period. Unless the groundwork was already laid out at the companies’ conception, it means that some customers of old products will be left without answers, and new customers will benefit. Not ideal but we have to start somewhere.

I know this long post probably means diddly-squat to the people in this thread experiencing issues that can’t get the type of resolution they want. I’m posting so that future customers know that we are not stagnant and are actively improving the customer experience. I hope @jared_carrasco can PM me and let me know a bit more about their experience with Support and what kind of resolution they were offered - or if you literally never got a response which would be very concerning.

3 Likes

So my replacement pair of yu-6 speakers sent by Kanto died about 6 months after the first set died (this set they wouldn’t power on at all) Well I went in to see what I was going to get as Kanto only gives a 90 day warranty on replacement item they send so they were out anyhow… frigging mouse had crawled into the port and peed on the board, a couple caps burned/exploded. Must had scared the crap out of the mouse lol… but this time it was NOT kanto’s fault at all. I would suggest blocking ports for speakers in a shop environment!

Probably would be better and saver idea. Not to let any rodants invade a shop… health risk alone!
It’s pretty bad to get speakers from any shops with poo/pee or pests!

Usually the boxes should or are sealed if replaced with new ones.
Unless they are demo units or used ones…
Still c’mon who deals with that types on companys! Discussing!

Shop as in “workshop”/industrial setting

Update: After pulling the guts out of the powered speaker I turned it into a passive speaker by connecting the leads to the speaker wire ports. I picked up an Aiyima D03 from AliExpress and used that to power the speakers. I think it sounds better now than it did with the built in amplifier. The only thing I’ve lost is the phono input, but I’ll can add a switch (I also want to add my CD player) with a phono preamp later. For now it’s hooked up to my TV with a ChromeCast. Most of my media is played through Plex.

6 Likes

I’m sorry it came to this, but am glad it wasn’t a total loss. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nice. Making lemonaide out of Lemons. Well done! :+1:

2 Likes

I had exactly the same thing happen to my YU6 just when the 2 year warrantee expired by 2 days.
Anyway this would be covered? i definately was not expecting 500euro speakers to last just for their warrantee period. Apart from that I loved their sound and design. Let me know please

I couldn’t tell you without knowing details. Contact our support team [email protected]

Kanto support delivered fast and super nicely.
I think you are back on a good streak!

thanks!!

4 Likes

I recently purchased some YU6 Kanto Speakers and when they arrived I set them up but no sound came out, I plugged the Aux into the TV no sound, via a laptop no sound. I then tried bluetooth still nothing. Im awaiting a response from the customer support team. I just want them to work or get them replaced.

1 Like

Probably just a bad main unit.
Specially if both analog (aux) and BT digital side does not make sound. Not even static noise then its pretty clear. “kaput” from box.
Interesting to see if you keep us informed how long does it warranty process take and are there any issues or difficulties on the replacement process. They have had issues with these. :slight_smile: