Need advice for how to get a mic out of frame

The Supercardioid I tried for my conferences was the NTG3. I found it rather unsatisfactory for voices and you had to speak really precisely into it.
But I guess you will probably move your head less.
I would agree to @M0N and attach it in the middle above the monitor. You could try to reduce the reflections behind the seat a little.
I was able to achieve the most natural sound for my conferences with a borrowed Neumann KM 185. Especially off axis or with bad angle it didn´t discolor my voice. But a hypercardioid would probably pick up too much background noise in your setup.

1 Like

If you can use a lapel mic, honestly that’s the best option. I didn’t mention it because I would have thought it counted for in frame, but it would be the easiest most effective way to pick up your voice without picking up most of the problems

2 Likes

Put it in your helmet like F1 drivers do :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Røde Boom mics are designed for broadcast and film in a professional environment and are tuned for on site mic Preamps and mixers and a host of other modifiers to sound good. Specifically blimps and dead cats to mellow out the highs and cut extraneous sound interference.

youtubers mis using hypercardioid booms or not properly treating them because talking into long stick is A E S T H E T I C is why a huge amount of youtube videos are weirdly sibilant to me

1 Like

I would prefer the mic completely out of frame tbh, but I realize that there are some major issues with my setup that make that tough. A small(ish) lapel mic that just doesn’t block my face or torso in any major way is acceptable even if I would prefer 0 obtrusion.

You can run the cable under your shirt and clip it to your collar under your chin

3 Likes

And having no idea on how to properly process and mix their audio doesn’t help either lol

4 Likes

Even a Neumann can’t fix cheap preamps, no EQ and narcissistic Youtubers.
All just about showing off lol - Why else do gamers use
large diaphragm mics in what is probably the most unsuitable environment for them.

3 Likes

It pains me to see a high end mic just plugged directly into a scarlett solo or something lol

4 Likes

Hypercardioid is a different pattern my bad lol
Yeah. There’s this weird “Content creator bling” issue with streamers and youtubers where they spend hundreds on expensive mics and huge amounts of shit interfaces.
I mean look at Jayztwo cents. Spent 700 dollars on a mic but used a cloud riser and a scarlet or whatever and was confused as shit why it sound bad. Had to invest in a goXLR rig to get a half way decent preamp.
When that mic was designed for non Video broadcast booths, recording rooms etc. Properly treated and isolated to proper preamps and AD/DA set ups. not his white walled man cave covered in computer screens and hard plastic surfaces

1 Like

A Hypercardioid ist more narrower and more agressive in canceling but picks up more shit from behind it.
That’s why supercardioids are commonly used for boom mics.
But now back to the topic.

Edit:
wide - cardioid > supercardioid > hypercardioid - narrow
Espechialy hypercardioids need a very experienced man at the boom to keep the narrow sweetspot on the subject. The sound man must be careful to not record his steps or outside noise with the back of a hypercardioid. But it´s the best choice for recording voices in reverberant interiors. A supercardiod is a lot more forgiving.

2 Likes

People do the same thing for higher end audio, they go out and buy something like an 800s, arya, clear, etc, run it off a modi magni stack or e30+l30 and wonder why it doesn’t sound all that good

Anyways @eskamobob1 if you can bare to have something small and unintrusive on you, go with a lapel, it will honestly make life easier and would make it so you don’t have to go through as much effort and configuration to get it to sound good

If you really would prefer to not have anything in you or visible, check out something like that oktava MK-012 because of its wider sweet spot and more forgiving nature when it comes to preamp and adc (I’m not sure who said it here but small diaphragm cardiod or hypercardiod might be the play for flexibility, think it was @German_Power ), the audio technica I mentioned also does a good job there but with a smaller sweet spot and a bit more tweaking, as does the rode, but @PABastien is correct in that it has a higher potential to sound bad if it’s set up bad or attached to a bad preamp. Personally I think those can be mitigated enough to where it won’t be a glaring issue but it wouldn’t be the most ideal setup either

For other mics I would also look into a Warm Audio WA-84, Shure KSM137, and Sennheiser e 914 as well. As imo those are good for maintaining body with clarity to avoid being nasally or sucked out, have a large enough sweet spot to not be an issue, and generally should meet needs with the right preamp and processing. For now perhaps shy away from the audio technica or rode since I after thinking about it I am slightly concerned it might be too picky (but still think it could work)

Regarding the software vst plugin question, yes most interfaces come with a trial of a daw or vst plugins, but in order to use those real time you have to jump through lots of hoops and it’s kinda a pain, personally for an application like this, I really find that having a channel strip or some chain of preamp > expander/gate > EQ > compressor to give much better results and ease of use for realtime audio applications. Those plugins are made for working with prerecorded material in a daw, which is not your use case. It’s also more set and forget instead of having to run intensive software each time you start your pc and want to use your mic (which also adds latency, and you have to use virtual cables to route audio in and out of a vst host). There are interfaces which can do this processing in real time like the apollo but there aren’t many that are within your budget. For what channel strip or signal chain you go with will be determined by what mic you end up deciding on

4 Likes

The cable fits! It has to be good!

2 Likes

Depends on your budget, there are a bunch of options out there, something like a solid state logic ssl2+ along with one of the aforementioned channel strips would be pretty great, or you could try and find a used ua apollo twin mkii or quad mkii for a good all in one with nice dsp (in your case you would want the quad)

It’s actually a valid point.

By the way, talking of audio interfaces, what would you choose, from that article, Apollo Twin or Duet 2? Based on review, Duet comes with a four-piece breakout wire and it enables users to generate simultaneous outputs for independent speakers, which I like the most. I also need great PC and smartphone compatibility, as well.