Need good AMP/DAC combo for DT 1990 PRO for gaming/music

Hi guys i would like to hear some recommendations (price max 350 euros) for AMP/DAC in one unit. Also, should i upgrade default cables of DT 1990 pro ? If yes need good recommendations. If I should buy something more for this audio setup, pls say thanks for all answers :slight_smile:

Can you get a schiit product there? You could get a Asgard with a dac built in. theres also the Topping DX3 and DX7. theres also the SMSL M500. theres also the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2.

I would suggest looking at the reviews. its harder to find a good combo dac/amp. most use a stack. separate DAC and Amp

1 Like

If you cant get Schiit, I suspect the Topping DX7 is porbably the best

Fiio K5 Pro is 180€ via Audiophonics.fr
It gets recommended from time to time arround here, I am just not sure how the performance stacks up with the price change from US to EU.

Monolith Liquid Spark is 135€, as it is a amp only, you would need to get a DAC aswell.

With either of these, I do not have hands on experience and can’t speak for how well (or bad) these would pair with the 1990s. As the Liquid Spark got recommended in this thread I thought it may work for you.

The LakePeople G103-S is a more expensive option, you would need to get a seperate DAC with it (wich may bring you over budget).

Further considerations:

• You could get an Amp first and run it off your mainboard for now with a cable like this (maybe a bit longer :slight_smile:):

• Some DAC/Amp combo units do not have the options to feed them from an external source (phono-preamp, phone, etc.) or feed to seperate devices (speakers, different headphone amps, etc.)

• When you game, do you need voice chat?
    If so, what kind of microphone do you have in use (xlr, usb or modmic-style)?
    In case of XLR or headset type mics, something like the Yamaha AG03 my work nicely for you. From there you can hook up your Mic, headphone amp and still have an option to hook up to powered speakers

1 Like

I’m currently using a dt1990 and a Fiio K5 Pro. It does an amazing job.
The Zen dac is another good option if you want an amp/dac combo in one.

2 Likes

I know this is a bit over your budget but the ifi Micro iDSD Black Label is endgame material. An incredible DAC with an amp to power anything you throw at it. Plus it’s portable…

This may help https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/9v45wr/zguides_dac_amp_combos/

That guide brought to mind to other really good dac/amp combos. the Audio-GD NFB-11 and JDS labs The Element 2. Ive heard good things about both

If you’re also using a mic, honestly the schiit fulla2 or mayflower arc would be a good solution. Even a schiit Hel for the input volume control.

The 1990 pro don’t require much and from what little experience I have with them dont scale.

Now if you plan on getting more cans down the line you have a bit more to consider.