Need some advice (HP-3 / HD800S + dac/amp)

The RME ADI-2 DAC FS has me really interested now.
It’s a bit confusing since they seem to have multiple versions (ADI-2, ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 DAC FS, ADI-2 Pro FS). I can get it for around $1200 in Japan.
Just to double check, this is a amp/dac, correct?

Seems like this forum also has a dedicated thread for the ADI-2, will take a look later!

The A8 does seem nice, but the size, especially compared to the ADI-2 DAC FS is a bit concerning; would need to measure up my desk and probably move some stuff around.

2 Likes

I probably wouldn’t take it outside, but I guess I could also pair the HP-3 with my iBasso DT150 as well then.

I have not yet looked into a Topping stack; any particular combination that you would recommend? Seems like they have quite a lot of choices!

1 Like

Go nuts, it’s all available and should treat you well enough. I’ll admit for driving the HP-3’s specifically you can’t really go wrong. I’m struggling a bit trying to understand what is actually available in Japan for you to procure.

Version IEM out Headphone (SE) Headphone (Blanced) SPDIF Toslink ADAT AES Analog out Analog in
ADI-2-DAC FS :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check:
ADI-2 Pro FS R :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check:
ADI-2 FS :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check:

Not mentioned: USB, they all have that.

3 Likes

I usually first check e-earphone, as I can visit their shop and take a listen if they have it in stock. Other than e-earphone, I try get my gear from official local retailers or if the price difference is substantial (which it usually is), I purchase through a shop that imports foreign audio equipment. In this case, the warranty is nullified though…

This is great info, thank you!
ADI-2 DAC FS would be the one I need to look for then, assuming it pairs up nicely with an HD800S and/or HP-3. Need to do a bit more research on that.

The Rme Adi dac Fs is a Dac/amp.
It work only digital,usb,toslink and coax.Output balcance and Rca.
It is possible to recording with him when you would.
Have Remote control,Loudness fuction,5 Band Equalizer and another Equalizer.Crossfeed settings,Good power management,a dector in the connectors Jack.the Amp section is better as a Jds labs atom amp same people saying.Dsd possible,32 bit with 789 khz.

If existe a Fs R version and the Pro version.
The Pro is more for Studios,the Fs is for people would just hearing with good quality and the Fs R is the same with more option in output and input section for more money.
On youtube it gives same video about the Adi2.

You have right the A8 is a monster compare with the Adi2.
But not bad.
For two years ago i would buy it but i didn‘t do it.

Here is the Fs R version

Here the Fs version

The comes on the Market last year in November,with the new Akm 4493 chip and better updates.

2 Likes

Thank you for the input.
I went through RME’s site to get an understanding of the differences and it fits your description.
Whenever I searched the “ADI-2 DAC”, a non-FS version kept popping up so was confused, but seems like that is the older version and that the “AII-2 DAC FS” is the new version released in February 2020.

The balanced L/R plugs on the Pro version do not really interest me. They might have interested me if it was XLR balanced, but I guess this means I don’t need to worry about going balanced on the HD800S or HP-3.

From the manual, this is how you would build a converter:

2 Likes

I actually meant it would be great if the non-pro version had an balanced XLR input, or even a 4.4mm balanced input.
Guess with some DIY though, I could make the pro version work with balanced XLR, thanks for the info.

1 Like